WANTED: CHEAP PIRATE SHIRT

Aye.. I be in search fer a nice.. white/cream/dirty white shirt that pirate's wear. I be a lass and have a wench's dress, but I always be on the lookout fer a nice shirt of that sort. I been seeing some ( I been looking on eBay) but many of them are over $30. (call me cheap but with me being a pirate and having the heart fer treating many drinks, I haven't the money) I not be wanting much to spend over $30, so if ye see anything out there, thanks, mate! B)

Cabinlass Maggie

It'll be the rope's end for that one, me bucko.

Hi ya Drunk!

It's going to be hard to find one for under 30.00. The cost of the fabric alone in some cases is 30.00. Maybe you could talk to someone that sews and do a trade for a shirt, or if you know someone ask them if they could make one for you.

I know the shirts I've made in the past were 30.00 for the fabric, but then you have to count in the costs of the labor also. From start to finish it might take five hours from cut, sew, trim and finish, but sometimes segnifigantly less time. I'll keep my eye out for someone that does inexpensive ones and let you know. :)

Try doing a search on dogpile or yahoo. Maybe something will come up.

Izzy

Prolly the best deal I've found is at Moonstruck Creations. They have an "economy peasant shirt" for $27. The picture they show makes it look like a pretty uptite, pointexterish shirt (in a renaissance way,) but I have one and have found it pretty versitile - loosen the collar and muck up the sleeves and it looks like a different shirt altogether. It also bleaches like a charm, if you don't want the "natural" color.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

The other thing you can try is www.gothicauctions.com. They have great deals. I got an International Male shirt with ruffled front for $5 instead of the $75 they want for it new. AND, it's in great shape.

Fair winds,

Trapper

Captain of the Tinker's Damn

I have several gauze shirts with lace up collars I got for $13 at Walmart, of all places.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Do what I did...learn to sew. If ol' Broadside can learn... I assure you, you can.

I have some pics (that I'll post soon) of a shirt I made for a friend for around $15. I paid $55 for a similar shirt at a Ren Fest before I learnt how to sew.

Broadside

:ph34r:

Every normal person must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats! - Lucanus

:huh:

El pirata looks like he gave a rather good offer. I can also make ya one & ship it to ya. No charge really... I have a butt load of material here & need to use it up. I'm desperate to get rid of some of this material, making it into some costumes.

Let me know... I don't use a pattern, just give me your measurements... I do it by memory now in the 18th c style. Having made a couple already. Easy as hell to make them. Just tell me if you want ruffles or not. Such as ruffles on the sleeves & front .. or just the sleeves or no ruffles as all. Small collar, big collar... big poofy sleeves or narrow sleeves, hip length or longer... etc. :huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 weeks later...

Pah! The cost of material to make a shirt like that is NOT anywhere near $30.00, trust me. I sew all the time, and the fabrics that are used most often, including muslin, cotton and cotton gauze is all very cheap and available for $15 and under, and that's for some particularly good specimens of said fabric.

What you must do is fine an online recreator who sews costumes. Most are usually very reasonable people, and I bet if you email them and ask for a cheaper material, they'll find it for you. Either that or learn to sew. It's painless... in fact, I love it! X_x But that's just me.

Also, use Captain Wolf's answer to all things: EBAY. keep looking, you are bound to come up with something cheaper.

Captain Wolfy Wench

Well me pirate friends, I just got back from me local thrift store and I scored. Not only did I find several pirate worthy shirts, I also plundered a pair of piratey boots

Let's see if this picture comes out?

Nope ...visit the website.

My Webpage

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.