PIP Changes, Update and New Information

Spike

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry that you are under the weather, Captain. Get well, lest I fetch Mission to surgeon all over you. Perhaps a good bleeding is in order. Get well!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Dammit Sterling .... Sick again? Harlotry will get you in trubble ever'time.

I do agree that a good bleedin' is probly warranted.

Either that or he didn't wash properly after caring for ROBBIE.

Well Capt. Spike if'n the Boners ..... errrr ........ BONIES wanna raid me place y'all will have ta come up US 27 ta Kissimmee ......

Real life gets in the way, I'm now a qualified bus driver for the Mouse .... My continued trainin' and the conversion to full time have caused the formerly approved time off ta be cancelled. So this is my official cancellation for PiP this year. Hurts my feelins' I had a great time at Hampton in June an' that's the last time I been out, for CW or Pyratical stuff.

However, I will soon be in a position ta loot an' plunder me guests as Capt. of me own land yachts.

Just call me Capt. Cramden!! YoHo!

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

Dammit Sterling .... Sick again? Harlotry will get you in trubble ever'time.

I do agree that a good bleedin' is probly warranted.

Either that or he didn't wash properly after caring for ROBBIE.

Well Capt. Spike if'n the Boners ..... errrr ........ BONIES wanna raid me place y'all will have ta come up US 27 ta Kissimmee ......

Real life gets in the way, I'm now a qualified bus driver for the Mouse .... My continued trainin' and the conversion to full time have caused the formerly approved time off ta be cancelled. So this is my official cancellation for PiP this year. Hurts my feelins' I had a great time at Hampton in June an' that's the last time I been out, for CW or Pyratical stuff.

However, I will soon be in a position ta loot an' plunder me guests as Capt. of me own land yachts.

Just call me Capt. Cramden!! YoHo!

NNNOOOO curse yee! I was gonna buy stuffs from ya! NOW WHO WILL TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!....i hear Hawkyns sells stuff...........and a speedy recovery to the good Captain Sterling......you know i never trust those Physicians...a good leech will set yee right......

Edited by Cross

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

The military practice of priming first from the paper cartridge always struck me as dangerous, as you are then pouring the remaining powder in the cartridge into a primed barrel, which always seemed to me as an accident just waiting to happen, and I have never felt comfortable about it. I have seen people get in a hurry and accidentally go to full-cock instead of half cock when priming. A sensitive trigger under that situation is a recipe for disaster. I ALWAYS prime after loading. Priming first was a military expedient in the old days, but I strongly disagree with the practice nowadays.

>>>> Cascabel

I agree with you there Cascabel, it is dangerous to load a primed weapon. We make it our practice to load the barrel and then prime the piece.

Well, here I'll disagree with you, gentlemen. I've been following military drill with both my matchlock and my Bess for 25 years. When priming from the cartridge on the Bess, you are never sure if you have left enough powder in the cartridge to properly prime. With the matchlock, handling powder in one hand and lit match in the other, cleaning and priming the pan first, before casting about makes much more sense.

The way I figure it, the people who used these things for real knew what they were doing and why. I'm happy to follow the original manuals of arms.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Must agree with Hawkyns here...after thirty five years of handling paper cartridges and following period military drills, I have never come across a problem by priming first. If a trigger is that sensitive as to go off whilst loading, than I would wager that the half cock or dog is not working properly and such a piece should never have been passed by the safety inspectors in the first place. Also whilst loading, the shooter should be aware of where the muzzle of his piece is pointing, even if he is careless enough NOT to engage his safety...this is just basic shooting safety.

And not to milk the marine that had the accident at Hampton, from what he told my lieutenant, he had more than one cartridge in hand at the time...the one he was trying to load and an extra...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

The military practice of priming first from the paper cartridge always struck me as dangerous, as you are then pouring the remaining powder in the cartridge into a primed barrel, which always seemed to me as an accident just waiting to happen, and I have never felt comfortable about it. I have seen people get in a hurry and accidentally go to full-cock instead of half cock when priming. A sensitive trigger under that situation is a recipe for disaster. I ALWAYS prime after loading. Priming first was a military expedient in the old days, but I strongly disagree with the practice nowadays.

>>>> Cascabel

I agree with you there Cascabel, it is dangerous to load a primed weapon. We make it our practice to load the barrel and then prime the piece.

Well, here I'll disagree with you, gentlemen. I've been following military drill with both my matchlock and my Bess for 25 years. When priming from the cartridge on the Bess, you are never sure if you have left enough powder in the cartridge to properly prime. With the matchlock, handling powder in one hand and lit match in the other, cleaning and priming the pan first, before casting about makes much more sense.

The way I figure it, the people who used these things for real knew what they were doing and why. I'm happy to follow the original manuals of arms.

Hawkyns

As in the case of the matchlock ,prime first then cast about to load. If your pan cover is tight there are little worries. As the matchlock has a bulit in safety (an empty serpentine) there is little worry of the weapon going off as could be the case with a flint ignited weapon. In my 23 years I have never had an issue with the standard manual of arms loading procedures.....now hang fires are a whole nother story....rolleyes.gif

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

Dear Capt. Sterling, I'm sad to hear you are in ill health. Them sawbones seem to do a lot of head scratchin' for what they charge! I just wish you a very speedy recovery with a mild case of what ever you have. I hope you will feel better soon enough to be at PiP. Sincerely Capn'Rob aka Dutch of the "Meka"II

Hmmm what is this world coming to? Pirates extending well wishes to a pyrate hunter...ye all hate me, but where would ye be without me? :(

Thanks to all, yer kind wishes are very much appreciated....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Feelings mutual I am sure..with a few exceptions... but very few...

Crewe of the Archangel

Hmmm what is this world coming to? Pirates extending well wishes to a pyrate hunter...ye all hate me, but where would ye be without me? :(

Thanks to all, yer kind wishes are very much appreciated....

Aye, indeed what is the world comin to.......Well we want ye to be in excellent health for another good hanging Cappy! Oi and hate is such a strong word and such bad tonic. Not Nigel has said it best. But I would be lost without such a fine nemesis as you looking to stretch me own neck. Aye, get well and be well. For even a Pyrat hunter is looked upon fondly by the sort that places their heads in this here Pub.

>>>> Cascabel

Hawkyns

I"m with Hawkyns on this. Loading and priming is fine if you are hunting and have all the time in the world but it is ungainly when using a cartridge in a battle. I had someone at the last PiP explain how he loads first, making sure to save enough powder for the prime. If he has too much for the prime then the remaining amount goes down the barrel. This negates the advantage of loading first.

Even using a cartridge and priming flask slows things down and adds steps. The more steps the longer it takes to load and the more likely you will get rushed and do something wrong.

Also, if you do it right, you have the muzzle pointed up at something like a 60 degree angle so that even if it goes off, it will not hit anyone. You should also be keeping your hand away from the muzzle. Add in a hammerstall and loading military style should be perfectly safe.

Mark

As in the case of the matchlock ,prime first then cast about to load. If your pan cover is tight there are little worries. As the matchlock has a bulit in safety (an empty serpentine) there is little worry of the weapon going off as could be the case with a flint ignited weapon. In my 23 years I have never had an issue with the standard manual of arms loading procedures.....now hang fires are a whole nother story....rolleyes.gif

I can make a strong case that matchlocks are much safer to prime first. One of the most common accident with a matchlock is not noticing a hot coal lurking in the priming pan (I've seen it happen to two experienced musketeers). If that happens, the last thing that you want is a charge in the barrel.

Mark