The Vehicle You Would Buy

is that would buy or did buy? my first "adventure" was a BMW R69 S motorcycle with a Steib TR500 sidecar, it has gone downhill from there, from a Citroen 11 BL to a wwII tank and a bunch of others in between. Currantly it is a custom built German VW "kublewagen from wwII fame but with a 124 hp watercooled engine so that BlackHearted Pearl can have air conditioning in the summer while shooting the MG34 off the AA mount.

We used to own a kublewagen from wwII when i was a kid. I love the fact you could take the doors off and drop the windscreen. We fitted a cab heater out of a truck as it was freezing cold in the winter. I am after one now as I have just passed my driving test.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very specifically said 'vehicle.' :D

"A boat is a hole in the water which you fill with money."

Talking military vehicles, there are two I've always liked. They are based on the same (somewhat foolish from a Physics POV) principle:

The Kettenkrad:

kettenkradforsale2.jpg

The American Half Track:

Half%20track%20M2%2001.JPG

Here's a modern version (does this qualify for Cash for Clunkers?):

Smart-Half-track.jpg

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I very specifically said 'vehicle.' wink.gif

"A boat is a hole in the water which you fill with money."

Talking military vehicles, there are two I've always liked. They are based on the same (somewhat foolish from a Physics POV) principle:

The Kettenkrad:

kettenkradforsale2.jpg

The American Half Track:

Half%20track%20M2%2001.JPG

Here's a modern version (does this qualify for Cash for Clunkers?):

Smart-Half-track.jpg

This WONDERFUL 1924 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost Boat Tail that I got to ride in as a kid. (see? Sometimes it pays to be old! :D )

Now... you talk about not building 'em like THAT anymore and you are right! :D

It is still owned by the McLaglen family... and he is nearly 90!

1924_Rolls_Royce_Silver_Ghost_Boat_.jpg

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

This WONDERFUL 1924 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost Boat Tail that I got to ride in as a kid. (see? Sometimes it pays to be old! :P )

Now... you talk about not building 'em like THAT anymore and you are right! :P

It is still owned by the McLaglen family... and he is nearly 90!

1924_Rolls_Royce_Silver_Ghost_Boat_.jpg

Now that has the lines of one of those old wooden boats like in 'On Golden Pond'

I know you said no boats, but I had to post this. (Met a recent passenger on this, quite a story)

14.jpg

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

I never said no boats. A boat is certainly a vehicle. A definition from Freedictionary.com: "ve·hi·cle (v-kl)n. 1. a. A device or structure for transporting persons or things; a conveyance"

I just said a boat was a hole in the water that you filled with money. :P

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

well, then......if money was no object....I want the Maltese Falcon.

Maltese Falcon for sale.

Selling it so soon? He just got the damn thing built, it seems.

It spent some time in the Bay 'o Saint Francis - I didn't get to see it up close and personal, though. Another boat did, though - crashed into it, in fact.

RHJMap.jpg

Dudes... if I could, I'd buy the prop Ironhide truck from "Transformers"... or one just like it! It's one hell of a truck!

Ironhide-movievehicle.jpg

Pimped out Pirate Style with a little Decepticon stuff... yeah, it'll be a very intimidating truck. :::Evil grinz:::

I wouldn't mind one of these, too:

casesteamengine.jpg

And of course, have a lifesize version of my pirate dream, the Resurrection, built.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Oh, that reminds me of something I really wanted as a kid.

DumpAC.jpg

An AC Mack Dump Truck. What a cool design.

I've had my eye on this baby for years. She's been for sale in Chile, made passages around the horn, and is built sturdy. However, I just don't have that kind of money right now, and getting her from Chile to Alaska, while a fun passage, would just be one more big expense. Granted, at $310,000, it's only $50k more than I'm buying my first house for! But, add to that the passage up, moorage fees, and the basic maintenance of owning a boat, and it's still too far out of my price range.

vc1.jpg

vc3.jpg

vc5.jpg

General Comments About The Boat:

Construction of this classic William Garden topsail schooner first began in 1970, but political uncertainties then delayed the project until 1983 and the ship was finally christened and launched new 1986. She was built to handle some of the world's toughest conditions. Thanks to her heavy ballast, wide beam and full keel, she is exceptionally seaworthy and has sailed for 17 years from one end of Chile to the other, Arica to Cape Horn, sometimes braving hurricane-force winds. She has been used on and off to carry up to 60 tourist passengers on day sails and up to 12 on overnight trips. Only a captain and 2 crew are required to handle her. Her reliable Cat diesel was completely overhauled, including head and injector pump, just 1500 hours ago. Both her forward and main Oregon pine masts were replaced in 2002, when she also received a new rudder and other upgrades. Her overall condition at this time is very good. She is a go-anywhere, sailorman's sailing vessel ready for sea with a size is not excessive for anchoring in small coves.

