Saint Augustine turns 444 years old today

Joe Pyrat

September 8th 1565 Pedro Menendez de Aviles came ashore and founded the oldest continually populated settlement in the continental United States. Hope I look so good when I hit 444. ^_^

While doing some research at Fort Matanzas I came across this document which I later found online and thought those here might enjoy.

From the journals of Francisco Lopez de Mendoza Grajales...

8 September 1565

On Saturday, the 8th, the general landed with many banners spread, to the sound of trumpets and salutes of artillery. As I had gone ashore the evening before, I took a cross and went to meet him, singing the hymn Te Deum laudamus. The general marched up to the cross, followed by all who accompanied him, and there they kneeled and embraced the cross. A large number of Indians watched these proceedings and imitated all they saw done. The same day the general took formal possession of the country in the name of his Majesty, and all the captains took the oath of allegiance to him, as their general and governor of the country. When this ceremony was ended, he offered to do everything in his power for them, especially for Captain Patino, who during the whole voyage had ardently served the cause of God and of the King, and, I think, will be rewarded for his assiduity and talents in constructing a fort in which to defend ourselves until the arrival of help from Santo Domingo and Havana. The French number about as many as we do, and perhaps more. My advice to the general was not to attack the enemy, but to let the troops rest all winter and wait for the assistance daily expected; and then we may hope to make a successful attack.

More

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

Funny thing to realize that, when the American colonies began their fight for independence, St. Augustine was already more than two centuries old. Kind of puts in in perspective.

There was a nice little commemoration ceremony of Pedro Menendez's landing last Saturday. He came ashore with high ceremony, kissed the cross, planted the Spanish flag and processed about with pomp and pageantry. This being Florida, of course, the ceremony concluded with a tropical monsoon, sending we poor musketeers running for safety.

Ah well, better luck for the 445th!

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants