Favorite Eateries

Ransom

Whether it's the Pub down the street, or a restaurant in another town or country, what are your favorite places to eat, and what is it about the place that you like? Brag about a hometown favorite, or even post a link to it.

This is one my husband and I just discovered, in the coastal town of Florence, Oregon. The Waterfront Depot. Right on the bay, has the atmosphere of a old Pub — wooden floors, old style bar, small eating area. It's a local hangout, and so busy the only reservation time left was 8:15 pm. We got a table right by the windows overlooking the bay, which was pure luck. The lighting is mellow, kinda like lantern or candlelight.

Food was extraordinary! We were told by three people — the person who recommended the place, the lady at our hotel, and a waitress at another restaurant — that the dish to order is the crab encrusted halibut. We did. Our waitress just grinned, and said it was as addicting as crack! She was right! OMG was it good. So was the wine, Mount Baker Merlot.

So, if you ever get a chance to cruise the Oregon coast, stop in Florence, head to the Historic Bay Front, and make reservations early, since they fill up fast, at the Waterfront Depot.

www.thewaterfrontdepot.com (Currently the web site is under construction)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

The Highland Still House, Oregon City, Oregon, nice Scottish pub with a wall of whiskey to challenge the stoutest peat-head! Also a favorite port of Pirates of Portlandia. Run by a couple of the finest scallywags ever to wash ashore in these parts. Great food, beer, ale, and whiskey. They've even laid in our favorite rhums!

Jo's Saloon, Milwaukie, Oregon, a clean well lighted place near work. Great for a well made burger and a pint or two for lunch. They also do a good BLT. Homemade chips, fresh cut fries.

Oh sure, there are a lot of fyne and fancy places around the metro area that I could list, but do they know me by name there (my pyrate name at that!) and do the waitresses give me hugs?

Food was extraordinary! <snip> the dish to order is the crap encrusted halibut.

Surely you jest!?! But that would be "extraordinary"!

Well, there's any number of places in my area that get a hearty "Yar"! from me.

In Old Town Alexandria there are two establishments I'm rather fond of. The Union Street Pub and The Charthouse. The Pub is built in one of the old old warehouses and has a fine Colonial feel to it. The Charthouse is a little more upper crust but's built right on the pier and sits on the river. The food is excellent and the service usually is too.

My wife is from Korea so we spend a fair amount of time in "Little Korea" (Annandale, VA). One of our favorite places there is Il Mi Buffette. Fill your plate with freshly marinated bulgogi and have it cooked right there at your table.

Right across from Il Mi is Shilla bakery, which also serves great coffee and "Ping Su". Ping Su is a shaved ice treat that's great on a summer day.

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

Whenever our crewe is even remotely near South Carolina we also dock at the Queen Anne's Revenge. Part museum, part restaurant, it takes us hours to get out of there. Particularly love the frock coat in the bar with the bullet holes through it and the huge painting of Marooned.

http://www.qarevenge.com/

Oh, and the food is absolutely delicious.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

This bein' Akron OH, there ain't much here of a nautical theme...not even with a canal theme, which is odd when you consider the role canals played in this city. So I gotta go where I can...like Azteca, the very local Mexican place...only 8 or so minutes away, and that's on foot, thats how local it is. Decent grub, good service, good price...

When I'm at DisneyWorld...well, there's several places I favor. The Liberty Tree Tavern in Magic Kingdom has great crab cakes...the Bierkeller in the German Pavilion, Epcot (buffet style, but great burgerlichkuchen), and the Coral Reef...since it shares the aquarium with the Living Seas (or whatever they're calling it now), its the only place I know where you can see the seafood seeing you.

And I do confess...I go to the local Red Lobster sometimes, too.

Damn, thats sharp!

little hole in the wall bar in south st. louis called crusoe's... great food... haven't been there in awhile...

while in mystic, conn., ate at mystic pizza... not real impressed with it at all... had to eat there since we were literally a block away, but wasn't worth it :P

• 4 weeks later...

If it's casual and on the water..I'm there. I recently had a wonderful lunch at one which doubles as a local fish market. Shared with truly wonderful company and some ducks. Alas the outdoor places I have been in St. Maarten, KeyWest, and an amazing little French place tucked away in the small bit of "woods" in Bermuda..travel always makes food better.

The Irish Coffee Pub out here is great. That's another...add a fireplace, natural stone, good food and drink and I'm there as well.

Done the Sushi bar , the crab house and Central park's Boat House in Manhattan...but the little local in a very local part of Puerto Rico in the Old San Juan section was a memory. The food was amazing, the tables few and the flaming shots of tequilla being smacked on the table and downed with gusto by deeply tanned locals and a lot of habanero sauce...ole!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

My favorite dining spot in the world is Shields' Tavern at Colonial Williamsburg. Oh, to slip into the cool, dark basement there, especially on a sultry night, amidst the wine racks, and sip a Punch Royale! Then, if one is truly blessed, "Mr. Shields" himself will make an appearance to welcome his guests, and perhaps join your table to talk of news of the day...

