Beautiful Scrimshaw

Isabella

I stumbled onto this site tonight, and since scrimshaw is a history with travelers I thought I would share. He does amazing and beautiful work.

http://www.pyrate.com/

Ironic how his site is close to this URL, eh? While I don't agree with whale hunting or harpooning, commerically, there are some aborignial people that depend on it as a right of manhood. You'll notice that he speaks about harpooning, etc, on his site, that's why I mentioned this.

Beautiful pendants, and so. :) I respect this type of artistic ability.

Isabella

Scrimshaw is beautiful. i do amatuer carving as a hobby. it's fun but can be frustrating sometimes.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

I do traditional in bone.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

As long as we're on the topic of scrimshaw ... anyone recall seeing scrimshaw pipeknives anywhere? I've been looking for one for ages.

For those of you who don't know what a pipeknife is ... its got at least one blade usually rounded off for scraping the cake from the interior of the pipe bowl, one long thin pick for digging around in the charred tobacco, and a tamper on the end for pushing the fresh tobacco down.

Yes, I've been smoking pipes for many years now. So what? :) That's right, gimme a good stoved virginia flake doused in a splash of Jamaican rum. Hell, for that matter, why not a stout honduran maduro with a glass of rum to sip with it? Great! Now I've got a craving for a smoke!

Wartooth

Aye, Wartooth, yer a man after me own tastes! No sissy cancer stick cigarettes ever touch Capt. William's lips; but give me a good pipe or cigar to puff on, and I'm content! And give me some straight rum or brandy to sip, and life gets no better, sez I!

Isabella, that was a pretty site indeed, but I notice there were no prices posted for the scrimshaw. That sort of thing scares me. ("If you have to ask how much it costs...")

Scupper, one of these days when I have some time to invest I'd like to get involved with a kind of scrimshaw work; making and carving powder horns.

Is bone hard to work with? B)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

A bit Capt William. It takes a strong hand and sharp tools. I've gouged myself a few times.

I've seen some locally Wartooth, for about 35.00. My husband is a Pipe Smoker also, and can't be without his tools! He's a Captain Spice smoker, or a Black Cavendish. He loves the aromatic smoke, so it doesn't chase me away. He's also got a lovely Cherry Almond that makes my mouth water. My husband is a Peterson B*tch, that's his pipe of choice. He's got three, but one that he smokes everyday, that I need to replace it's almost 10 years old! It's time!

We've seen some scrimshaw tampers/knives/tools from Zippo believe that one or not. We've seen some from a local man, that if I have mind too I'll take my digital camera when we go to the tobacco store next time to take a photo. Friend of ours works there, so he'll be oblige me.

I'll look around. Neat guy in Kentucky that does Pewter Tampers that are amazing. Have you seen them? If not I'll pull the link. :)

Capwill, that always scares me the lack of price. It's like my old X's mom said, "If you have to ask you probably don't want to know."

Izzy

Wartooth-

Do you just want the knife? Or the poker, knife and tamper tool combo?

Looking for the whole combo, Izzy. Thanks for the info and the help in my search. I will look through some Zippo catalogs and see if I can find one. I know they do faux-scrimshaw lighters, so why not pipe tools? :(

Wartooth

Now that I think about it ... a good small rigging knife would make a wonderful pipe tool and all-round utility blade. The marlinspike alone is just a thicker version of a pipe pick. I know I can find a nice scrimshaw rigging knife somewhere.

Wartooth

Now wait just a bleedin minute here capnwilliam I happen to like me cowboy killers almost as much as I like me pipe. and am quite prepared to run you through if'n ya dont like it :ph34r: Seriously though as a question I have seen alot of refrences to scrimshaw as being well ....beautiful and detailed but given the lack of artistic talent I among me own mates one would presume there is alot of scrimshaw out there that looks as bad as the cross I carved into the front of me clay pipe. Any one have any refrences out there to this type of work. Always have thought that the attempts of those who can't carry a certian charm ( loosers motto :ph34r: )

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Aye, Hitman, ye can always sell off those "early efforts" at scrimmin' as "primitives", a la Grandma Moses! B)

But ye better stop those cancer sticks, or ye'll be in Davey Jones' locker afore yer time, goode shipmate: me old Dad was a two pack a day Pall Mall man. and he didn't make it to 49. B)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Wartooth,

Hubby got to go to the Zippo Muesum/factory in PA, and said they had more than the catalogue you get in the mail ever offered. Consider emailing them to see.

My husband also has a Sheffield Tamper that is all metal, with plastic guards on the sides. His first one the guards broke off from daily wear. Maybe you could find someone to scrim what you want, and get one of these tampers?

It's made in England, long oval in shape, with pick, knife, and tamper foot on the bottom of it. Really great for 20.00. It's the best tamper he's found. He got his first on in Canada, but Tinder Box started carring them.

It's an idea, since you can shape bone/ivory to what it is needed for. Or maybe a neat project for yourself. :)

Izzy

Wartooth,

Hubby got to go to the Zippo Muesum/factory in PA, and said they had more than the catalogue you get in the mail ever offered. Consider emailing them to see.

Wot's this?

Where be this Museum/Factory in PA?

Might hafta make a trip iff'n i'tis close to me....

I have one o' their faux scrimshaw lighters.... nicely done... would love ta see wot else they got...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Wartooth,

My husband also has a Sheffield Tamper that is all metal, with plastic guards on the sides. His first one the guards broke off from daily wear. Maybe you could find someone to scrim what you want, and get one of these tampers?

It's made in England, long oval in shape, with pick, knife, and tamper foot on the bottom of it. Really great for 20.00. It's the best tamper he's found. He got his first on in Canada, but Tinder Box started carring them.

It's an idea, since you can shape bone/ivory to what it is needed for. Or maybe a neat project for yourself. :)

Izzy

Izzy - I will find out if they have what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info about the place.

As for me needing a project ... how much spare time do ye think I have? A nose can't pick itself, ya know. :huh:

Wartooth

Dorian,

It's in Bradford, PA. You can't miss the place. I'll ask hubby to write up directions, or remind me of where he was at when he went. :)

Wartooth,

Well, I'll sit down and pick my teeth with ya, free time is something I currently have. *looks at watch* Times up.! B)

The Izzster

• 6 years later...