Civil War Buff Fires Cannon, Hits Neighbor's House

RIPP Tar

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There goes the neighborhood!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Hmmm... that's in my neighborhood!

Well, not 'in'... Pittsburgh in general...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

North against the South? Hatfields and McCoys?

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Not even vaguely funny. This is the kind of moronic move that will eventually get them to start regulating cannon and black powder. Right now, we are oeprating in a loophiole that says blackpowder weapons and cannon are 'antiques and replicas' and not really weapons. After some idiot tried to hold up a store in NYC with a cap and ball revolver, they tried to pass laws restricting black powder in New York State. We walk on very thin ice, and it's not getting thicker. The only thing we can do is cast this idiot into the outer darkness and give him no support whatever. Don't laugh at him, just condemn him as a menace.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

It's one of those things you have to laugh at, but at the same time this type of publicity doesn't help the "thin ice" as stated earlier. In all the events I've been to in the last 12 years there has only been one accident (thankfully not involving a patron). The accident did cause a huge amount of hassle for the event planners the following year to the point of almost having to cancel. There is nothing that puts me more on edge than to show up at an event and see people drinking right before a demo or mock battle. There are not many out there and I have alot of respect for all the crews who post in here and have never seen any of them not following all the safety steps neccesary when dealing with black powder. Unfortunitly I have seen some crews who will remain nameless that will drink and smoke right up to the last second before they come aboard for a mock battle. I have even had a fellow pirate hand me a leather wrapped bottle while firing that he said was water and it turned out to be rum. Bottom line is yes, we laugh at the story because it's funny. At the same time we can never forget that the second a patron is injured due to someone elses stupidity we can all pretty much use our pistols as wall decor.

What's really sad is that we have to worry about them making rules about black powder in the first place.

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

-Benjamin Franklin

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson

(Having said that, the cannon firer should have just paid for the damage and it should have never been widely publicized. That's what I did when the brake slipped on the Delorean several years ago and ran into the neighbor's house. Our sensationalistic fascination with instant news is certainly a mixed blessing.)

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Sorry alcohol and weapons of any kind don't mix... our crew holds to a strict policy of no drinking until after the public goes home. I think all the events we have ever attended adhere to this policy as well...anyone breaking such a policy should be reported as they are not only a danger to themselves but to everyone else who is following the rules laid down by the event organizers... not only can someone get hurt but the actions of the arse who "thinks" he is getting away with being under the influence on the field, opens the door to the possibility of shutting down the entire event. I have been dealing with an event where the staff is so used to seeing drunken pirates that they are not too sure they want to even work with the living history side of the GAoP.

If you can't control your drinking and/or smoking something other than tobacco, and you can't abide by the safety rules laid down by the event, stay away from the battle or stay home.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I agree, Mr. Hawkyns. I was a Civil War reenactor for 22 years and the hobby survived a number of incidents -

1. A Frenchman who came over for the 135th Anniversary Reenactment of Gettysburg went out on the field doing Confederate cavalry and put a ball into another reenactor because he didn't know what the hell he was doing. Nor did the troop commander, obviously, if this guy's weapon passed a safety check.

2. A reenactor, never identified, put a tampion through a drummer boy's drum at a reenactment of Antietam.

3. At Raymond, Mississippi, a reenactor was shot with a live round, with extremely cloudy circumstances that will probably never be explained.

Every time something like this happened, we watched the news and watched the reaction from the masses. I know that interest in Civil War history has waned for any number of reasons (like Hollywood stopped making movies about the period) but the hobby survived. I think it will take a larger number of stupid incidents just like this or one incredibly bad thing (like a cannon exploding at a crowded reenactment) and there WILL be action taken to do away with our hobby.

These days, I'm mainly a vendor and don't get involved in the reenactment portion of this genre. But I've watched enough of the pirate reenactors to know that they are a smaller, but just as dedicated, group and I truly believe that reenactors police themselves to the extent that we will never have any of those events which threaten our passion. At least I pray that to be the case.

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Well, not that this helps... As we don't know how well the general public can or will make the distinction...

He is identified as a 'Civil War Buff' and not a reenactor...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Unfortunitly the general public won't know the difference. Kind of like putting one of us next to someone who just bought a Jack Sparrow costume from Party City and asking a little kid to point to the Pirate. It's unfortunite but hopefully incidents like this will not bring an end to those of us who are responsible with our weapons and always have ours and the patrons safety first in mind.

Not even vaguely funny. This is the kind of moronic move that will eventually get them to start regulating cannon and black powder. Right now, we are oeprating in a loophiole that says blackpowder weapons and cannon are 'antiques and replicas' and not really weapons. After some idiot tried to hold up a store in NYC with a cap and ball revolver, they tried to pass laws restricting black powder in New York State. We walk on very thin ice, and it's not getting thicker. The only thing we can do is cast this idiot into the outer darkness and give him no support whatever. Don't laugh at him, just condemn him as a menace.

Hawkyns

I stand with ye 110% on this, shipmate !!!

