PIP Changes, Update and New Information

Spike

Well you couldn't carry swords into town last year... I guess we can thank the local police for that not the new park staff....

As to the other changes... before everyone gets on here and starts guessing, let Fayma explain but Red Jessi, pretty good on your end... Aye tis the new park staff and the amount of campers that have required most of the changes...one point for example... a bit more difficult to fit 150 campers into the same spot that only what,40(?) fit in last year.. and aye, we don't have enough room as it is, as well as trees to work around and one area now being closed off due to new plantings by the park...but with the footprints we hope to get more. In order to give as many folks as possible the opportunity to camp, you just can't allow folks to set up where ever they feel like it or they just won't fit.

The changes are there to help with the growth of the event as well... and what is that to us? From everything I've read and heard during talks, folks are excited that this event is growing...and hell, most of us have been to big events before so we are used to providing tent footprints and establishing our camps, no big change there. Although perhaps this can be intimidating to folks new to this sort of thing...? Feel free to ask for assistance...most of us have years of experience doing this sort of thing and are happy to help out.

And Pat, there certainly aren't any changes regarding fire pits... even Harry limited them... last year the fire by Edward and Haunting Lily was shared by the Mercury and the Archangel. The Bonies had one and the community fire was by the Hide. The year before that the large community fire was pretty much in the same place, just no Hide..and I don't even recall if there were other fires allowed at all. So technically this has not changed.

And Red Jessi is correct, its the folks we play, work and hang with after hours that really make the event what it will be. Most of us have been to large events before, these new changes aren't anything we haven't had to deal with before...and honestly they actually help to make life less difficult at large events. There is nothing new here that we haven't encountered some place else, and there is nothing new that will inhibit our play or our shining like we always do.

So Fayma will be posting shortly, she has her hands full with getting things organized in order to make the new park staff happy... and remember... the event owners, ie Park Staff aren't happy, we may no longer have their yard to play in...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as this will come off as me being a contrarian (again :D )... Most of the largest event I have been to have been the most relaxed about tent sizes...

In my experience, a new small event starts with few rules, grows to the point where the rules start to over-proliferate... Take a small dip from frustrations over bouncing from one extreme to another.. Grow back to that size in a relaxed matter, and then to outstrip even that number before the dip. I'm not trying to be negative here.. Just stating the facts as I have seen them over the years (both first hand and by second hand accounts).

Is this the peak year before the dip?

On another note... Numbers... Last year there was about 40 campers.. One only has to look at last year's "Roll Call" thread to see that there were over 90 registered. That is over 50% last minute bail out rate. While I hope this year's bail out rate is much lower, if I were a betting man, I would bet the rate will still be in the 40%+ range (as much as I hope I am wrong).

My rather circumventuous manner of saying, time to relax and not make this the "jumping the shark" year... Specially when a great deal of the anxiousness seems to be based on numbers that are likely very overinflated.

Michael_banner.jpg

Remember when we were all whining about wanting more campers and wondering how to grow the event? :D

I agree that strictures will probably settle down after this year. Plus I'll bet the event will end up being more more casual than it appears to be if you go only by the things going on in here. It's tough to say that for sure because with Harry gone, we have lost what appeared to me to be a splendidly protective buffer against The Rules. (*shudder* The Rules...) Still, I'm taking a wait and see attitude to the whole thing. If it's gotten overly hidebound and rule-infested this year, I figure I can use that to make future decisions. But it seems like a bad idea to abandon the event just because there is a bit more structure looming on this forum. It has to happen to some degree with the success of the event. We did want the event to be more successful, didn't we?

It will also be interesting to see who actually shows up to take advantage of the camping. PiP seems to be the most touch-and-go event as far as commitments are concerned from what I've seen. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we had less than 150 campers. My bet is that the actually tally will be about 100-125 living in the camping area outside the fort. (Any takers?) I am not including those who camp in the fort as they have their own space. (Unless they've been dumped out of the fort because of repairs and whatnot, in which case 150 is a fair guess.)

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

BTW, I feel this series of posts is OT here, but it is important and, as such, really belongs with PIP Changes, Updates and New Information, so I'm going to move it there later today if there are no objections.

I believe many of us are concerned about this and it deserves the opportunity for open discussion. Otherwise, many of us who are not in what has been described as "the inner circle" may be upset or worried about it.

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

Ok. I hear the concern. Let me be the one to say this, the "changes" are not "changes". These are things that have been in place, although not always strictly enforced. Harry, our wonderful Park Service "buffer" is not here at the park anymore. We have to manage ourselves in a more"organized" way, so that we are even allowed to have PiP. The big reason that I have asked for footprints, is because unlike before, we do NOT have unlimited area, and I was given VERY specific direction from the Park as to where the encampment could be. If we are going to have a problem with space, I can go back to the park "armed" with actual tent sizes and tell them we won't fit, with proof. As to the fires and pits, there have always only been a certain number, but with the increase in participation, now we notice it. We didn't ever hit the "cap" on fires, because we didn't have as many participants. This has been an incredible amount of growth in a short amount of time. Remind me again how many pyrates were there in 2005? Now in 2009, we have almost 140 signed up. Even if we do have some unfortunate cancellations, we are still looking at around 80 or so if the attrition rate holds from previous years. Please also understand, that there are also people who are not on the pub, that also must be counted in the numbers.

I am going to have a series of topics posting that should help to make everyone feel better about things. I have been very busy behind the scene to get everything ready for these topics, so that the information would be accurate and complete.

