Getting started?

Doglock_Hawk

Yar,

I find myself being more and more interested in Airship Pirates as time goes by. I'd like to get into it but I don't want to just buy completed items like I did with my pirate stuff. Knowing that we are not in the same area, can anyone suggest places where a n00b can scrounge items up?

I think it's the actual tinkering that interests me the most. I once played warcraft and there was a profession called engineering that screams steampunk and ever since then I've been a little hooked on gadgets, widgets and goggles.

I guess my question is, how did you all start?

-Hawk

"Pirates should be viewed as the crazy homeless guys of the sea.

Sailing from port to port and broadsiding with nonsensical ramblings."

I'm still starting. :lol: Just start by modifying stuff to make steamy. I've been looking at Victorian clothing and trying to use that as a basis for a look. Of course that's the fun of Steampunk it really isn't anything specific. I'm still trying to get some ideas down. I've started with some cool props. I made a few goggles and a mechanics pouch. Still working on clothes but I'm in no real rush to get stuff done.

Iv found some of my best things in thrift stores. Look for anything you could use, dont go in looking for a specific type of shirt, for a particular outfit, and then expect to find one. Instead look for anything you could use, and put an outfit together later. Also dont be afraid to butcher some poor helpless piece of apparel to suit your needs......the ends justify your means......no stitch shall be spared...........

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

I was lucky, in that many of the items I use, I already had, especially my coat and boots. Don't dismiss Wally World. I got a great pair of man's cargo pants for only $13 and they came with a military-type equipment belt.

My husband found most of his stuff at Goodwill, junk stores, and eBay (his boots). He got an awesome coat, which included a liner, for only about $20. Also, for garb, and putting a little flash on your clothing, ck out military stores. I got some great brass oak leaf eppalet(?) decorations (German Border Guard, so no offending any of our local military guys) for only $2 each.

Check out the Steampunk pictures thread for more ideas. You'll be surprised, once you get into it, where you find things. And I agree with Rene, don't go looking for specific items, just go looking. :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Great advice all, thank you. I have a surplus store near me and I can't believe I never thought about going there. Can anyone think of some websites that have pics of people in garb? The more the better.

I really like that I can show my pops and my boss steampunk stuff and that they actually love what they see.

Iv found some of my best things in thrift stores. Look for anything you could use, dont go in looking for a specific type of shirt, for a particular outfit, and then expect to find one. Instead look for anything you could use, and put an outfit together later. Also dont be afraid to butcher some poor helpless piece of apparel to suit your needs......the ends justify your means......no stitch shall be spared...........

Yeah definitely be open to anything. I hope I didn't lead you astray with the Victorian ideas. It's just what I was using for inspiration.

Here are some places that Patrick posted in another thread in this forum. Really, check out some of the other threads in Airship Pyrates, and you will probably get a great idea of what is out there, and where else to go to look.

Brass Goggles is the Steampunk Forum (as Jill said), you can see it here....

http://brassgoggles....forum/index.php

And Spare Goggles is their back-up for when BG is down...

http://sparegoggles....n.net/index.htm

Also, sometimes Steampunk Fashion has some interesting stuff...

http://community.liv...m/steamfashion/

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Yeah... look at what other people have done...... if you like it... cool... borrow ideas.....

And don't be afraid to change your mind... (ok so you got this really cool vest that no longer fits your idea... sure.. give it to someone else.... and someone else may have something that works for what look you are going for.... (Woh,,, barter, trade, just giving something away....or DIY (Do it yourself) Hey... think about it for a moment... Pyrates do that also....

I'm ratttling right now, so just let me fly....(drinkin' rum... wot ... who me.....)

I'm also in full Burning Man mode...

SO at least you know where my brains are.... is,,,, whotever.... :lol:

One... Pyrates iz the coolist..... hey, I've run into a few that suked, but you just ignore them.... and play with the fun ones,,,,, Hey.... Steampunk is kinda like that.... (kinda funny... some guy that I thought I really pissed off,,,, turns out he just wanted to ask me a question...... doh... sometimes I mess up.....)

Two.... their are NO rules to what is Steampunk..... you get to make-up your own rules.....(nuff said)

Three... if it ain't any fun... why bother...

Four.... If you can't take it apart, it ain't yours...

Five... running outta cigarettes at 12:00 when their isn't anyplace to buy cigarettes really really sux....

Six... I am not the one that makes up the rules.....

I'm happy that we have a bunch fun Pyrates wot are playing Steampunk also....

Cool.....

Nice words Patrick.

I really liked number four. Number five is too true. Number six I feel you are lying about because as we all know.... this is your fault. laugh.gif