Treasure Island, starring Christian Bale as Jim

Hester

Has anyone ever seen the 1972 version with Orson Welles as Long John Silver?

Treasureisland72.jpg

Aye. T'was the first Treasure Island version I saw. It's rather decent. And ye actually see Mrs Silver in it - a Jamaican woman, t' boot. Use to have this on VHS, havin' taped it off of HBO back when I was a youthful lass barely in m' tweens. Bloody well wore th' darned tape out! :) I fancied this Orson Wells movie moreso than Citizen Kane.

But this version still doesn't compare to the 1990 version with Charlton Heston and Christian Bale.

And McCool....

Ye lookin' for the Orson Wells version? Or the Charlton Heston version?

I've a VHS version of the 1990 version with Heston and Bale. I haven't gotten 'round to copyin' it off onto DVD for m'self yet. Granted at this time, it's packed away. But again, I dare say, I fancy this last version best. The story best follows the book and the attire is fabulous, too. How's this for a taste:

1adc.jpg

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Is this the one where theose two guys are running around with a cannon slung around their necks and then turn and fire it at the mutineers, with no discernable ill effects to the two dudes carrying it?

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Aye- I have a copy of the Christian Bale/Charlton Heston version on DVD.

Want to rent it out? I'm sure you could make a few bucks with all the folks here on th Pub that want to see it.

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

No kidding! I'd do a lot to get my hands on a copy (save paying too much money for it. What? I'm chea - er, I mean, poor.)

And, LadyB, I did mean the Heston/Bale version, thanks for clarifying. Best damn pirate movie ever. 'Cept maybe Captain Blood. I'm dying to get my hands on it somehow.

Never seen the Orson Wells version, but it'd be very interesting to see him as Silver!

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

No kidding! I'd do a lot to get my hands on a copy (save paying too much money for it. What? I'm chea - er, I mean, poor.)

And, LadyB, I did mean the Heston/Bale version, thanks for clarifying. Best damn pirate movie ever. 'Cept maybe Captain Blood. I'm dying to get my hands on it somehow.

Never seen the Orson Wells version, but it'd be very interesting to see him as Silver!

well, then PM me, and we'll see what we can do...

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oi! I was just able to get me hands on a copy of the Orson Welles version! The video itself was mastered in EP mode, so it's a bit grainy, but certainly more than watchable. A very interesting turn as Silver, Welles is. Seein' as it was made in the 70's the soundtrack does have a certain 70's "Movie of the Week" feel to it.

But fer me...

Robert Newton still- hands down, with a certain fondness for Wallace Beery!

It be me life's work now, to track down all the versions of Treasure Island....

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Sigh I wanted to see that version. Now I can! Thanks!!

I have the one withh Roert Newton which is charming

newton-treasureislaqnd.jpg

Aye- that be the "sequel" made after the Disney version.

There was also a television series with Robert Newton, where he and and Miss Purity were given custody of young Jim Hawkins.

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

I'd be interested in seeing a tally of all the versions you can find. There have got to be positively millions by this point.

Which, on a certain level, is kind of a bummer, considering how many other great pirate books out there have never been adapted to film. The Guardship, for example. And that's not even counting the stories of real pirates, which were often just as interesting as fiction (if not more, in some cases).

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Heh, y'know, there's something deeply satisfying in the idea of a pirate reenactor pirating a pirate movie from a site called the Pirate Bay.

-Captain Jack Sparrow