"It's a magic kind of medicine...that no doctor could prescrib

Raphael Misson

Just buzzing through Woodall's The surgions mate and I came across this interesting quote on the causes of Tenesmus (which I would describe in layman's terms as a really serious case of constipation.)

"And sometimes it [Tenesmus] happeneth here in our Countrie, as some English Writers affirme, by little drinking of beere or ale, and sometimes it commeth by drinking too much wine, and by eating of costive meats, and superabundance of choler adust." [Choler is another name for the humor yellow bile - believed to cause anger and bad temper.] (Woodall, p. 242)

Wine was generally considered inferior to beer during period from what I've read. So he's giving you all a reason to drink more beer. (As if you needed one. :blink: )

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Yeah the English praise beer as the best, as do most of the other more heavily puritanical/protestant influenced countries (Netherlands, Germany etc.), but the Latin/Catholic countries (France, Spain, Italy etc.), it is wine all the way! Amazing how much alcohol consumption of the period ties into period religion and ethnography.

Of course then you compare the climates of the more protestant/puritan influenced countries to the Latin/Catholic countries and also realize the climate in the Catholic countries is better for producing wine, and the climates in the Protestant countries are better for grains like barley used in beer... And then you have to consider was there an element of nationalistic commerce protection involved as well.... It's almost dizzying when you start to consider the many different angles.

Michael_banner.jpg

Wine and beer need slightly differing growing conditions to aid production. Earlier records show that references to wine were common in Medieval periods in northern Europe but changed around the years of the later 13th century, it is believed in large part it was caused by a change in climate referred to as the Little Ice Age which lasted as long as 600 years by some experts. Little Ice Age

"One man's meat is another man's poison, I always say."

"And truly, Claret Wine burnt with a good quantity of Cyanmon and mace, and a sprig of Mint, and Powder Sugar boyled in it; and so the Patient drinking two or three spoonfuls of it ever when he feels heart qualms and faintness [when he has dysentery]: I will assure you 'tis none of the meanest of Cordials." (John Moyle, The Sea-Chirurgion., p. 175)

"The wine is quite excellent. Although for such a grand disease I would have expected a claret."

"But of course. Unfortunately our hold is poorly stocked with clarets."

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg