Random Period Brewing info

michaelsbagley

Found the below quote while researching something else... Didn't think the practice of substituting sugar (or sugar like substances) for barley malt went back that far.

Link to original citation Bold added by me.

1117. Capt. Lloyd to Mr. Secretary Hedges. Last year was sent, by ye Commissioners for Victualing, to ye company at Newfoundland, meal in lew of Biskett, which being useless in that country for want of ovens etc., I pray they be ordered to avoid that method, and also order money to buy melosses instead of malt for beer etc. It will be so late in ye year before I arrive in Newfoundland, yt. I shall not have time to provide some things I did intend to do there in relation to Platientia; and therefore pray your Honour will give orders yt. 18 scaleing ladders, of 22ft. long each, be provided, that they be made in joynts and put up in chests. Signed, Tho. Lloyd. Holograph. 2 pp. [C.O. 194, 22. No. 19.]
Michael_banner.jpg

Well, that does make sense. Today, many Belgian style beers are made with a combination of malted barley and sugar. Some of the most notable brewers of these styles are monks. Although their recipe may very well be different from their original recipes (unfortunately, they're kind of secretive about them), the process of substituting sugar substances was probably used back then as well. It's really just a matter of what resources you have available at the time.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg