Other events for the Mercury

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While details are still being sorted out... I now have a date for the pirate festival in Northern Ohio. June 25th through June 28th. I'm in the early stages of discussing things with the festival organizer, but he seems like a very easy guy to work with. I had almost given up hope on this one until I got an email from him this morning apologizing to me for the lateness of the response (and an explanation he had been abroad for the last few months).

The festival will take place in what is basically a resort town on Lake Erie. The festival has (from my experience last year) tried to balance both re-enactor pirates and festival pirates (if anything, there was more entertainment focused pirates than re-enactors). I will be the main point of contact for this one. There is no fancy Fort or anything there, but it is a nice place, and the proximity to the large body of water and the hot weather at that time of year makes it a pretty good place for a festival. Anyways, I'll post more a the details are firmed up.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

any breaking news with the powers that be at the fort ???

Quite good timing Sir,,,,,Darrell Duesing of the Fort e-mailed me today saying that the 40th rendezvous is on for this year....He offered to rope off a special area for the Mercury Cew to camp and then discuss how the crew may participate in other functions. He wants a head count so I e-mailed Quartermaster William this morning for direction.......could you help with some of this also?

This appears like it could be a real good time for a bunch of scallywags. Your thoughts Sir ?

Capt. J...

Yo Ho.......

wow !! it sounds like they are very willing to play !! that is great news !! did you mean help with the head counting ??

on our end, there will be my family,there will be about 8 of us, and there will probably be in the neighborhood of 10 or so that will come and join us from the st. louis area... of course as time goes on, there may be more, there may be less...

I deleted the email by accident, thinking that it was just a message pointing to a private message here. I am coming to the event and I would like everyone to start sounding off. Let's get this thing on the map and start planning what we need as a crew for the event. I'll be bringing a huge flag.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I deleted the email by accident, thinking that it was just a message pointing to a private message here. I am coming to the event and I would like everyone to start sounding off. Let's get this thing on the map and start planning what we need as a crew for the event. I'll be bringing a huge flag.

Please count the wife and I as in. We'll have everything we need to take care of ourselves and perhaps a few extras to help the camp in general. Our tent footprint is about 8 feet by 9 feet. Let us know if you need anything else from us.

Michael_banner.jpg

I'm a yes for the Northern Ohio event. Right now, I'd have to say probably not for the Missouri event.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

WELL THIS SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE A JOLLY GOOD TIME....THE EVENT IS REALLY BIG...LOTS OF VENDORS,,,,,,LOTS OF DEMONSTRATIONS,,,,FOOD,LOTS OF PERIOD CAMPERS...NOW SOME SCALLYWAGS......THIS IS GOOD....QUARTERMASTER WILLIAM TELL ME WHAT YA WANT ME TO DO..... MAYBE MISTER SILAS COULD HELP ME WITH SOME OF THE ARRANGEMENTS.......WHAT SAY YOU SILAS???????

CAPT J

Yo Ho.......

will help to the best of my capabilities...

william, glad you and the family are able to come...

tent footprints ?? right now, we are in the process of acquiring a different tent... may still have the old one, and maybe a smaller wedge tent... so right now, don't wanna give any sizes...

may have a few from st. louis joining us... i'll out our feelers for who is going to...

• 4 months later...

It appears that the Mercury Crew wiil have a presence

at the Blessing of the Fleet Ceremony at Portage De Soix on SATURDAY I think this is the most ecumenical thing we have done !!!!!!!!!!!

We will convey pictures !!!!!!!!!!!

Yo Ho !!!!!!!

Edited by Capt. J...

Yo Ho.......

• 1 month later...

We went to see the Whydah exhibit in Provinetown MA. this week.....the exhibit displayed some different items than the traveling exhibit.......my favorite was the mummified pirate...God rest his soul !!!!!! He did look good though for being that old.......I met Barry Clifford and had my picture taken with him.............I told him that we were at the St. Louis exhibit demonstrating piratetude along with others...... Barry offered thanks to ALL who were there working the St. Louis exhibit as pirates!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fair Winds,

(because we are waiting for HC Earle to show up this afternoon)

Yo Ho.......

Aye! And it waar a right pleasure ta have ye aboard!

And indeed, to the rest of ye crew, we do have other amazin' arteefacts here that din't go on tour. With over 200,000 recover'd arteefacts o' the Whydah, and only 200 a'them on tour, thar's plenty ta see, and we welcum one-n-all ta cum an' view 'em. Each 'n every piece from the Whydah, wethar a single piece o' kloth or a single piece o' eight, be a priceless treasure, and it be a privileg'd honor just ta clap yur eyes on one of 'em! An we gots two a the 62 cannon recover'd from the wreck, one o'which be the infamous treasure cannon stuffed with loot; an while little John King's leg bone be on tour, we gots here the sawn off leg bone of one'a the pirate crew; and a'course we got coins, textiles, pistols, parts o'da ship's riggin', pewter plates, pistols shots made by the pirates tharselves, cannon balls, grenades, the water tank of many large still-concreted artifacts, etc. We also gots a few arteefacts from some of the other ships Barry Clifford done discover'd, such as the Fiery Dragon.

Speakin' o' Barry Clifford, that real life Indiana Jones, he'll be headin' ta Madagascar this Fall to continue explorin' Captain Kidd's Adventure Galley.

The museum be closed today in preparation for the hurricane a'comin' tonight. We've battened down the hatches, boarded up the windows, and shor'd up the structure, to ensure the protection o' the treasure within! Clifford's research vessel, the famed Vast Explorer, is moor'd out in the harbor waar the Mayflower once anchor'd whilst they sign'd the Compact, til the storm be pass'd.

May the maggots belay to infest yur biscuts, the bloody flux avoid yur water casks, the seas rize up ta kiss yur bow figurehead, the sun shine with mercy upon yur face, the rain fall soft on yur decks, and the wind billow yur sails,

Jim "Pistol O'Cannon" Cunningham, docent (or "janitor" as our beloved curator is fond of calling me), Whydah Pirate Museum

Edited by PistolOcannon

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH! - Oh, I'm sorry - did you think I meant MY death?

• 3 months later...

How about Alafia River Rendezvous? A pre-1840 week-long event in desperate need of a pyrate presence. Find it here.

A week-long presence would be excellent, but it's way too late to register now. I'm going on Saturday (the 21st, I think.)

Although the web site doesn't seem to be up right now...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I might be able to make it on saturday for Alafia. I think Willy Wobble and some others were also talking about going for a day (although that may have been last year).

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

How about Alafia River Rendezvous? A pre-1840 week-long event in desperate need of a pyrate presence. Find it here.

A week-long presence would be excellent, but it's way too late to register now. I'm going on Saturday (the 21st, I think.)

Although the web site doesn't seem to be up right now...

Do you need a flag for that?

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Not for a day trip...perhaps next year we'll do something for the week. Then we'll need a flag and a mast section to run it up.

While there are no battles, they do have a live fire range and competition during the week. A live-fire cannon on the rifle range might impress them...

3ff66f1f.jpg

Jon reminded me that Willie was there last year as were the guys from St. Augustine. Others who have been known to show up are Jack, Hurricane, Diosa (who is also going sat.), Brig and Mae and others who I may not have mentioned.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Then by all means send it to Jon and we'll see what we can do to make our presence known. while there this year I plan to talk to the organizers and inquire as to how receptive they would be to a group of Pyrates trading contraband at a rendezvous.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg