Pirates 2009 - Success!!! Thank-you!

historyfanatic

Well folks, we did it again!! Thank-you to everyone who showed up and especially thanks to Michael Bagley and Rats who did a wonderful job with the safety checks, ect. You guys were a big help!! The dates for next year are August 13-15. I'll put some pictures up here as soon as I find my camera... Most things are still packed.

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

Huzzah! Wish I could have been there. But can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories. :D

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Me first!

I switched to Gmail to upload the pics because I ran out of space on my other pic hosting site. They wanted me to send them money, so I figure the hell with them.

However, it seems that Picasa strips all the names from your pics when it uploads - thus these pics have no captions. Sorry about that. I guess you'll just have to use your imagination until I get my web page for this event together. (Think in terms of weeks...)

I will probably be posting some of them directly to this thread to find out various people's names for my web page. (I can't very well go about calling them "Absolutely Lovely Parasol Girl," "Goofy Kid" or "Great Lakes Pirate A", now can I? :) )

So here are my Paynetown pics, sans labels:

http://picasaweb.google.com/MarkCKSuccess/Paynetown200902#

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Can anyone tell me the names of these folks (re-enactor names would be best for the web site. Their re-enactment group name and title would also be helpful if they have one. If I can find websites I link to them through my website for a little bonus PR):

Lovely%20Parasol%20Girl%202%20mark.jpg

Phydeax%20-%20Kids%20Walking%202%20mark.jpg

(I know the middle one is Chole's daughter, but I forgot her name.)

A%20Man%20%26%20His%20Bacon%20mark.jpg

(This is Stephen - is that his character name? What group is he with?)

First%20Battle%20Capturing%20the%20Gov%20mark.jpg

Campsite%20Playing%20Chess%202%20mark.jpg

Great%20Lakes%20River%20Pirates%20mark.jpg

(These are the Great Lakes River Pirates. I know that much.)

Michael%20Pillages%20the%20Rum%20mark.jpg

Oh, wait. We know that one.

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

I will probably be posting some of them directly to this thread to find out various people's names for my web page. (I can't very well go about calling them "Absolutely Lovely Parasol Girl," "Goofy Kid" or "Great Lakes Pirate A", now can I? :) )

So here are my Paynetown pics, sans labels:

http://picasaweb.google.com/MarkCKSuccess/Paynetown200902#

"Absolutely Lovely Parasol Girl,", That would be Christa (not sure about the spelling though, it might be Krista)

"Goofy Kid", that fits a number of younger people present.... :rolleyes: But I would wager it might be Daniel...

"Great Lakes Pirate A", the "Great Lakes River Pirates"! It was awesome to finally meet the bulk of them after having known of them for ages, and hearing so much about them from Chole.

Thanks for sharing the pics!!!

PS: May I repost the link to your photos on the other forums I know many of the participants haunt?

Michael_banner.jpg

Can anyone tell me the names of these folks (re-enactor names would be best for the web site. Their re-enactment group name and title would also be helpful if they have one. If I can find websites I link to them through my website for a little bonus PR):

Christa (or Krista) not sure which group she was with....

Don't know the first one's name, but the middle one is Laurel, and the young boy with long hair is Brad

I don't know the Stephen is with a group, I think he is fairly independent. His last name is Priddy, as he goes by Captain Priddy (as owner of the green sail boat)

I be damned if I can remember any of these names, and two of them beat me up!

Not sure

The first one owns the pottery shop (and told me her name multiple times which I have still forgotten!), the middle one is not with the Great Lakers (that I know of), and the third one is Jim (who may or may not be with the Lakers, but was at least working with them this past weekend).

And he is a jerk... :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

Krista Graves - Generally camps with the military groups at most events. Usually Rev War...

Chole's daughter is Laurel. The boy is Bradley, Tracy Galand's neighbor. I'm not sure who the other girl is...

Stephen's character name is Capt. Andrew Priddy, Esq., master of the Welsh Privateer "Priddy Princess". (The awesome green boat anchored in the harbor.)

Maggie Delaney, indentured servant to the Parson. Gavin Kelly or Brant's Volunteers. Can't remember the governor's name offhand, but I'll look it up later. The far right is the washerwoman, Miss. J. Thomas.

Stephanie Moyer (center) of the East India Company Artillery. I'll have to get you the name of the young lady she's playing chess with... Jill Sparrow also of the EIC artillery is in the background. (No relation to a well-known pirate of similar surname...)

