Seabag questions

Ahoy Mateys,

I've newbie questions about seabags. I've located later period seabag illustrations of the "USS Congress (1842-1862) -- Embroidered Seabag". I also like the individuality of that seabag. It would help the owner to quickly find it among gear stowed about the ship.

So - Are seabags period correct for pyrate/age-of-sail reenactors or living history?

If - yes - Does any one have a pattern or more illustrations of what period seabags looked like?

Fair Winds,

thunderbuster

There is a thread that addresses similar issues to this in twill... https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=9514

I made a few snapsacks from a pattern through a link somewhere in there (specific, I know) If you want I can post a picture later.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

I can't "document" if my seabag is period or not...... but it is so dang handy for toting my stuff to PiP or any other Pyrate event, that truthfully... I don't worry about it to much.

There is an old thread in TWILL about how Sailors carried their stuff.... You might want to search for that if your'e really worried about it being "100% period"

<whisper> But no one is going to hassle you if you make and use one.......

For a pattern.... how big around do you want it?..... (Not to large).... and how tall do you want it... (once again... not to long) (basically, slightly smaller than a dufflebag.... but that's my preference. your millage may vary.....) then figure it out..... Hey... Sailors didn't go to JoAnn's and buy a pattern... they figured out what size of a bag they needed, and made one.....

Mine is like a huge ditty bag.... the bottom of the bag is two thickness of canvas (so it won't wear out...), and the top end closes the same way as my dittybag; with a lanyard and slipped turkshead knot.... Hey... it works for me, and so far no one has ever questioned me using it...........

I've been thinking about the question of seabags. I can offer some indirect information. For those who don't know me, I am the researcher for a copy of the Santa Maria. On Spanish ships around 1500, the crew stored their possessions in chests. These were part of the ship's furniture and would stay with the ship. Officers got a chest to themselves but everyone else had to share. Two able seamen shared a single chest. Apprentice seamen were three to a chest and pages (ship's boys) were four to a chest. Chests were typically 1'deep, 2' high, and 3' wide.

This is the indirect part. Sailors had to have a way of transporting their possessions and keeping them separate. Bags have been the most common way of doing this since pre-history. I suspect but can't prove that sailors used their seabags for this and that they would be the proper size to fit into their portion of a seachest.

Mark

Mark, that is really interesting. Using those "fractions" it would be easy enough to figure out what size bag would be appropriate.

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

This is the snap-sack I made for my boys, this one measures 25 inches long, 12 1/2 inches wide and has a 37 inch strap that I need to shorten.

100_2194.jpg

100_2195.jpg

Arrgh Mateys,

My blood loss from self-inflicted sewing wounds has slowed to a trickle...so I can type this...wink.gif Please bear with my continued newbie seabag & personal item questions. I've located the really cool embroidery discussion thread with a lot of really interesting decorations, which causes me to desire trying the skill. IF my Mrs. and her patience hold up in teaching me.

Is cross-stiching a period correct kind of embroidery?

Are cross-stiching and embroidery different names for the same thing?

With your collective and varied research all y'all are being most helpful and patient, thank you.

Fair Winds,

thunderbuster

Arrgh,

I appreciate your collective patience and insights on seabags. I've sighted and plundered the port's library, and discovered answers to many of my newbie questions about sewing and embroidery of many, many styles! So much to learn...on how our ancestors made their goods!

Fair Winds,

thunderbuster

Cross stitching is just one type of embroidery there is crewel and needlepoint and blackwork, whitework, ribbon embroidery and cutwork and others do what you find works for you in the style you choose by researching period pieces ...and have fun with it ....I'm doing some free work embroidery on our seabags to personalize them with simple satin and chain stitch patterns to add names and simple floral designs for each bag.

Edited by callenish gunner

See... I don't know if cross stitch is period or not..... well they use something kinda the same in blackwork..... but I don't know....

Chainstitch. running stitch,,, (and that other one that I can't remember right now) have been used forever..... (dang I'm glad this isn't in TWILL)

I used (I think) it's chain stitch on my sea bag to write out my name..... and hey.. it looks cool.....

Probably not... At least the ones I am thinking of. Especially, if as previously stated, they were stashed in sea chests. I know there are later examples (though I can't recall if there were any from our period) that were heavily embroidered. I would certainly kill my husband if he tarred any of my needlework! lol.

• 8 months later...
ive got a bunch of heavy cotton canvas laying around.would this be alright to use for a snap sack...as ive no hemp canvas??ty

Hey Adam, there is no solid yes or no answer to that question...

On the whole, most re-enactment groups and events are okay with using cotton canvas over hemp canvas, so for most cases your answer would be yes (actually, there are no instances of in pirate re-enacting that I am aware of where it wouldn't be okay).

Now, that said... Stuff that is made well, and from the correct materials does tend to garner more attention and garner greater praise.

I haven't seen it in the pirate re-enacting community, and to be truthful, it does seem rare in the greater re-enacting community, but there are groups and/or events where correct materials matter more (and perhaps may even be mandated).

So ultimately, the answer to your question lies in what you are going for, and if you plan to attend the more strict events/group functions, do you want to have to make a second bag later on. Or do you want to settle, and aim to stick to the more relaxed events (which really seems to be the majority anyways).

Michael_banner.jpg

Thank you much...methinks that for now ill make one out of the cotton until i get ahold of some hemp.im near blackbeards crew in hampton va...great bunch of people.itll give me some practice so i dont mess up the hemp.then i can let my daughter use the cotton its great to see how enthusiastic she is..not 4 years just yet but loves anything pirate.ty again.

Here at metal wackers forge.....um....well... we wack metal.

http://www.colonialseaport.org/

http://www.creweofthearchangel.com/

http://www.blackbeardscrew.org/