Other events for the Mercury

We can also bring the one currently being babysat by us to Searle's Raid. That way we have a backup.... Or it might save you the effort of making another one.

As for suggestions for events...

I have been in touch with the organizer for the Put-In-Bay pirate festival a fair amount over the last few months. It is the last week of June. I have been asked to try and double our numbers from last year, and this should be possible, as I have also been approached by another mid-western area pirate re-enactment group about them joining in... But getting more of the Mercury out for this one would be great!

Continued support of the Santa Maria events would also be appreciated! The May one seems to be the bigger of the two, but both are well worth attending.

Kate and I will definitely come back to Fort De Chartres. Despite the oppressive heat of last year, we had a great time and really like the site!

Alafia sounds great, but with my limited vacation time... It has to be a choice between Alafia and St. Augustine.... And well, I really like Searle's raid! ;)

Another one to consider is Pirates of Paynetown (website not updated for next year yet)... Nate runs a great event there, and while I have been to many events with larger boats, I don't think I have ever been to an event with more boats. And Nate has asked for my assistance in helping coordinate this coming year. :P

Any way about it, I hope to see the Mercury a lot this coming year to make up for missing you all in Key West.

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then by all means send it to Jon and we'll see what we can do to make our presence known. while there this year I plan to talk to the organizers and inquire as to how receptive they would be to a group of Pyrates trading contraband at a rendezvous.

They loved our presence at Fort de Chartres, and that's a Rendezvous. We're pitching some more living history demo stuff this year at the fort to make ourselves even more well known and I'm buying at least one whole ham just to take around to the camps to parcel out. The turkey was a huge hit.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

How about Alafia River Rendezvous? A pre-1840 week-long event in desperate need of a pyrate presence. Find it here.

A week-long presence would be excellent, but it's way too late to register now. I'm going on Saturday (the 21st, I think.)

Although the web site doesn't seem to be up right now...

It has never lacked for a pirate presence - pirates and pirate encampments were there, at least the times I've gone. The best part of the event is the live shooting competition with rifle and pistol. And the shopping is fantastic!

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Aye, Alafia river rendezvous is a HUGE encampment here in fla, and there is a few pirate camps ,Bo Gator ,Doug manny namous usually camp ,i've not had the time off work to camp but have been for public days for the last 5 years its a great shopping experiance and to see all (400-500) camps has given me ideas for my encampment over the years .

I also am trying to be there for saturday the 22

I have been in touch with the organizer for the Put-In-Bay pirate festival a fair amount over the last few months. It is the last week of June. I have been asked to try and double our numbers from last year, and this should be possible, as I have also been approached by another mid-western area pirate re-enactment group about them joining in... But getting more of the Mercury out for this one would be great!

I was going to suggest this one, so let me just second Michael. It's got the best of both worlds: people who are genuinely interested in the educational/living history stuff and a fun party scene after hours. The folks on the island went out of their way to make sure we had what we needed. I had a seriously good time last year - it was one of my favorite events of 2010. (If you're curious about my perspective of it, check out the Surgeon's Journal for it.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

After checking flights last night, both Searles and Fort De Chartres looks pretty reasonable assuming I can get vacation days approved..

Alas, school is still in during Searles and camping is problematic for Kimm, (1 or 2 days max for her) so may rule out the rendezvous.

So I may have to punt on these in order to get both of us to an event like Put In Bay or Paynetown.

maybe the CFO will approve my going to one them - we'll see. Stay tuned

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

After checking flights last night, both Searles and Fort De Chartres looks pretty reasonable assuming I can get vacation days approved..

Alas, school is still in during Searles and camping is problematic for Kimm, (1 or 2 days max for her) so may rule out the rendezvous.

So I may have to punt on these in order to get both of us to an event like Put In Bay or Paynetown.

maybe the CFO will approve my going to one them - we'll see. Stay tuned

mP

FYI, there is a hotel right near the Searle's site that's pretty reasonable:

http://www.ramadahistoric.com/

Unfortunately, there are no reasonable hotels on Put-in-Bay. I drove in for the day because it's only about an hour from my house. I'd like to stay Friday night this time, though.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

wow !! you guys wanna do the fort again ?? this year was the most brutal in memory....that was my first june fort...i was at the november fort last year and the weather was incredible...this year in november, it was very cold and windy...

never the less, what are the chances of two bad years in a row ?? count us in as well... rusty carl and aj should be there, as well as dead man jim and his lass...more canvas for shade is in order, as well as cooler temps !!

connie really wants to do put in bay and searle's...

santa maria is just too cool to miss

I didn't even mention the Santa Maria because that is a cinch for me. :o It's led by Michael, Mark, Jennie & Kate, Mercury-laden, often the best place to find all the Florida-based pirates and the place to find a detachment of Thatchers. (Except for Grace. :rolleyes: )

Mission_banner5.JPG

They loved our presence at Fort de Chartres, and that's a Rendezvous. We're pitching some more living history demo stuff this year at the fort to make ourselves even more well known and I'm buying at least one whole ham just to take around to the camps to parcel out. The turkey was a huge hit.

Nothing brings people together like food. That always wins friends, good idea!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

wow !! you guys wanna do the fort again ??

Brutality of the heat aside, they treated us like gold and were very welcoming. The fort is beautiful and the land rustic and well tilled in equal portions, so you could hardly ask for a better backdrop. Besides, I have many friends there that I can't wait to see again. Also, we have our foot firmly planted in the door and I mean to do more at this year's event.

I was going to suggest this one, so let me just second Michael. It's got the best of both worlds: people who are genuinely interested in the educational/living history stuff and a fun party scene after hours. The folks on the island went out of their way to make sure we had what we needed. I had a seriously good time last year - it was one of my favorite events of 2010. (If you're curious about my perspective of it, check out the Surgeon's Journal for it.)

Lots of reasons to come.

Put-In-Bay bills itself as the Key West of the Great Lakes. Lots of bars with good bands at night. The organizers went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

Mark

let us know what we can do !!

We'll have a list of needs, errands, and the like as we draw closer. It would be nice to get the word out as often as possible that we're coming back. Spread the word at events that we love new recruits. We might also begin amassing more barrels and bales and casks, so that our camp has the feel of river pirates in the business of trade.

wow !! you guys wanna do the fort again ??

Brutality of the heat aside, they treated us like gold and were very welcoming. The fort is beautiful and the land rustic and well tilled in equal portions, so you could hardly ask for a better backdrop. Besides, I have many friends there that I can't wait to see again. Also, we have our foot firmly planted in the door and I mean to do more at this year's event.

Ahoy ! Searles (defnately) Put-in Bay ( most probably), FDC (definately), MB, Ineed to coordinate with you Sir for Searles, also will call D.D. with FDC after the first of the year...........

Capt. J...

Yo Ho.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Put-in-Bay is mostly organized on Facebook, William. Not everything is settled for that event, but I added you to the group so you can see what's going on.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Put-in-Bay is mostly discussed on Facebook because all (or at least most) who attend are on there, while many who attend are not on the pub.

However, I would be more than happy if a parallel discussion took place on the pub (preferably in Raids) as I prefer the pub format for discussions like that, and can easily pass on any good info or ideas from the pub to the Facebook group.

Michael_banner.jpg

For those members of the Mercury not in the know, we're considering a shift to Put-in-Bay because of the exhaustive heat we've battled for two years at Fort de Chartres. We still encourage members of the Mercury who cannot go to Put-in-Bay to attend Fort de Chartres, since it's close by to so many of you, but for those of us who are traveling from much further away, Put-in-Bay is looking very tempting.