Anyone ever tackle this project before?

captscurvy_nc

For ten bucks I couldn't leave the thrift store with out it. it's one of those "Wal Mart" style trunks but I still think it has potential once I remove all the handles and the front lock. Tried to upload a pic but it was too big so I snagged this one

mediumblackwheeledtrunkkx7.jpg

Only difference is mine only has handles in the front and not on the sides and no wheels. It's partical board covered in a thin imitation leather like material. So if anyone has ever undergone the process of converting one of these into a more period piece please let me know

in the open. Was gonna use it as a treasure chest/sea chest

Here is some food for thought...

We have a civil war era trunk as in the link below. On ours the main section/sides of wood are covered in painted canvas (except for the Oak slats). That would be easy enough to do though I can't vouch that it would be entirely period correct

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/forsale/t863.html

Have fun what ever you do with it!

madPete

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Adding a couple wood slats might be a good idea for strength and to give it a piratey look,

There are places that sell the hinges and locks, but they are pretty pricey, unless you are restoring something.

madPete

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

it looks like you might have to put some money into it to make it a teasure chest. if you want to use it to keep personal items in your tent covering it completely with canvas adding a few ropes around it (one hidding where it opens)and a large dutch east indian stamp on it. you have a plundered bale of *****(i'll leave that to you).

Well so far I have more cuts and bruises on my hands than when I use to kickbox but the modern style lock and the leather strap in the front is gone. Gonna look into pricing some wood slats for it and I have some leather straps left over from my last project. All in all, still looks like the whole project will run me under $40 so it's still a win

• 3 weeks later...

Well my finds ran a little shorter than expected but I managed to salvage some wood trim from my parents kitchen remodel and added a few brass tacks to the wood slats, used early colonial woodstain and nailed them on the top and sides. Still black overall and will eventually pull those off and put leather on the sides and corners but for now it will have to work.