Font Encoding

Sjöröveren

There is something going on with character encoding, as of this morning. When I logged on this morning, the 2 ö's (lower case "o" with 2 dots above it) in my user name had been replaced with �'s (a diamond with a question mark in the middle.) I was using Safari as my browser, so I tried to take a look at my profile using Firefox, but I couldn't log in (I am always logged on Safari) Firefox doesn't recognize either the ö or the � during log-in, so I can't log in at all using Firefox. I thought that this might be a Mac problem, so I tried logging on with my Windows XP laptop. Same thing pretty much. IE 7 (7.0.5730.13, if that matters) shows the ö as 2 horizontal lines, one atop the other. So the problem doesn't seem to come from the browser or the character encoding being used, or either operating system. And since this was all working fine yesterday, I have to suspect something with the board.

Edited by Sjöröveren

And now that I can read my last post, I am even more confused, since both the ö and the � characters show up the way I entered them, so that would suggest that the problem is deeper than just the character encoding. I've also tried the Windows machine again. I'm already logged in using Firefox on the Windows laptop, but my name shows up with the � character instead of the ö. But when I try logging in using IE7, there's another problem. It recognizes my name as a previously used log-in, so it automatically fills in my user name and my password, which has not been changed. But it says that the username or password is incorrect. So the problem still seems to point to the board being able to recognize the ö character.

Many times I have cursed the day that I ever chose a user name with such unusual markings, but today is the worst of all. I wonder if it is possible to change it to just plain "Sjorovaren"?

Sorry Sjöröveren, Silkie - When we migrated over, the software defaulted to UTF-8 font encoding from ISO 8859-1 font encoding. I didn't think anything about it at the time, but it should be fixed now.

Seems to be correct now! Although the characters in my original entry now look all garbled. That's just a curiosity though, not a problem. Thanks Stynky!

Yep the only way to fix that is to either, 1) switch back to UTF-8 or 2) go back in an re-edit your post with the appropriate punctuation. Option 1) isn't going to happen and unless you want to do it, option 2) isn't very likely. I think the important thing is fixed - you can loggin.