Dutch oven recipes

callenish gunner

On this side of the pond "Dutch Oven" is a euphemism for when ones breaks wind in bed then pulls the duvet over the wife's head. Oddly, I've never met a girl who found it funny, they keep calling me puerile! :lol:

Hehe, that's good. I'll have to remember this next time someone gives me grief for calling it a bake kettle, that being the term lots of folks over here have started using, after a bunch of digging around for references to what the thing is actually called in period. But change comes slowly. Maybe letting them in on the joke will speed things along wink.gif

On this side of the pond "Dutch Oven" is a euphemism for when ones breaks wind in bed then pulls the duvet over the wife's head. Oddly, I've never met a girl who found it funny, they keep calling me puerile! :lol:

Hehe, that's good. I'll have to remember this next time someone gives me grief for calling it a bake kettle, that being the term lots of folks over here have started using, after a bunch of digging around for references to what the thing is actually called in period. But change comes slowly. Maybe letting them in on the joke will speed things along wink.gif

Wikipedia gives two possible origins for the name. The first is that they meant "Dutch-style" ovens since the first Englishman to produce them based his technique on the Dutch. The other is that they got the name because Dutch merchant ships were selling them. Either way, that is the name they have had since the English started using them 300 years ago.

Mark

Also that term Dutch was used to mean 'false' or used in a derogatory way of characteristic/manners of or attributed to the Dutch; usually as a way of ridiculing them, possibly due to the hostility between English and Dutch in the 17thC. Dutch auction or auctioneer(Start high and drop the price), bargain(Overpriced or shonky goods), concert(a cacophony), courage(false bravado owing to booze), gleek, nightingale, uncle. Dutch comfort, consolation, defence, feast, palate, reckoning, widow, Dutch act(suicide or doing a runner) yaddayaddayadda

Bit like The French calling syphlis the English Disease and the English calling it the French pox

The biggy still used today is going Dutch or Dutch lunch, party, <A name=50071137se68>supper, treat where you pay for your own meal rather than get treated to a meal at someone elses expense.

So as it's a cookpot, not an proper oven as such, its a Dutch(mans) oven.

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

I just priced saffron yesterday, it comes out to around $350 an ounce. Maybe I should lock up the bottle from the Chinese market, it was cheaper there *g*

Pah! We've been asked to source some ambergis (Sperm Whale puke or pooh 'pending on size) for some awfentick 17thC confections and This place in NZ is charging $20 a gram which works out $560 an oz ;o)

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

I just priced saffron yesterday, it comes out to around $350 an ounce. Maybe I should lock up the bottle from the Chinese market, it was cheaper there *g*

Pah! We've been asked to source some ambergis (Sperm Whale puke or pooh 'pending on size) for some awfentick 17thC confections and This place in NZ is charging $20 a gram which works out $560 an oz ;o)

Ouch! Guess I'll have to start combing beaches. 'Course I'd have to figure out what it looks like in the sand first. *L* I have some receipts for period cosmetics that call for it.

Saffron is pricy. It's used rather sparingly in dishes I've noticed. Usually no more than a pinch. And honestly, that's all you need. Hell, it's a LOT of flavor and coloring for something so fine and stringy. But keep your eyes open, sometimes, you can find it cheaper. I found a few pinches worth of Saffron at Wal-Mart for about $6. I grabbed it without thinking. Darn good price! And, not every place carries it. Took me searching a couple stores locally before finding Saffron. The best way to distribute Saffron over a chicken or anything else BEFORE a sauce is made... grind it up into a fine powder. Saw that today on Barefoot Contessa where ground Saffron was used as part of a dry mixture for a basic tagine.

Were they whole hens or the small game hens that you used, Lady Brower?

Keep the dutch oven recipes coming, mates! I'm LOVING it!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!