I really like the size (75 ft LOA), and the fact that she was built to be sailed hard in any condition. One of those boats that will always bring you home if you take care of her.

Coastie

Edited by Coastie04

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I could go on and on about what vehicles look cool on the outside but let us focus on the inner beauty instead.

pirate-car.jpg

"Pirates should be viewed as the crazy homeless guys of the sea.

Sailing from port to port and broadsiding with nonsensical ramblings."

Hmm personally I would love a Chadwick touring but Im not sure if there are any left. She was good for 100 mph off the showroom floor in 1910 with roads being the way they were, first production car supercharged (3 stage) using a 12L inline 6 engine.

Other cars I've driven on a daily basis or owned include a couple model T's, a model A, Mercedes 300 SLR (replica of course), 66 Pontiac, 55 Cad eldorado convt, and a 64 cad convt.

I am hoping to get my friends '59 Chrysler from him and use it as a family car/driver when I live in Thailand.

Of course when it comes to boats how about this . . .

Trimaran_04.jpg

Of course if money werent an issue

id.jpg

Well, me lady and I went test driving vehicles yesterday and I have to say we were very impressed with the mini cooper. I especially liked the interior. It was very "sky captain and the world of tomorrow" to me. Almost steamy, I would say... and many of us pyrate types are known to get a bit steamy from time to time

CH77477_1024.jpg

CH77499_1024.jpg

CH77514_1024.jpg

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

• 4 weeks later...

Dusenburg SJ

Lawrence of Arabia's armored Rolls Royce

Al Capone's 16 cylinder caddy limo

Ford Starliner

F4U Corsair

An original Henderson Ex. Super X

Late twenties Chris Craft run about

Origanal 427 AC Cobra

PS as always pardon my spelling the BB makes it worse I'm sure.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

More money than brains, eh? There's them whut say that be the case with me, anyway...which doesn't say much for either me wits or me personal economy. Nonetheless:

Ground vehicle? A Panzer Mk IV, upgunned to a 75mm.

Naughty-cal? Just about any craft featured in the current issue of Yachting magazine...

Damn, thats sharp!

If money didn't matter.....I'd still buy this:

Captured2004-5-2400004.jpg

But I'd put a v8 in it......cos DAMN!.....tis slow..(But ye gets t' take in more o' the countryside that way)..lol

Then again.....t' have the crew an' gold t' run THIS little skiff.....might be fun.

Warshipatportsmouthifos.jpg

Cap'n o' the JADES RISC'S @ anchorage at the port o' Cardiff, Wales, Uk.

Piratesig1.jpg

Now *there's* a pirate with the right idea...

If money didn't matter.....I'd still buy this:

Captured2004-5-2400004.jpg

But I'd put a v8 in it......cos DAMN!.....tis slow..(But ye gets t' take in more o' the countryside that way)..lol

Then again.....t' have the crew an' gold t' run THIS little skiff.....might be fun.

Warshipatportsmouthifos.jpg

Damn, thats sharp!

I rather love my truck - Sarge (the plate currently reads "ARRRRGG")

cruiserside.jpg

But if the Aptera goes into it's production plans and becomes available outside of California, at 300mpg it might be my next car:

aptera_6.jpg

I've always loved the '56 Bel Air

1956-Chevrolet-Bel-Air-blue-white-ma.jpg

But of you're going to GO BIG, there's the $95mil Oculus:

Oculus-01-big.jpg

They say it's a "Superyacht" supposedly modeled after a killer whale. Looks more the eels from the Little Mermaid to me

cliphenchmen.gif

• 4 weeks later...

37_Talbot_Lago_T150_C-SS_DV-06-Q_03.jpg

1937 Talbot Lago T150-C-SS

63-Ferrari_250_GTO_4293GT_DV-07_MH-04.jpg

1962-63 Ferrari 250 GTO

53_Jaguar_C-Type_DV-06-PVGP_06.jpg

1953 C-Type Jaguar

54-Jaguar_D-Type_403-DV-07_MH-03.jpg

1954 D-Type Jaguar

66_Ford_GT40_MKV_DV-06-WG_08.jpg

1966 Ford GT40 MkV

64-Shelby_Daytona_DV-08_MO-02.jpg

1964 Shelby Daytona Coupe

63_Shelby_Cobra_LeMans_DV-06-AI_01.jpg

1963 Shelby Cobra 289 La Mans

Ok, this could go on forever... Never ask this question to a car guy.

Guess I'll just settle for the one I've got.

080416American-ShelbyRazorWheels.jpg?t=1255904359

Edited by Joe Pyrat

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.