To confuse everybody

Stynky Tudor

Like those damned grocery stores - just when you get comfortable with where they've stocked your favorite brand of hardtack, everything gets shuffled around and you can't find anything.

Well believe it or not - in an attempt to make this unwieldy vessel into something a bit more navigable, a whole lot of changes are on the horizon.

Now you don't have to like it, just pretend to.

- Stynk

Great...now I'll have to start drinkin again....

wait....eh?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Maybe it's because I'm Luddite and proud, but I think things work just fine as they are. The higher tech it gets, the more confused I get and the less I use things.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I'm all for the idea. The Pub is way too confusing, fuddled, and unorganized, making it hard to find things, or keep track of forums. Especially the events forum. Simplify, I say! ;)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Well, one can always hope.

You know, after a quick look in that forum, a lot of those events listed have never had activity on them. Do we really need to list every event in the known world, or could we only list major ones — Reenactor's Fest, Port Washington Pyrate Festival, NorCal, Ojai, Lockhouse, etc — then let people list smaller venues under a Misc. Events thread? Just a thought.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

I actually like the separate forums - in a way. I've had to go back to past events to look up info and it is much easier when the info is in one specific forum than in a huge mish-mash requiring a search (or several searches if I don't strike on the right word for a bit.)

Having said that, I think we oughta' have a current and next month calender somewhere on the board That's what I'd say should be at the top - not a chat room. The forum is focused on re-enacting, after all. (Nothing against the chat room which is a fine thing for those who like it, but it would be nice if it were on it's own page and you could click on a link to access it. Hiding it for folks like me who have an irrational fear of instant anonymous communication is all well and good, but it doesn't even automatically hide now. It seems to have to wade through all my settings before remembering to hide it causing it to appear for a few seconds at the top of every new page opened. Annoying. But back to the Events forum.)

We could also rotate the event sub-forums inside of the main Event forum so that the recent events are near the top. Come about this time of year, it's a huge pain in the arse to try to get to the forum for the current events. Personally, I think the calendar is a better idea, though. That way you intuitively know how the arrangement of the subforums will be inside the main Events forum, but you can click on a quick link from the calender for current events.

I do think Ransom is right about forums that have had no activity or less than a few posts (say, 3-5) after a full year has passed and all the events have had their chance. Stick the "Other Events" subforum at the top of the subforums in the Events forum and put a thread for each "less than 3-5" event in there. If more interest develops, then activate a subforum for that event. (To make this easier since so many subforums already exist in there for such events, you might hide the subforums from the general users rather than actually deleting them.)

Anyhow...that's my 2¢ on the events forum. Your mileage may vary. :P

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

The events forum is way out of focus and will need attention after this current phase of changes are made and have settled down.

But even if an event has been posted for a year, I'm not sure that's long enough for it to take root. In my mind if the promoter or an enthusiastic representative hasn't been invited on board and given the opportunity to advertise, do publicity, campaign for attention, take over and run the forum - I'm not sure that year is a measure of anything. The small events can't become big events if no one knows to go to them.

Plus similar to what I think Mission is saying, once events actually get joined up with the calendar and become active-clickable calendar events, they'll be much easier to navigate.

However, I do think we've figured out over the last year that we need to rotate the events, to keep the most relevant ones at the top of the pile.

But even if an event has been posted for a year, I'm not sure that's long enough for it to take root. In my mind if the promoter or an enthusiastic representative hasn't been invited on board and given the opportunity to advertise, do publicity, campaign for attention, take over and run the forum - I'm not sure that year is a measure of anything. The small events can't become big events if no one knows to go to them.

Well, that is a good point. Any event promoter worth their salt should want to get word about the event out through as many avenues, particularly focused avenues like this forum, as possible.

Still, if there are only 3-5 posts after that has been done I think a whole forum is a bit much (and I mean POSTS, not THREADS - a POST is someone commenting like I am now where a THREAD is a topic like "To confuse everybody.") Too many unused subforums causes the Events forum to be unnecessarily complex. Of course, it will be better if the forums roll over each month, although I wouldn't want to be the one in charge of that. (When do you roll it over? Sometimes the best discussions take place in the month following an event.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

To honest I'm still not sure how that thing is going to be reorganized in the end, maybe a forum for each event is a bad idea. But until everything is connected with/through/to the calendar, we're not really going to know - does form follow function or does function follow form.

I like the idea of rotating current events to the top of the list (or however that would work). My biggest complaint about the events forum is that it takes forever to find something, and after-event discussions/picture posting get lost as soon as someone else posts in a different event thread, and then you have to go scrolling/searching again.

Without the knowledge of the back room workings of a big forum like this, I can't recommend how to fix the problem, I can only point out frustrations with the current format — to be ignored or changed, as Stynky sees fit. B)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

What if recently posted to subforums went to the top of the list the way posts do? You could also have the topics roll over if you like, but that would be a better indication of what was active.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I was checking in, and then.....

"Hey... wot happened to the Airship Pyrate Topic...."

"OK... Stynky is moving stuff around again...."

"OH... you have to scroll farther down the page than the blue bar......

OK... I have it figured out now....... :D

Obvously it's just me.... but I'm so use to the blue bar... (hey wot color did it use to be befor Stynyk got playing with it

Anyway....

If you hit the Pyracy Pub/Pyracy Pub.... the second one....you only can see half of the Pub./... (yeah... took me awhile to figure that one out...)

So if you wanna see the Airship Pyrate sub forum..... you have to know to hit the left Pyracy Pub button......hit the right one... you can see most of the other topics but not alla them.......

Confused me...... (well that's easy) but wot about new people?

Correct, when you select the second Pyracy Pub (which will be going away) - that takes you to the Pyracy Pub Category, where the bulk of the forums live for the moment. . .

I'm going to mess all that up later toady though, hehehe.