Magical!

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

My favourite restaurant in the US has to be Commander's Palace in New Orleans.

It is literally across the street from the Lafayette Cemetery (Ann Rice, Easy Rider).

The lunch specials are very affordable.Be aware that there is a dress code.

But I have seen the occasional Euro-trash tourist in shorts & t-shirts. But only at

lunch.

Commander's Palace

It's a classy place to take a date and treat her to Bananas Foster prepared at your table on a

little cart. Then impress the lady by preparing it for her at home :)

bananas-foster.jpg

Edited by CaptainSatan

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

Panera. Free Wi-Fi and good food.

For favorite posh restaurants: Cafe Solé in Key West and Hermann's European Cafe in Cadillac, MI. Both have excellent food (at the former I suggest the hog fish snapper, at the latter the morel mushroom soup & tempura shrimp) and neither is pretentious. I will go out of my way to eat at either place when the opportunity presents.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Oh man...could there be a harder decision than my favorite place to eat?! Well....I'll just list a few...promise :)

Chain places:

Carrabas

Mortons

Chipotle

The Oceanair

Rock Bottom Brewery

Frisch's

Local places:

The Golden Lamb

The Iron Skillet

Royal Taj Indian

Cock and Bull Irish Pub

Pompillio's Italian Restaurant

Deefelice Cafe

Thats a small sampling I suppose lol ;)

GageSig.png

Ooh Mission I love Panera. They have the best mango smoothies and a fireplace :)

Theres a place in Greenport called The Rhumb Line.. for those of you not in the know a rhumb line is a path of constant bearing in nautical terms. Anyway it was always a really cool place. Planking, a fireplace and the passageway in from the back felt just like entering through a ship's passageway. The local fish is still great, but alas they have modernized the place.

As you head way East there are many little places tucked along the shore routes that serve local recipies passed down through generations that still run them. The vast original immigrant population makes for some interesting dishes (polish, swedish, german, irish) and the farmland produces some pies that people will drive 2 hours just to buy for the holidays.

OH and diners...NY is land of diners. Everyone has a favorite. Sunday morning after church is a must.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Ah, when discussing Greenport, I have to mention the mandatory stop at The Elbow Room on the way home, there to eat one of their legendary marinated steaks and a bottle of a local wine...Ah, bliss!

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

• 3 months later...

While spending last weekend in Newport, Oregon, one of the places we headed for was the Local Ocean Seafoods restaurant. It used to be an old gas station, so the front doors roll up during summer, affording you an unobstructed view of the marina and commercial docks. The food is wonderful, fresh, and served with a smile. They also have an oyster bar and fish market. The wine and beer are also excellent. If you're ever in Newport and enjoying the outstanding views along Yaquina Bay, stop in and have a bite. You'll be glad you did.

Local Ocean Seafoods

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Le Nonne in Logan. Best Italian ever, though I once had a smashing good pasta in Little Italy in New York.

Sushi at Tanpopo, now closed. Sadly, the owner passed away from cancer.

The perfect dinner at Cafe Sole in Key West.

18 hour smoked beef brisket at Armadillo Willie's anywhere they serve it.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Where I'm at:

Dalton's Road House in San Marcos; great steaks, chops and other goodies. Peanuts and shells on the floor.

Fish House Vera Cruz in San Marcos- very good and nifty gift store.

China Bistro in Escondido - Best Chinese ever

Wrangler Bar-b-que in Escondido - Voted the Best Bar-b-que in San Diego, via San Diego Home and Garden magazine. It really is tops!

The best homemade Jewish chicken soup - my house. :lol:

• 3 months later...

Here's another of our favorites on the West Coast of Oregon, this one located in Florence. We had lunch there last Sunday, and it was wonderful, as usual. With your meal, if you're not into beer (like me), try the Mt. Baker Merlot. Yummy!

Restobar 1285

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Only been there twice but by far my favorite place is the White Horse Tavern, http://www.whitehorsetavern.us/ We had our officers meeting there in January and we took the rest of the crew last week. a little pricey so we need to be a little selective when we go... Also big note all you here it was built in 1653 and bought by William Mayes Sr in 1673. he was a very nice man and everyone loved him... enough about him... His son was one of the Pirates named in Kidds commission. when he retired he took over the place. if any of you are in the area definitely check it out.

Being a well travelled foodie, there's so many but I'll list a few of my faves.

Vallejo's in Sacramento, CA: best Chile Relleno you'll ever have

The Brick in Roslyn, Wa: It's a bit out of the way but the food service and beer is worth the trip

Ford's in Sacramento, CA: Little burger joint behind the strip mall on Sutterville and Freeport across from Land Park. You've gotta try the 1lb. burger

Johnny Reb's in Victorville, CA: Best BBQ this side of the Mississippi

A Taste of Texas in West Columbia, TX: They've got a patty melt to die for

Hyde's in Poplar Bluff, MO: all you can eat catfish and shrimp. need I say more?

