new cannon

casketchris

Hey, Harbormaster, not to hijack the thread, but what is your beer can mortar made out of? I know a guy who re-purposed the cylindar barrel from an old hydraulic garbage truck ram (his logic being it is already pressure rated at comparable forces) and made it into a beer can-non.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Hey, Harbormaster, not to hijack the thread, but what is your beer can mortar made out of? I know a guy who re-purposed the cylindar barrel from an old hydraulic garbage truck ram (his logic being it is already pressure rated at comparable forces) and made it into a beer can-non.

Old Hydraulic stuff is good steel. Could even be DOM ., I bet its buffed ., We used 660 Bronze

NavalSled008.JPG

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Oh, wow, she's gorgeous!

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Old wheel weights from the tire shoppe and mangled-beyond-use fishing sinkers make good stuffin's too. If you know anyone working at an electronics manufacturing place, sometimes you can get the tailings from the cast machinery for nothing. Too much tin and other alloy to use for bullets, but make fyne cannon fodder.

Bo

The outer is 4 1/2" and the bore is 2.68 . I know what your thinking !!!! I cheated ..., well I do not cheat on metal ., thats how accidents happen ., it is very important to stick to the rules. ! Caliber Rule minimum. As you can see the Projo (Beer~Can) Sits at the bottom of the bore ., where there is a 1 1/4"Sub Chamber in the 4"Breach ;) . Just so everyone knows ., The Coehorn design ., was invented by a Dutchman ., Baron Von Coehorn I believe in the 1640's thus being period correct thru WWI used in the European trench wars. What Coehorn really invented ., was this sub~chamber idea ., as it allowed thinner barrel walls ., with a meaty breach ., I.E. Civil War Mountain Howitzers for example ., these Howitzers were sub~chambered using Coehorn idea. The Idea was his way of creating a mortar 4 men could carry. One man on each corner could carry a 24lb mortar wherever it needed to be in battle. Much lighter. Look down my barrel ., I know its not a good photo .,but you can see the sub~chamber.

NavalSled007.JPG

Edited by HarborMaster

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"