The PiP Poop Deck

Fayma Callahan

This is going to be the main place for me to put things into, answer questions and give information. The most important item of business is :

Links to important forms/maps etc.:

Black Powder Safety Rules

https://pyracy.com/pub_gallery/2009pip/blackpowdersafety.pdf

Green Seal Image

https://pyracy.com/pub_gallery/2009pip/greenseal.jpg

Fort Taylor Overview Map

https://pyracy.com/pub_gallery/2009pip/mapoverview1056x880.jpg

Pirates In Paradise Registration 2009

https://pyracy.com/pub_gallery/2009pip/pipregform2009.pdf

Contact Information:

Fayma Callahan- 812-290-6056, email: faymacallahan@aol.com or pm me here

Iron Nigel, QM of BIB- 305-731-4610, email: ironquartermaster@gmail.com

Spike, Captain of BIB- 305-295-9195, email: spikekeywest@yahoo.com

I will update this top section as needed with important information, now on with the show!

Edited by Fayma Callahan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess for those that don't know, I'll start with how my role in PIP came about. I now live in Key West, having relocated a month ago to take a job here. So, I jumped into the meetings at the Fort and have been asked by Spike and the BIB to help with all the coordination for the event. Tony is still in Indiana, pending a GE layoff, so he will be able to handle some of the helping to get things down to PIP from our area. If there are any problems, questions, concerns or issues, PLEASE do not hesitate to contact me. There is no "Inner Circle" that we are all not a part of. The only things that were done, were done on my behalf, and at my request, were the posts asking for information and planning. We are ALL open to anything, especially ideas, that will make this the best PIP yet.

1- Reenactor Forms- Same format as last year, but we do not as of yet have a fax number to send them to, so please follow the mailing instructions. I have asked Stynky to help me post them here for download as well as on Harry's site. I believe he should have it up.

Harry's site to pick up form: forttaylor.org then go to the Fort Taylor Pyrate Festival link and it is at the bottom.

2- Vendor Forms- Email Spike directly for these, he is handling all the vendors this year: spikekeywest@yahoo.com

They are also ready for use.

Copies of both forms will also be provided in every welcome packet, but it will save a lot of time if we have them by November 1, 2009. If you need to wait until the event to fill it out, let me know via email so I can at least have your name at the gate to enter.

3- Meals and Provisions- There will be a separate thread for this, but quite a number are provided this year. If there isn't a designated provider for a specific meal, then they will be considered "on your own". Just something to be aware of in planning.

4- Fires and Braziers- There are only going to be 5 total fires allowed. This is the same number it has always been. We may have as many braziers as we want, and can use the ones that are in the encampment as well. We are trying to set the encampment up so that access to a fire will be easy. The fires are: 1-Fort, 2-Mercury/Hide, 3-BIB, 4-Archangel, 5-Buccaneer Camp/Hurricane's Crewe. We put the buccaneer camp and Hurricanes fires together, so that the Boucan Demo can have a front row placement, and so that there was a spread out of the fire placements. These are set up as "common fires" and anyone may use them for cooking, or bring a brazier for their own individual use.

5- Firewood/charcoal- Please bring your own firewood for fires if possible. The fort will not be providing it this year. Since the pines are still standing, their source of wood has depleated and must be used for the volunteers that live at the fort. PLEASE DO NOT BRING BAYWOOD. It is the only restriction that I have been given regarding this. If there is anyone who needs to have wood brought for them (flying in etc.), please let me know as Tony will be driving from Cincinnati area, and will be able to haul some from there. If you want to do the charcoal for the braziers or park "grills" that would also work fine.

6-Black Powder Rules- The packet is exactly the same as last year, and will be in the welcome packets. All shooters must sign the form at the back of the packet before or at the first safety meeting. I will also have Stynky "sticky" all the forms in one place for everyone.

7- Shipping to PiP- The fort will accept packages ONLY the week of the festival, and I am not sure who is in charge of receiving them anymore. That duty (used to be Harry), has been reassigned almost daily. I strongly suggest that anyone wanting to ship, send their packages directly to my home. I am willing to transport them to the Fort at an appropriate time. I recommend either USPS or UPS, as they both have "store fronts" here for return shipping. Email me for the address, and we can work out details individually.

