New Captain Nemo...

Iron Bess

Here it is folks....

It's a go although not for this year as stated. <_<

DISNEY: AUG. 2009

Captain Nemo: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - One of the first, biggest, and best-regarded live-action films Walt Disney ever made, 1954's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was a major adventure whose unique, massive scope is now regularly aspired to by Disney's tentpole pictures today. You can bet that group will include this remake/reimagining of the Jules Verne classic, described as a "big, big globe-trotting movie." Reportedly, the film will tell the origins of Nemo as he builds his submarine, the Nautilus, and finds reason to attack.

This will be the fifth feature directed by the one called simply McG, whose resume includes Terminator Salvation and both Charlie's Angels movies. Although fast-tracked to begin filming in 2009, pre-production has stalled over rewrites of the script, which has been worked on by Bill Marsilii (Deja Vu), Justin Marks (Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li), and Randall Wallace (Braveheart, Pearl Harbor).

All too believable reports that pinned Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson for the title role (famously played by James Mason in '54), McG deflated them, claiming he'd still like Will Smith to headline this family flick. Scouts have been exploring Australia and New Zealand for potential ocean filming locations. Provided the delays cease soon, this one looks destined for a Christmas 2011 debut.

( More like... 2012) ;)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Our opinion is simply that no one can come up with an original idea amymore.

So sad. Everyone goes for the easy route. Use someone else's idea... change it a bit and declare it yer own. ;)

Every time we have an earthquake around here we all just say "Well, there's Walt turning over." ;)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I really have no problem of a remake of the movie, any more than I do Treasure Island, Moby Dick or any other classic. The story wasn't Walt's it was Jules Vernes'. So it is there for the taking, as much as Charles Dicken's works running the gambit from a fairy straight telling of Great Expectations to the off kilter version of A Christmas Carol, Scrooged. How many times has Dracula been filmed in different styles, all from the same story?

I'd much rather see a retelling of a great story than the endless sequels of a story that should have been told in one movie, with no follow ups. I think it's far worse to do a Halloween 1 through 30 than to do 20,000 Leagues again.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Oooo... I LOVE this book! Nemo has always held a tiny place in my imagination. Jules Verne created a hell of a masterpiece with this novel.

James Mason will be tough (very tough) to beat. There has been a few versions of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea already.

So... Bess... will this be set in the 19th c? or will this be more modern? Modern kinda defeats the purpose I guess. And, ummm, the writers better do good on Nemo's past. I read Mysterious Island, too. :)

And too funny about the earthquake bit. :) Just might be true! LOL

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!