Dock's Knot Inn also in Poplar Bluff: great seafood and steaks

The Purple Cow also in PB: You've never lived until you've had a grape milkshake.

Lambert's in Sykeston, MO: part resturant, part floor show. Down home cooking in generous portion(read that skillet sized). All you can eat side dishes. Bottomless beverages served in 44 oz. trucker mugs. Be prepared to catch the freshest, best tasting dinner rolls you've ever had from halfway across a dining room the size of a football field. On the same token watch out for low flying rolls when moving about.

THIS CABIN-LAD'S GROWN HAGGARD, SO IN THE POT HE GOES AND FROM HIS SKIN WE'LL MAKE A LITTLE DRUM TO BEAT AS WE FIRE HUMAN HEADS FROM CANNONS AT OUR FOES. AND SET THE SEAS ABLAZE WITH BURNING RUM.

• 4 months later...

Two great authentic ethnic restaurants here in Washington, Iowa.

This place I HIGHLY recommend if ANY of you come to Iowa or even remotely close to it! This place has received lots of awards because it's been nominated by patrons and visitors. Rated incredibly high for it's fantastic food and atmosphere. An authentic Italian restaurant and shop, called Dodici's. Seriously, people... it would be a massive shame if you drove by and never stopped. If the restaurant is not open, then the shop is and there is plenty of fantastic local and imported wines, plus the soups are THE best ANYWHERE! Really! I've NEVER had a bad soup. Yet? Nope, no yet. Alessandro is that good! He and his family are from Italy though his wife was orginally from here. So, they opened up Dodici's and it's become such a highly acclaimed place because the food is great and so is the people who keep the place. Lots happens there like wine tasting events, social gatherings, even partakes in the "Slow down and Savor" event that takes place in Washington only twice a year! I have NEVER had a bad experience there nor bad food! It's the best!

Another authentic place is the Casa la Grande. It's owned and run by a Mexican family. And they prepare the food fabulously. Real Mexican, not this Mexican-American stuff that's heavily seasoned and all. This is the real deal!

And of course, if any of you have been to the Amanas near Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, that's a fantastic place for great German faire! Colony Inn is the best for a breakfast served family style. And the Ox Yoke Inn is THE best for great German entrees served family style. German potato salad is the best! As Rachel Ray would say ... "Delish!" And even for some of you who my recall... cottage cheese and chives! yes, chives in the cottage cheese! it's fabulous! very flavorful!

I could go on and on about a lot of the restaurants around Iowa. So many of them that are fantastic it deserves it's own thread! Jonesy's near Urbana, Linn Street Cafe in Iowa City (my cousin Frankie's restaurant), John's Shamrock BBQ in Ainsworth, Bryn Mawr between Washington and Columbus Junction, Ced-Rel near Cedar Rapids, The Cheese Factory in Kalona (BEST cheese curds!)...

Oh! and I MUST make mention of Simply Divine in downtown Cedar Rapids. My good friend Pete, she has some of THE most delightful candies, from childhood favs to the best truffles of assorted flavors with NO preservatives or additives. Especially the alcoholic ones! the After 8 and Grasshopper are one of my favs but the best one I had was the Mimosa. These are HUGE truffles, too! The person who makes them are out of Eu Claire, WI.

Ok.. done with my ranting and raving. :unsure:

But, seriously.... check out some of these places. As I tell my neices and nephew, I shall NEVER steer you wrong with food!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

http://clawsonsrestaurant.com/

Clawsons 1905 Restaurant in Beaufort, NC

Great place, casual... Wood floors, bare red brick walls, dark wood booths.

I recommend their Seafood Bisque, A must have.

And if you're a chocoholic, the Death by Chocolate will do you in for sure.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I be a plain man...bacon, eggs, and that...that be why, when me ship comes into the Old Dominion, I favor Chownings...good simple food, such as a hot and filling potato and leek soup...oh, and they got something called Rum Cream Pie...

My favorite dining spot in the world is Shields' Tavern at Colonial Williamsburg. Oh, to slip into the cool, dark basement there, especially on a sultry night, amidst the wine racks, and sip a Punch Royale! Then, if one is truly blessed, "Mr. Shields" himself will make an appearance to welcome his guests, and perhaps join your table to talk of news of the day...

Magical!

Damn, thats sharp!

If that means "kim chee"...my father told me horror stories about the stuff from when he was in Korea...

My wife is from Korea so we spend a fair amount of time in "Little Korea" (Annandale, VA).

Do you like 소주 ?

Damn, thats sharp!

If that means "kim chee"...my father told me horror stories about the stuff from when he was in Korea...

Do you like 소주 ?

:::gags; horrid face; chokes; etc::: oh, GOD! Bob, those horror stories... whatever they are... UGH! It's god-awful horrific stuff! Tastes like puke, looks like guts and blood, and smells S***! I still cannot understand how people really can fancy that stuff! UGH!!! OK, I need a bath now after just thinking about it.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!