8- Showers- After a lengthy discussion as to how to manage hot showers for participants, we have finally reached an accord. Callenish is providing the "set up" but there were many issues as to the "grey water", and the solution was a compromise. It has been asked that we use "Green Products", so that we can just drain straight to ground. David was very specific on which products "qualified". They must have a specific logo, which will also be in the pinned items. But the website that he used to locate these products is: www.greenseal.org Look for the "checkmark". If we find that there is too much trouble finding products, let us know. We have discussed purchasing the "correct" soaps and just providing them, but were unsure if this was really an issue for those not living on the "island" as materials on the mainland are easier to come by.

9- Duty Roster- We have asked for help in doing some of the chores this year. There are now several things that are being asked of us, so that we are doing our part as park volunteers. It is how we are "paying" our way to free accommadations in Key West, so I hope you will all understand that the BIB and myself can't do all these things. Lily has made a spreadsheet showing the needs with slots to sign up for a certain duty for a certain day. We are not asking anyone to "work" their whole vacation, but many hands will make light work. Small price really, to wake up with the ocean view, I'd say. If there is anything that we want to handle as a group that is not on the list, please let us know, and we can add it. This is the sign up for the gate duty etc. See other thread.

10- Safety/Medical- If there are people that are Nurses, Paramedics, EMT's etc. that are interested in being camp medics, please email me, I would like to have a list of qualified people, so that if there are any medical needs, that people know who to go to. I think most crewes have at least one among them. The official "first aid" station will be at the information booth in the fort, but I have materials to make several first aid kits, so we may want to have them with these people, at the encampment as well.

11- Water and Gatorade will be provided. If anyone would like to have the gatorade at their camp, it will be a mix type, so it can be placed into a round drink cooler. We have asked that the Hide have these drink coolers for the overall group at the encampment, and I will have them at the fort at the information booth. If anyone has these drink coolers and wants gatorade, just let me know.

12- Footprints- Keep them coming!! I am building an overall map of the encampment with Jack Roberts. Hopefully it will be a really neat addition to the thread, and will also allow us to print it for those who are not on the pub.

13- Safety Officers- If each crewe wants to designate a safety officer, that would be great. Each area of where we will be firing will have an overall safety officer, but there is nothing more important than SAFETY. If you would like to volunteer to be on the safety officer listing for the areas, please let me know.

14- Demos- This has it's own thread, and it's off to a wonderful start! There are so many topics that are great for the living history, and this is an area that David is VERY interested in seeing. Keep up the great work there!

15- Musicians/Performers/Random Acts- Bawdy Be will be acting as the "Entertainment Director" for the grounds and the pub stage. If anyone wants to play/sing, let me know and I will get her your contact information. We want to make sure that everyone who wants to play has a chance to be on stage.

Long Post, but I think that's it for the moment.

Only 74 more days until we can all be together again...we really miss our family and cannot wait for this reunion! The 10th anniversary will be a really special year!

Fair Winds and Full Holds,

Fayma

Thanks for the updates Fayma.

As stated, I will be posting the duty roster in a separate thread on Monday. I will be out of town until then and would prefer to post when I'll be available to answer questions or comments.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Just a suggestion; due to several states banning transport of firewood across state lines in efforts to curb the spread of invasive species, your firewood provider may want to check with all the states he is planning on travelling through ahead of time. This will prevent a huge inconvenience should any state turn him back with a load of wood. just a thought.

Bo

• 3 weeks later...

Aye,

being a noob to this event, when should we expect to receive some response to the re-enactor registration form?

I have me airline reservations completed, just trying to stay on top of the game...

Thank Ye Kindly,

madPete

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

We don't usually get stuff back from the registration forums until mid-November. Last year there was a whole packet of stuff including rules, guidelines and gate entry passes. I think they're going with coins instead of passes this year from what's been said, though. If I am recalling correctly, they had a gate pass card and a token of some sort last year, although I never got a token. (Either that or I lost it, which is highly likely.)

BTW, to add to Fayma's link, for those you who (like me) haven't sent in your registrations you can get them to pop up on your computer via this direct link:

http://www.forttaylor.org/pipregform2009.pdf

You can now fill it out on-line and then print it out all purty to simply sign and send. (No email option, but at least you can type it in now. :P )

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

MadPete-

We have received your registration, and ye be on the list mate! The information for the packets is at the top of this post, available for download now. We will have information packets at the event when you check in. These packets will have your "passes" both for the event and for any vehicle that you may have. If you need any further information prior to the event, please do not hesitate to contact me at (812)290-6056 or via email at: faymacallahan@aol.com We are looking foreward to seeing everyone! This is going to be the best PiP yet!!

Thanks,

Fayma

I was reading thru the rules regarding black powder weapons and had a couple questions . . .