Tracy Garland, 1st Lieutenant GLRP. (left) Gavin Kelly, Brant's Vol. (center) Jim Jacobs, GLRP.

LOUSY CANADIAN!!! :rolleyes:

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.ladywashington.org

I posted this in the other tread, but it bears repeating. Wonderful job, Nathan!

I got back to my fam in the Western North Carolina mnts at about midnight, and home tonight.

It was my first event as a participant EVER. I am thankful to everyone for the help they were to me and I learned A LOT on where to improve for the future and what I need to bring/leave at home in the future. I promise to try and lower my intensity level in the future . . . please, feel free to politely ask me to chill a bit. As finances allow me to get better equipped and make more events in general, some things will take care of themselves. For everything else, just let me know how/what to improve (PM me if you have any recommendations).

Bring multiple shirts! Period garb is worn Friday through Sunday and people from the public come in look around and ask a lot of questions.

Ice and water was provided, as was firewood. Kudos to Nathan, the other organizers, and DNR for all that.

For anyone reading this who is far away . . .

I drove 550 miles to get there and 9/10 hours (lost nearly an hour in northern Kentucky traffic jams). It was WELL worth it!

If you can, go next year! I HIGHLY recommend it.

It is worth a 12-15 hour drive!

I can't compliment Nathan, Mickey, Kate, Marc and his wonderful wife, Ben, Thomas, Mission, Steven (assumed spelling), the family that ran the pub, the Thatcher family, Rats, "Chuck-Town" and ALL the others I had the opportunity to meet enough.

Without the crew from Columbus I wouldn't . . . Well, I OWE you! KUDOS!!! Let me know what I can do in return at the Santa Maria event in Sept.

Mission took a great pict of me on Sunday just before I headed back. My open kneed breeches can now be said to be properly "grungified" . . . (Oh, and my hand is fine now. Everything is ship-shape.)

I'll post up some of my picts tomorrow, once I unbury my camera and load them up.

GREAT event!

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

From Kate's picts:

DSC_0330.jpg

That redcoat on the far left of the shot (right flank of the line) stole Mickey's coat and musket!!!

And again . . .

DSC_0283.jpg

(Thanks for letting me use them.)

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Ah, now I've got to go to work mining for the photos I'll need... :rolleyes: Thanks for posting them!

You know what I really loved about this event? It was so casual. I put my surgical stuff up on Saturday morning and left it there until about 5pm. If I happened to be around and could see folks gathering around it, I'd go over and present. Then they'd wander off and I could too. The re-enactors were very friendly and open. I wish it had lasted another two days so I could have gotten to talk more extensively with people. I particularly enjoyed chatting with Michael Stevens (78the Fraser's Highland Regiment of Scots in America) and Chole Black (Great Lakes River Pirates) and her group. Nice folks. Nice dogs. Like Phydeaux here:

Phydeax%20-%20We%20are%20Not%20Going%20to%20Market%20Right%20mark.jpg

(Say, who is Phydeaux's owner?)

From Historyfanatic: David and Aimee Graves.

What are the names of these boats and whose are they?

DSC_0053.jpg

Mark's boat is the Firefly, correct? What are the other boat's names and owners?DSCN2951.jpg

Response from Nate: Wespe, Mike Dollinger (yellow in back of pic); Firefly, Mark Gist; Unnamed British Bateau, Tom Nader; II (two), Jay Henderson; Tantrum, Jay Henderson. In the previous picture, we have the prop boat, aka Powder Tender (the one that blows up during the battle) and the Tantrum with Jay Henderson and Brian McCrary setting Powder Tender on fire.

Who are these chaps and who are they with?

DSC_0092.jpg?t=1249995073

From historyfanatic: David Graves, Rats (Archangel), Bradley (GLRP) and Daniel Robertson (Skurvy Dog Clan), both dead, and Gavin Kelly's sword and pistol in the far right.

Sheriff of Nottingham, in gratitude for you faithful service, I shall knight thee. In the name of My Most Royal Majesty, I knight thee. Arise, Sir Loin of Beef. Arise, Earl of Cloves. Arise, Duke of Brittingham. Arise, Baron of Munchausen. Arise, Essence of Myrrh...Milk of Magnesia...Quarter of Ten. (Sotto voce) Got lots of stamina!"

DSC_0104.jpg?t=1249995151

Edited by Raphael Misson

Well folks, we did it again!! Thank-you to everyone who showed up and especially thanks to Michael Bagley and Rats who did a wonderful job with the safety checks, ect. You guys were a big help!! The dates for next year are August 13-15. I'll put some pictures up here as soon as I find my camera... Most things are still packed.

Greetins Nathan,

Thanks to you and all your crew for all the hard work that went into this event. 'Twas my first time here and hopefully won't be the last! You hospitality, enthusiasm and dedication will not soon be forgotten!

Huzzah!

Sincerely,

Dave Deerwester

Acting Gov'ner

Paynetown Province, Olde Nor'west Territories

Ah, now I've got to go to work mining for the photos I'll need... :rolleyes: Thanks for posting them!

You know what I really loved about this event? It was so casual. I put my surgical stuff up on Saturday morning and left it there until about 5pm. If I happened to be around and could see folks gathering around it, I'd go over and present. Then they'd wander off and I could too. The re-enactors were very friendly and open. I wish it had lasted another two days so I could have gotten to talk more extensively with people. I particularly enjoyed chatting with Michael Stevens (78the Fraser's Highland Regiment of Scots in America) and Chole Black (Great Lakes River Pirates) and her group. Nice folks. Nice dogs. Like Phydeaux here:

(Say, who is Phydeaux's owner?)

David and Aimee Graves. (David is Krista's brother)

What are the names of these boats and whose are they?

Mark's boat is the Firefly, correct? What are the other boat's names and owners?

Wespe, Mike Dollinger (yellow in back of pic); Firefly, Mark Gist; Unnamed British Bateau, Tom Nader; II (two), Jay Henderson; Tantrum, Jay Henderson. In the previous picture, we have the prop boat, aka Powder Tender (the one that blows up during the battle) and the Tantrum with Jay Henderson and Brian McCrary setting Powder Tender on fire.

Who are these chaps and who are they with?

Left to right, David Graves, Rats (Archangel), Bradley (GLRP) and Daniel Robertson (Skurvy Dog Clan), both dead, and Gavin Kelly's sword and pistol in the far right.

Mark, that rum keg belongs to the Great Lakes River Pirates. I believe it is Jay Henderson's. We'll have to figure out a way to arrange getting it home. Meantime, fill it with water and don't let it dry out...

Edited by historyfanatic

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

I thought he was joking about having the rum barrel!

I looted it from under Chole's table, but after hoisting it around a bit and showing off my plunder and cracking a few joke on the matter, I returned it to exactly where I found it (well it may have been a few inches from where it originally was). Was the barrel plundered again and moved to our area?

Michael_banner.jpg

Part 1 of Pirates of Paynetown pictures are now loaded on Graphic Enterprises.

If you'd like, there's a guest gallery where you can load your own pictures as well...

Edited by historyfanatic

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

Nate, can I use your photos on my web page? I'll give credit with links to the original page.

For an example of what I'm doing, check out my PiP '08 web page. It's just my personal page, done mostly to amuse the regulars around here and serve as a promotional thing for an event.

Edited by Raphael Misson

News articles:

Post-Tribune

Mark Gist Blog

Coming up August 13 on WTIU's Weekly Special: Pirates of Paynetown

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

Mission,

Yup! Use whatever you wish. Just be sure to reference where they come from. It's ok to use Graphic Enterprises pictures as well, just make sure you leave the "Cummings" Copyright logo on them.

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

Mission, I believe Miss Graves' personna name is Catherine Graff. Sorry I forgot to point that out earlier... (Parasol girl...)

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

www.ladywashington.org

I looted it from under Chole's table, but after hoisting it around a bit and showing off my plunder and cracking a few joke on the matter, I returned it to exactly where I found it (well it may have been a few inches from where it originally was). Was the barrel plundered again and moved to our area?

The barrel I'm talking about was left in our camp. I think that it was the one you used to hold up the cooler. We figured it was Rats'. It might not be the same one from the picture but both are black.

Mark

The barrel I'm talking about was left in our camp. I think that it was the one you used to hold up the cooler. We figured it was Rats'. It might not be the same one from the picture but both are black.

Mark

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that it is Rats's... But I think Kate would know better as she set up the drink cooler this past weekend. I'll ask her when I get home from work if she doesn't see this post and respond to it herself.

Michael_banner.jpg