Making black fabric lighter......

René la Gaffe

Well mates, a lucky thing occured. I was gifted 4 yards of linen....only problem is...its jet black.........and i dont want anything i make from it to seem rich...or as if i was mourning.......im aware that black wasnt the most uncommon color, but I feel its too black for a black man to afford.......wow that sounded.........*cough......... SOOOOO whats a good way to fade it quickly? though i could indeed use the sun, but id like to get it to an even coal grey.......OOOORRRR am i just freaking out, and it isnt all that much a problem .......i was thinking of making a sleeved waistcoat out of it, and mabey breeches if theres left overs...but not to wear at the same time........what say you guys?

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

Ok it's going to be really hard to "fade" the fabric. The color that it will fade too depends on the base used in the dye, usually blue or brown.

You can try bleach. I've had good luck with "Oxi-Clean" on different colors. I would test a couple of swatches first and be really scientific with said tests. Watch your chemical ratios and times in the bath and time with rinses. That way you can get repeatable results.

If you use bleach you might be able to try to see what your washing machine does to it. Of course try these suggestions at your own risk.

It's going to be a tough project. Not impossible but risky in my opinion. You might end up with something you didn't want. Test on swatches first. Have fun!

RIT has a pretty good dye remover...

depending on what you ultimately want to do with it bleach could have a cool effect though. Sometimes blacks bleach out pinks/ reds or greens... I've had all sorts of wacky experiences with the stuff in my teenage years. =P I would cut a few pieces and play with different concentrations of bleach, making sure to wash out and rinse thoroughly, otherwise you will totally destroy the fabric which, could be a cool effect in itself.

Then, you can either leave the color it turns or dye over it with browns, reds or greens or use home-made natural dyes to get more earthy, distressed tones.

You cal always try just leaving it outside for awhile in an area that gets a lot of sun... Then just use it as is..

Lots of options...

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

OOOORRRR am i just freaking out, and it isnt all that much a problem .......

Both, and neither :D

You are right that a suit of black clothes would befit a duke.

That said, there are far worse offenses being committed out there than dressing above your station.

Now, even were said clothes gained as a prize, we're back to the old question of would they have been worn or sold for ready cash?

If the clothes are discards, through how many hands have they been handed before they get to your character? Perhaps in addition to fading, you could add some signs of alteration and even patching. Remnants of long worn off trim/embroidery come to mind.

Where, too, is your character based? What you might not wear in London for fear of drawing unwanted attention, you might put on in other parts?

What is the background of your character? Are you someone among your crew, who after having taken a particularly fat prize might have been dressed in these clothes by his mates precisely because they are so far above your status; mocking both your position and the social order?

These are a few of the considerations I was offered when I was starting out and I was thinking I would dress in black.

There are far better historians on this board than I, and I hope they weigh in on this question, particularly as to how a modern black dye would fade compared to period dye.

Personally, I like Lady Brower's suggestion to make the clothes and age them rapidly but naturally.

women are so smart....bbbuutttt in a strange way i kinda want black...or close to it that is, i just dont want such a dark and pretty looking black.....but that leads to the "is it above me to have it" part. For some reason even though its our thing, i dont always portray a pirate, sometimes im just a free black, sometomes i portray a slave......im really trying to figure out if black was common enough that no one would have though it indecent for a black man to wear it....after all whether free or not, you dont want to draw attention/ jealousy from anyone white. I must say it adds quite anothe rlevel of difficulty when you factor in that im of extreamly swarthy complexion(lol). So far as my research has concluded, the earlier, the more things a black man could get away with.....as in its better in 1720 than 1780....but not saying it was flowers and roses either.....huumm i seemed to have digressed a little in that lol So the actuall question this is really, is it above me to wear black?(im gonna lighten it anyway to age it , but youd be able to tell that it was once black)

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

[/size]

Although I understand that black was a more difficult dye to work with, it was being worn in our time frame by even the middling class for mourning wear.. so why make it sound like only a member of the nobility could afford such an item as a suit all in black? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious..

I am seeing Black runaways in black coats but not until the 1760s

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

[/size]

Although I understand that black was a more difficult dye to work with, it was being worn in our time frame by even the middling class for mourning wear.. so why make it sound like only a member of the nobility could afford such an item as a suit all in black? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious..

I am seeing Black runaways in black coats but not until the 1760s

I am relying on hearsay evidence and am quite open to correction. May I refer you back to the discussion of February 23, 2007, in the thread Clothing Colors: Clothing Colors, beginning about 2/3 down page 2?