Are we going to be switching to paper wrapped charges instead of foil as we have used in the past?

Are we going to be required to install flash guards and hammer stalls on weapons that never had them?

Will we be required to have at least 4 crew per cannon?

I am constructing a bucanneer musket with an early lock which has a safety but is a seperate lever that slides into place, as this is not a "half-cock" but still a safety is this allowed?

These are just a few questions I had and thought I would post them as others might be wondering about them as well.

id.jpg

Vintagesailor...please see your pm

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

MadPete-

We have received your registration, and ye be on the list mate! The information for the packets is at the top of this post, available for download now. We will have information packets at the event when you check in. These packets will have your "passes" both for the event and for any vehicle that you may have. If you need any further information prior to the event, please do not hesitate to contact me at (812)290-6056 or via email at: faymacallahan@aol.com We are looking foreward to seeing everyone! This is going to be the best PiP yet!!

Thanks,

Fayma

Ah! So nothing will be mailed this year? (Just to make it crystal clear for everyone.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I was reading thru the rules regarding black powder weapons and had a couple questions . . .

Are we going to be switching to paper wrapped charges instead of foil as we have used in the past?

Are we going to be required to install flash guards and hammer stalls on weapons that never had them?

Will we be required to have at least 4 crew per cannon?

I am constructing a bucanneer musket with an early lock which has a safety but is a seperate lever that slides into place, as this is not a "half-cock" but still a safety is this allowed?

These are just a few questions I had and thought I would post them as others might be wondering about them as well.

Good questions. I hope the answers are posted. For instance, if flash guards are required I won't even need to bother packing the guns down to Key West. If you find out Vintage, let everyone know.

By the way, at the event in Key Largo on the 24th of this month, we have no stinkin' rules. (muhahaha)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

:P Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

:

Links to important forms/maps etc.:

Black Powder Safety Rules

Contact Information:

This can be found at the beginning of the thread

Crewe of the Archangel

So if I have read this correctly, all firearms will have flash guards? Including pistols? I just want to make sure I am reading that correctly.

Another item that has me somewhat confused (not that it affects me, I ask from curiousity), is the 1675 to 1730 reproduction weapons. Does that mean Brown Besses and Charlevilles with metal ramrods will not be allowed? As the metal ramrod was for the most part a 1740 or later addition to these styles of weapons?

I ask these questions only because in previous years, these rules had been interpreted with some flexibility (i.e. flashguards were not required on pistols or long arms if one was not firing in "closed" formation), and also because many of the early style weapons (particularly the English/Jacobean style locks which are popular in this time frame) can not be fitted with a flash guard.

Michael_banner.jpg

Before installing any flash guards WAIT until we have this nailed down... as flash guards were always included in the regs in years back but were waved for units that did not fight in traditional shoulder to shoulder formation as for example Brit Regulars... instead, line officers were supposed to maintain safe distances between those that were firing small arms on the firing line.

with the new management we are trying to settle this issue and several other issues that have come up with these regs which are based on what they do for Civil War at the Fort...these were not drawn up new for us this year (just, supposedly "tweaked")...there are numerous other examples that need to be addressed as well...

I hope to have this settled by Wednesday evening at the latest...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

Sterling, while you are nailing that down, can you also check on then dates of the weapons required? I was thinking of bringing my old standby battle piece, a 1640's Littlecote doglock carbine. Perfectly correct historically, but not legal by those regs. We're dealing with a period where the warrants for weapons were flexible at best, non existant in many cases. tying us down to a limited set of weapon years seems to fly in the face of making us look right.

Thanks,

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Agreed Hawkyns... as Mickey stated the rules were always there but were never hard core nor inflexible... our first year we knew more about our weapons than some of the safety officers,(kept telling us our half cock on our doglocks was "broken" and we had to explain several times what the damn dog was for...also had no idea what a fishtail was...) but they were happy to learn...and so new period pieces were immediately allowed...considering they allow percussion cap pieces I think the date thing is just to keep the way out of period things from suddenly showing up on the field...

Crewe of the Archangel

One answer so far....

paper cartridges for small arms (pistols, muskets, busses and the like)

foil for cannon charges only

Crewe of the Archangel

Right then, regarding the safety regulations...they will be enforced the same way they were last year and the weapons that extend slightly outside the provided time frame will be allowed.

Crewe of the Archangel

Ah! So nothing will be mailed this year? (Just to make it crystal clear for everyone.)

No nothing will be mailed!

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel