Paynetown Surgeon's Journal

Raphael Misson

Now that everyone has all but forgotten the Paynetown event, I have finally finished the Surgeon's Journal for the 2009 event.

You will find it here.

Enjoy! :rolleyes:

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Loved it, Mission.

BTW- Mickey was branded a thief, put on trial, beaten, and throat slit because he was seen cavorting with the Captains lady. Despite her best efforts to save him, he was still killed and dragged off. Meanwhile, I took applications for a new husband. The Quartermaster of that crew took a shine to me. And he liked my butterscotch rum cake.

And....it's embroidery. No cross stitching for me. Cross stitch involves too much counting and math. :)

Banner.jpg

It seems that several other folks have seen fit to "blog" about this year's Pirates of Paynetown event. (I know, I know, the event is over and I should give it up, but I'm still really excited about how much this thing has grown...)

Most of these are from reenactors who shared their experiences over the weekend. Some of the facts and names may be lacking, but I think the overall feeling of the articles is very positive and most of them are quite funny! There's a lot of good pictures in all of them as well. The last blog is exceptionally interesting to me... It is a non-reenactor who lives locally and brought his family to the event. This is a neat and rare opportunity to see what kind of lasting impression we can make on these folks. If this one man's impression of the event holds true for the majority of the public who attended, then I'd have to say we did a good job of showing a difference between the Hollywood and the historical.

Thanks again to everyone who participated, promoted, and took the time to write about this fun weekend!

Michael Bagley:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=75067827&blogId=505077226

Mark Gist:

http://avast-me-hearties.blogspot.com/2009/08/pirates-of-paynetown-2009.html

Non-reenactor local:

http://coyotewatches.wordpress.com/2009/08/12/pirates-on-the-lake/

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

Oh, and Mission... Great job. I loved reading the journal. I'm sure it took some time to do all that. One word of constructive criticism though... My name is spelled Nathanael (-AEL, not -IAL or -IEL. Nathan works fine though) But I'll let it slide this year... :unsure:

Thank-you again for the long drive and the long writing. I do appreciate it...

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

Mission--

once again, you have out done yourself!!!

thank you for the great delight in reading!!

and now, i get back to managing my very own set of wild orangutan's hoplessly flailing around doing their school chores............

and the children are still furthering their studies of exact time of death for small flying creatures,,,,,,i fear reading their conclusive studies after years of research.......

PAX,

lady constance

Actually, I'd prefer to fix the mis-spelling and what Kate was doing, so I'll do that when I get a chance. In fact, if anyone spots any other errors, let me know. The reason I still do these is to provide something that you can refer friends to so that they get a feel for what the event was like, especially when it's a new event to me. Blogs are cool, but when you can combine words with pics, I believe it puts the event across in a way words alone can't.

However, I think the thing about not knowing what Micky was convicted of it sort of funny as it is, so I'm going to leave that.

The trouble with not doing an actual journal during the event is that I have to try and recall all the things that went on. I probably should have sat down and written the whole thing out right after the event, but I was tired and wanted some distance. Plus I really needed the pics to remind me, so it was easier to just write it as I went. However, since I can only put together one page in a day or two, the later pages get me further and further from the event and my memory fades. (Your memory becomes confused within a day or so of something happening and you start filling it in with other info.)

Thanks for all the comments.

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

On the fabric . . . it was supposed to be purple and green when I ordered it. It wasn't.

As for the last battle . . .

I was planning to die, but no one fired in my general direction. Swords don't kill from afar.

The hand healed just fine.

I like the commentary, will read it more closely when I have time.

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Wow, I think I spelled Nathanael in every not-quite-correct way possible! (All fixed. Sorry about the mess.) I also replaced all the Nates with Nathans where possible. (Sometimes I run out of room in the picture credits and I have to abbreviate things to make them fit. In fact, I'll bet half my time creating these pages is spent finding, sizing and editing photos so they work in the space available.)

Edited by Raphael Misson

Lovely read, and per the dogs; according to most of the variations on Philip Ashton's account, he nearly escaped from Ned Low's men at one point when Low forced the ship to go back for the dog which had been left ashore. Perhaps a small dog kept for ratting? In any case, it was deemed important enough to turn about and go back when it was discovered the ship's dog was missing.... In case that is of any use.

"History of the Strange Adventures and Signal Deliverances of Mr. Philip Ashton", Boston, 1725 - amongst other publications. The variations are slim, and mostly a matter of wording, but all accounts seem to purport to be ghost written under exclusive contract with the "unlettered" sailor.

Actually, I'd prefer to fix the mis-spelling and what Kate was doing, so I'll do that when I get a chance. In fact, if anyone spots any other errors, let me know. The reason I still do these is to provide something that you can refer friends to so that they get a feel for what the event was like, especially when it's a new event to me. Blogs are cool, but when you can combine words with pics, I believe it puts the event across in a way words alone can't.

However, I think the thing about not knowing what Micky was convicted of it sort of funny as it is, so I'm going to leave that.

The trouble with not doing an actual journal during the event is that I have to try and recall all the things that went on. I probably should have sat down and written the whole thing out right after the event, but I was tired and wanted some distance. Plus I really needed the pics to remind me, so it was easier to just write it as I went. However, since I can only put together one page in a day or two, the later pages get me further and further from the event and my memory fades. (Your memory becomes confused within a day or so of something happening and you start filling it in with other info.)

Thanks for all the comments.

As long as you are making corrections - Firefly's interior is not stained. It is the natural color of the wood that it is made from (cedar hull, mahogany seats, oak ribs).

Mark

Lovely read, and per the dogs; according to most of the variations on Philip Ashton's account, he nearly escaped from Ned Low's men at one point when Low forced the ship to go back for the dog which had been left ashore. Perhaps a small dog kept for ratting? In any case, it was deemed important enough to turn about and go back when it was discovered the ship's dog was missing.... In case that is of any use.

"History of the Strange Adventures and Signal Deliverances of Mr. Philip Ashton", Boston, 1725 - amongst other publications. The variations are slim, and mostly a matter of wording, but all accounts seem to purport to be ghost written under exclusive contract with the "unlettered" sailor.

Dogs on ships reminds me of the last verse of the Irish Rover:

We had sailed seven years when the measles broke out

And the ship lost it's way in a fog.

And that whale of the crew was reduced down to two,

Just meself and the captain's old dog.

Then the ship struck a rock, oh Lord what a shock

The bulkhead was turned right over

Turned nine times around, and the poor dog was drowned

I'm the last of the Irish Rover

Mark

Edited by MarkG

• 1 year later...

The 2010 Edition of the Paynetown Surgeon's Journal is now on line:

Paynetown 2010 Surgeon's Journal

Just in time for Back to School. (Well, here in Michigan it is.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Mission, I have to tell you something: you are a consistently interesting dude.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Interesting in a good way or interesting in a "Well...that was certainly...interesting..." way? (Actually, it doesn't matter. I live out loud. Whatever that means.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I mean interesting in a good way. It's perhaps unfair of me to generalize, but most people who use 'interesting' pejoratively live lives of quiet desperation.

After reading the velociraptor page, I thought "This guy not only thinks of cool stuff, but he actually does it."

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Thanks! The raptor was a very intense project - I put in long hours to get it done in time for the Haunted House in which it first appeared. Someone was actually interested in buying the velociraptor recently after Googling velociraptor and finding her on my webpage. Unfortunately, she's been sitting outside in my flower garden for years and needs some repairs - he wanted her fresh and new. So now she's in my garage awaiting my attention. All the neighbors were concerned because the velociraptor was gone.(If nothing else this guy got me to repair the raptor. Working with fiberglass is such a pain in the arse. OTOH, I'm thinking of painting her in more muted greys, browns and yellows - then she'll be a he according to the JP legend and lore.)

Have you seen Jack the Monkey? He's another favorite project of mine. He's presently sitting in a bamboo cage atop my entertainment center in my pirate-themed living room. (Although I don't have any pics of that. Maybe I'll take some and update that page.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Yes, I've seen Jack the Monkey. I've actually browsed your site pretty thoroughly, but missed the velociraptor somehow. I have a severed hand I carry around sometime; I'll see if I can't post some good pics of that.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Took me a while to read this one, too much work to do. Quite entertaining and funny... as usual. What can I say I'm a fan.

I think I would really enjoy this event. I like it when the weather is warm enough so that you don't need lots of gear. Just a simple rain protection and et voilà! sleeping on the beach under the stars the old pirate way....yaarr! B)

• 1 month later...

Still not entirely sure how I ended up as "cool girl" but I surely love the journal Mission. Bloody Kat sends her regards!

btw; I've added a link to your journal from mine, thanks for adding my link to yours

For others who may find it of interest enclosed within you will find a letter writ to my dear cousin Mad Anne Bailey, please keep her name in confidence as I wouldn't want my wicked ways to cause her grief of any kind!

Z

ye journal of Mad Anne Bailey - paynetown chapter

ye journal of adventures

http://madannebailey.blogspot.com/