Do YOU have what it takes?

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/06/12/yachting.quiz/index.html

Well, do you have the Ocean Sailor's Attitude?

Could you do it?

Lets see wot yer made of!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I got "Not quite up to the challenge"

You have quite a few of the qualities required to take this on, and probably like to think you could do it - but there are still a few issues you have that mean you may not really enjoy a challenge like this. A round-the-world voyage involves commitment for months, not days, and although you seem to have the desire to do it, in reality, it might be a bit too grueling. You may enjoy sailing, the outdoors, and the feeling of freedom: but you might be idealizing about this experience: there's plenty of hard work involved.

I think it is pretty close to true... While I do not shirk from hard work, I don't do well cooped up for extended periods of time... So I will have to leave myself to the category of a day-sailor, or at most a weekender... Which is just right for me! :(

Michael_banner.jpg

Hmm. Apparently I have the ocean sailor's attitude. Like William, I am surprised.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I found it hard to answer many of the questions as there were few responses that fit. 8 hours of sleep, wow thats alot I'm usually used to 3-5 when sailing often less. Longest trip well out of sight of land for weeks . . ., break in my routine would be difficult since I don't have a routine except when sailing.

Anyways it did come up that I have what it takes.

id.jpg

It would seem that I, too, have the "Ocean Sailor's Attitude." Then again I've sailed most of my life and as a biologist I often went to remote places where getting there was easy; getting back was sometimes the tricky part.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I passed. Even without having spent any long time out on the ocean. Very kewl! :(

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

apparently i too have what it takes, but same as alot of you, i work as a sailor anyway so i guess its appropriate....but i must say the answer choices weren't all to expressive...adieu

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

I have what it takes but only cause some of the questions just reminded me of Basic Training B)

-When you dont get 8 hours of sleep....

I sleep about 6 hours on average now...Basic I would get 4 just cause we would sneak to the latrine to fold our clothes and cut strings off our uniforms...or polish boots

-Forced to live in close quarters with a group of strangers...

Temper tents in field training were not very big....I camp a good bit so it doesnt bother me

-Rocky boat ride....

Only thing I have to compare with this is roller coasters...I'm a roller coaster junkie lol

-Freeze dried food...

Field Rations (MRE) and I dont really eat alot as it is..this one would have to be up in the air, but I think I could do fine

-Heights, Open spaces, big seas...

height...cliff jumping, done! Open spaces....camping for 6 months straight, done! Big seas.....never been out on the open sea...would be something to do I think....how far to europe I wonder???

-Normal Daily Routine..

I never have a routine really...but I do adapt pretty quickly to change I think

-Xbox, iPod, Phone...

again, basic training and camping for months...I dont even really watch TV

-Biggest yachting exp....

None..other than than taking a row boat out..could be my down fall

so I'd say I wouldnt be the BEST candidate, but I think it would be fun to try....anyone care to take me out on the seas? B)

m_88912d35e54b4e34952d9677df54b55f.png

Half Moon Marauders

Irish Diplomacy... is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip.

Aye,

least the wee quiz says i do, as i have never been aboard ships but always have wanted to be i think it would be grand. SInce i studied and wished to work in a field related industry (geology) i would truly welcome the openess of the sea.

ye ship's potter

salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

• 3 months later...

My longest Open Ocean Passage was from the Perlas Islands in the Bay of Panama to the Marquesas, French Polynesia. 28 days. Upon leaving the Canal Zone we made for Isla Cantadora, a very fine resort island. When the Shah of Iran, ran, that's where he ran to! we then went to Isla del Rey. There we cleaned the bottom, tuned the rig and did the final stowing of gear. We rescued a Leatherback Sea Turtle in the beginning of the trip and got the Trade Winds quite early according to the Pilot Charts. I believe it was the Turtle and so did the Polynesians! We crossed the Equator at 96 degrees west, verified by the flushing of the head. Like that Turtle, we all became Shellbacks that day, in the Court of King Neptune. We made the Marquesas in 28 days. Our best days run was 238 miles! This was on an Alden Ketch with a waterline of between 35 and 38 feet. What a trip! We stayed 30 days in the Marquesas then made Hawaii in 18 days. On the 16th day we saw the peaks of Moana Loa and Moana Kea! Above the clouds!

I would have to say, without having to take this test, that in my younger days I had what it took to cross long passages of open Ocean. I've encountered Seas fair and foul. I've tried my hand at commercial fishing, Passenger Ferry Service, Frieight, Yacht Deliveries, Charters and private yachts. Aye, a Sailor I have been.

These days I live on my boat. I chose my weather carefully. I mostly travel the Intracoastal Waterway and concider those open bodies of water before I leave the dock. I will go offshore under certain circumstances: I require a cabin steward, waiter and busboy. A crew to guest ratio of no less than 2 guest to 1 crew. It must be an older Ocean Going Liner not one of these new slab sided buildings with a pointed end. Or at best a Star Line Ship "P" Liner 4 masted Cruise Ship. That will get me off shore again.

• 1 month later...

according to the quiz, I can handle it, like others I have the "Ocean Sailor's Attitude".

The only one I had to think about for a minute was the tech stuff, loss of computer, etc. I'm a technophile but I think I love the ocean more.

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

• 2 years later...