Hmmm good to know...now the question becomes "how much more expensive?" grin. Again if middling class is actively participating in wearing black morning clothes in England, the cost may have come "down?" from say the 17th or 16th centuries dying production. Interesting...need to look into this more...thanks especially since I do not portray someone from the Nobility and Kass approved the mourning clothing last Reenactor fest or was it the year before?

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://www.marariley.net/myths/dyerant.htm

some interesting thoughts on muted and less bright colours...

Crewe of the Archangel

Aye of course...

Crewe of the Archangel

My opinion:

Don't worry about the 'period correct' look and wear what you want. Hey maybe some rich family got you and dressed you up as a nice... uh toy?

Ah but Rumba m'dear, M. La Gaffe is in the reenactor/living historian side of pyracy...not the Hollywood/Myth side.. so he does need to worry... :D

Crewe of the Archangel

Rene' I'd begin with laundering it to see how much it fades in the first washing. Once you determine the level of initial fading judge from there. It would be better at that point to then sew and wash or hang in the sun to allow a natural fading to occur which would produce a garment that had faded in natural order instead of a artificial faded garment. As the fading would not fade evenly in period, seems would often remain deeper hues and open areas would fade quicker. Even hanging in a southern exposure window will aid in the process more rapidly.

Goode Quartermaster, I do hope yo can find a better argument for the "dark side" than hardtack. If not, alas I fear that we are doomed to attract only those who prefer to suffer.

Hmmmmm ...perhaps I was too hasty in my reply. :D

Rene,

Research artificially aging clothing/Faric. I recall something about using salt water in the sun.

Edited by Silkie McDonough

Hmmm on Josh's last birthday...he made hardtack to bring to the class for his party. I thought he was crazy so we shipped in some cupcakes and juice as well... The kids in the class FOUGHT over the hard tack, Josh brought leftover cupcakes home...

Crewe of the Archangel

Monsuier--------

i am totally in agreement with callenish...........

WASH IT.....AND SEE HOW MUCH WASHED OUT FIRST.........

never try to dye/ bleach fabric in a FRONT LOAD WASHER...... UNLESS you want streaky tie-dye look!! { dont ask me how i know}....

you can bleach the fabric in a top load washer.... fill it with water and add the bleach { a little or alot--i reccomend A LITTLE--MAYBE a cup and a half for a full washer}... LET WATER AGITATE... then drop in your cloth as it is agitating.......

OH--SPLURGE AND BUY GOOD BLEACH....NOT elcheapo brand..... get purex

then spread it out FLAT IN THE GRASS in the sun to dry for days.........

here at home i do as callenish said-sew the outfit... hang out side for days on end.....or give it to a bunch of kids to wear and be hard on......

or even this method--call it the "SILAS THATCHER" method...... FLOAT YOUR GARMENT IN A SWIMMING POOL THAT HAS REALLY CLEAN WATER THAT YOU KNOW THERE IS ALOT OF BLEACH/ CHEMICALS IN---

BE perfect in about 3 days.........."connie-- WHAT IS MY PIRATE JACKET DOING floating there IN THE POOL?"ahahahahahahahahhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaa

" geee hun, i guess the kids took it out there and i did not notice-- but look at my TAN!"

"Lastly, many people think that colorful clothing was out of reach for common people in the 18th century. That's simply not true. There was a thriving trade in second-hand clothing in the 18th century; and servants also received cast-off clothing as part of their wages. Look at Pennsylvania Gazette runaway ads for examples of some very vivid clothing worn (or stolen) by runaway servants. If you're doing a lower-class impression, why not have a colorful item that's about 20 years out of date and well worn / patched? You could also have a brighly dyed silk handkerchief, since pack peddlers sold cheap silk handkerchiefs and ribbons."

Captain Sterling i dare say i love you...*cough......well that helps quite a bit! I also dare ask if you have any similar articles to share?This also makes me wonder just how long the life span of a garnment could be.......alas, sometimes i wish i could simply not care, but as the captain stated...im a bit of a history freak......for shame........I thank all for the advice.....i think ill take the natural route suggested by callenish, lady brower and silkie, and let it fade...though i like the salt water idea...or the pool idea.(lady constance seems to have tried this aalloott lol)

How it going Rene? ( I don't know how to get the little thing above the e. :unsure: )Whadda come up with?

lol while this thread was going on, and i was making up my mind, i started sewing a weskit, im gonna do the black coat/jacket after im done with it and all of its dorset buttons(not too many left to do YYAAAYYYY) and if it makes you feel better, i cant get it either, i just cut and paste from other places....lolololol....adieu mon ami.....