>>>> Cascabel

I just saw this article on broadcast news. They said that Neighbors were fighting over a one firing a cannon. My first thought was what's wrong with that ...until they showed the cannon ball! What moron would actually use shot in a residential area? I can understand the understand the curiosity but PLEASE! I hope he is fined and has to patch the neighbors house AND is required to take a course that he pays for, on the use of black powder and respect for it!

If you can't control your drinking and/or smoking something other than tobacco, and you can't abide by the safety rules laid down by the event, stay away from the battle or stay home.

Yeah, but this guy did stay home. That was the whole problem.

Rules shouldn't be made to protect the irresponsible. On that front, I agree with Silkie; if you do something completely stupid, you have to own up to it and make it right. Otherwise we end up with a tangled web of laws that are either impossible to follow or prohibitive to everyone else. There are and always will be people doing foolish things and if we have to protect ourselves from every randomly idiotic possibility they manage to discover, we won't be able to leave our beds eventually. (Like in Wall*E :) ) Then we'll all weigh 600 pounds and scoot around on pre-defined tracks under the byzantine rule of a robot on a monorail track.

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

A little more info on particulars:

Man fires cannon, hits neighbor's house

Pa. man faces charges, including reckless endangerment, but no one hurt

The Associated Press

UNIONTOWN, Pa. - "A Pennsylvania history buff who recreates firearms from old wars accidentally fired a 2-pound cannonball through the wall of his neighbor's home.

Fifty-four-year-old William Maser fired a cannonball Wednesday evening outside his home in Georges Township that ricocheted and hit a house 400 yards away.

The cannonball, about two inches in diameter, smashed through a window and a wall before landing in a closet. Authorities say nobody was hurt.

Longtime hobby

State police charged Maser with reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct.

Maser told WPXI-TV that recreating 19th century cannons has been a longtime hobby.

He said he was sorry and he would stop shooting them on his property, about 35 miles southeast of Pittsburgh."

Still a bad thing, and I think careless to fire live rounds anyway, no doubt. No-one was fighting, and it is a rural area, but still, live firing on anything but a controlled range is pretty stupid. Just get ALL the facts before ranting as I've been told before.

Bo

Hawkyns

Well said, the authorities always seem to be looking for an excuse to pass more laws.

id.jpg

Yeah, but this guy did stay home. That was the whole problem.

Rules shouldn't be made to protect the irresponsible. On that front, I agree with Silkie; if you do something completely stupid, you have to own up to it and make it right. Otherwise we end up with a tangled web of laws that are either impossible to follow or prohibitive to everyone else. There are and always will be people doing foolish things and if we have to protect ourselves from every randomly idiotic possibility they manage to discover, we won't be able to leave our beds eventually. (Like in Wall*E :) ) Then we'll all weigh 600 pounds and scoot around on pre-defined tracks under the byzantine rule of a robot on a monorail track.

Doing drugs and getting drunk and then handling weapons on the field is not only irresponsible but also stupid...and if you read my post I was following/replying to captscruvy although I did not quote him, obviously I was referring to his comment about people who are taking the field who know they are breaking the rules set out by events for safety reasons. People like that have a very strong potential for putting us all out of "business", I was not referring to the idiot with the cannon. I still say folks that do that and know what they are doing should stay away from the field, stay home or be tossed from the event. I don't view that as protecting the irresponsible but holding them accountable for their dumb arse actions at events.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

darwin award........

since i got peppered in the back of the neck last year by a drunk with a lovely muzzle flash i've given up shooting with crowds. I'm not sure what was worse, the ringing in the ears, the burning down the neck, or the lax reply from the renowned "safety officer" who shrugged it off.... that just down right turned me off of reenactment battles. ok off my soap box, sorry.

outside of policing yourself, the reality is the only thing we can do against bad p.r. like this is counter at every opportunity with solid demonstrations of skills and knowledge to the public. even then it may be an uphill battle against the media.

I still say its funny. I have spent the last 20 years dealing with really educated people who do really stupid things and the I have to fix it. After a while it just makes you laugh. Yest it was stupid and dangerous, but still funny. Think about the call to the guys homer owner's insurance company " yeah, I have to make a claim. A cannonball was shot through my house,..am I covered for that?" That's funny. I don't feel that it makes me look bad as a reenactor, it just makes him look like a fool. Sometimes you just need to see the humor in other peoples stupidity.

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif

Okay, let me get this straight.

The guy has been firing this thing off into a bank for quite some time, with no ill effects. Did the neighbors complain then?

The fact that the ball hit a rock and pinged off 400 yards into a neighbor's house, was a freak accident. He had taken the precaution of firing into a bank, instead of just lobbing the thing into the air, which shows he had considered safety issues.

There was no mention of drugs or alcohol involved, and he was on private property, in what appears to be a fairly rural area.

Let's not condemn the guy out of hand. Shit happens, even under the most strict of conditions. He seems willing to pay for damages, and will no doubt not be firing the cannon again in his neighborhood, and is no doubt very grateful no one was hurt. Lesson learned. We all make mistakes. Let's not keelhaul him just because he happens to be a history buff. If the Press had reported on a Jo-Blow citizen, would you all be as upset? Besides, it never said he was a reenactor, so how does that reflect badly on those of us who are?

Not trying to start a war over this, merely trying to present the other side of the coin.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog