Best Flints

Cap'n Black Jack

Missouri flints by Rich Pierce. These things throw sparks. I have had Texas yellow and French amber flints that I have always held in high regards, but these grey chert flints from right here, knapped by Mr. Pierce are the best I have ever had, and won't use anything else (unless I run out of these). Always plenty and good prices too.

Bo

Hey Bo,

How do we get hold of the lad and place an order. I haven't been too happy with the English flints as of late and would like to try something that has more spark, as you pointed out.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Hi all and thanks Bo for the introduction. My email is rpierce@dom.wustl.edu and if you put "gunflints" in the subject line I'll usually get the email. Not sure if I can post an "ad" already but it IS a pirate forum so I'll be bold here.

My flints are rough, tough and sparky and I like to think they offer more sparks per dollar than most others. Pretty as a South Island lass after 3 months at sea, they are not. I go out and find and haul flint on my old back, then spall and finally make the flints at home. They are white to gray and made from what is called "Burlington Chert". I ask customers to limit orders to at most 3 dozen of any size, though you might order lots of dozens if you want different sizes. I don't wholesale etc at these prices. I'm not getting rich here. I'm already Rich. RichPierce, that is.

1/2" wide or 5/8" wide are $10 per dozen. 3/4" wide or 7/8" wide are $12 per dozen. Musket size, 1" or 1 and 1/8" wide are $15 per dozen. Here is how we do business: You tell me what you need and your address. I ship them with an invoice. You receive them and check them out then either send me payment (check, money order or cash) or return them. It doesn't hurt my feelings. I charge $1.50 to ship one dozen, $2 for 2 dozen, $3 for 3 dozen etc. Unless you order musket flints then it might be a little more.

if you need advice on what size you need etc I can help you out. I prefer email but can do the personal message thing or whatever you use here if your pyrate privacy is important to you.

• 4 months later...

Just recieved my dozen flints from Rich and man do they ever spark! Got a small one for my pistol and large ones for my Bess. Put one in, turned off the lights and such a spark!!

I've used Tom Fuller black english flints for years, and while good, they tend to shatter or shard a lot. Rich's flints seem to be holding up very well so far. I'm going out in the field this summer for the true test, but feel very confidant these puppies will do the job.

Thanks rich!

Rich's rocks ROCK!!! They seem to last several times longer than black flints for me too. My L&R has never been tuned and the frizzen spring is still pretty stiff and eats flints pretty fast. These grey chert ones don't seem to be affected by that. Almost need safety glasses to shoot!

Bo

Surprised I hadn't seen this thread earlier.

Add my voice to those praising both Mr. Pierce's Missouri Long Trek flints and also his business practices. He's a stand up guy.

I imagine hunting season wore down his stock a bit: I can think of at least three other forums wherein shooters praise his work!

• 13 years later...

I am currently marooned someways inland, but my search party excursions (what the local natives refer to as ‘high-king’) have turned up fairly abundant natural deposits of local chert! I’ve been known on occasion to haul some back ‘on me back’ much like Mr. Pierce mentions above. As a Pirate I feel like the titular ‘best’ flints are them what can be plundered (if even from the earth)! As Captain Jack always said: “Not all treasure is Silver & Gold, mate”; and as my own good fortune would have it, I’ve discovered another form of buried treasure sometimes quite literally in me own back yard!  

“A fellow with no wish to be governed, inspected, indoctrinated, preached at, taxed, stamped, measured, judged, condemned, hanged, or shot.”

On 5/12/2023 at 5:34 AM, Picaroon Lagoon said:

I am currently marooned someways inland, but my search party excursions (what the local natives refer to as ‘high-king’) have turned up fairly abundant natural deposits of local chert! I’ve been known on occasion to haul some back ‘on me back’ much like Mr. Pierce mentions above. As a Pirate I feel like the titular ‘best’ flints are them what can be plundered (if even from the earth)! As Captain Jack always said: “Not all treasure is Silver & Gold, mate”; and as my own good fortune would have it, I’ve discovered another form of buried treasure sometimes quite literally in me own back yard!  

Ah, it sounds like you have an honourable occupation brewing, Picaroon!

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

4 hours ago, Mary Diamond said:

Ah, it sounds like you have an honourable occupation brewing, Picaroon!

“Honourable”? No thanks m’lady; it’s a Pirates life for me! 😉

“A fellow with no wish to be governed, inspected, indoctrinated, preached at, taxed, stamped, measured, judged, condemned, hanged, or shot.”