Many thanks to Sterling and Lily for keeping things going for me while I got us all some answers. As to the "Inner Circle", yes, there has been some off pub discussions, as there are in any event. If anyone would like to be on the "inside", all they need to do is call or pm or email me. I can always use more help, which is what these folks have given.

I DO NOT want PiP to be anything less than the amazing, different festival that it has always been, and with some cooperation and sharing within our pyrate family, I believe in US! Who knows, this may just keep getting better every time, and we can show the Park Service what we are made of, and secure our home for future years.

Look for the new topics...coming up shortly!

Thanks,

Fayma

Hey everyone!

I think there's a lot of overreacting here. For those who've been here only in the last three years, there have always been massive changes in the off season for the seven years prior. The first years, the event was in Marathon, then split between Key West and Marathon. Then there was no encampments, then a few at the Historic Seaport, where the entire festival was. Then it was moved to the beach in 2005 and no one camped, except two of my crewe who hammocked there overnight to watch the vendor booths. All the shooting and battles took place on the beach there.

So it has always been changing. The sword issue only came to a head during the parade because someone pulled one on the crowd. I have always had my sword and gun when I walk the streets of Key West, not only during PiP but other times when I'm down there. I never have a problem with the police. But as soon as we get people who think they can do what they want in town and pretend they don't have to follow the rules is asking for trouble and will ruin it for all of us. Never pull a weapon out in the streets of Key West. It's just common sense, folks. You are all visitors - not locals and not real pirates. If you freak out a tourist and they tell the cops, the cops are going to err on the side of protecting the town's revenue stream - tourists!

The folks camping at the fort don't bring a significant revenue stream to town - not compared the 5,000 people that pour off cruise ships and the people who stay at hotels and inns in the area, do. They spend lots of money compared to us and their interests will always come first.

The fire pits have always been restricted. Nothing new there as others said.

We all need to remember we are using a state park - a place where most of what we do is prohibited by various Florida State laws. That includes drinking, camping there... the list goes on. The fort has been very good to us in allowing us to do what we do there while bending an awful lot of rules. Stop biting the hand that feeds us and learn to live with change. It has been part of this event since it was created 10 years ago. Get over it and roll with it instead.

If you don't like the changes, don't go.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

On another note... Numbers... Last year there was about 40 campers.. One only has to look at last year's "Roll Call" thread to see that there were over 90 registered. That is over 50% last minute bail out rate. While I hope this year's bail out rate is much lower, if I were a betting man, I would bet the rate will still be in the 40%+ range (as much as I hope I am wrong).

Gee Mickey is math so different in Canada than the US?? Take 90 campers and take away 50% ,,,, hmmm gives 45 campers... damn I was off by 5...hence the 40 (?)... gee and I didn't even have to look that up...just counted folks off the top of my head...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Gee Mickey is math so different in Canada than the US?? Take 90 campers and take away 50% ,,,, hmmm gives 45 campers... damn I was off by 5...hence the 40 (?)... gee and I didn't even have to look that up...just counted folks off the top of my head...

I have no interest in arguing math... "Take 90 campers and take away 50%" Yep, that is 45... But if we want to get nit-picky... I think the actual roll call was 96 or something like that... But since I was ball parking numbers, I didn't care to look it up. And still haven't looked it up, as 90-ish is good enough for me.

Hurricane, while the things said in this thread come as as complaining.... I think you are missing the point. People are used to change, although most tend to resist it in one way or another... I think the point is that change should be handled with delicacy not a heavy handed "If you don't like the changes, don't go"...

Many of us travel great distances at great personal expense (and personal expense isn't just money, it is time and other things as well). Whether the fort or the festival is profitable or not... We are working and playing to try to make it so... Do you think addressing volunteers, and not just volunteers, but volunteers that go through great personal expense to help out in such a heavy handed manner? Sorry but if them that are herding the cats can't handle using some mild diplomacy, and appreciative manner of addressing those that help (in any manner), then something is wrong. I don't help with the org, because I know I don't always have the patience to be diplomatic with so many differing personality types... While I know it can be stressful to cat-herd numbers like this, those who have stepped up to the plate need to hold themselves in check... Or find someone with the time, patience and gift for dealing with many differing personality types (which I freely admit is not me).

Michael_banner.jpg

Ok, you guys...some of this might be better discussed via pm or email. It's best to focus on the actual issues at hand...

While I realize changes are inevitable and all that, people are spending a lot of time and money doing this as Michael notes and we love the event we've come to know. Some of us are tried and true Js and we like certainty.

Having trained people on the subject of dealing with change and unknowns, the best solution I've found for such situations is just to put all the info out there that you have, with plenty of caveats to cover the unknown variables. It's always best say that you don't know the answer to something yet rather than ignore questions. (Note: I am not saying anyone has ignored questions or kept info to themselves, because I don't know. However, these are two cardinal rules about what works best with people during times of uncertainty and change from my experience, reading and training sessions.)

For example, it hasn't been until today that the reason for the footprint post has been explained. Let me repeat what Fayma explained...

The big reason that I have asked for footprints, is because unlike before, we do NOT have unlimited area, and I was given VERY specific direction from the Park as to where the encampment could be. If we are going to have a problem with space, I can go back to the park "armed" with actual tent sizes and tell them we won't fit, with proof.

I don't know if Captain Sterling knew this or not (and it's not important at this point), but had this been explained in the first post of the Footprint thread, I believe some of this discussion probably wouldn't be going on right now. Who wouldn't want to cooperate with trying to garner more space for camping?

So please share the info you know when you start explaining some of the changes that are occurring and I think there will be a smooth transition this year.

Edited by Raphael Misson

For example, it hasn't been until today that the reason for the footprint post has been explained. Let me repeat what Fayma explained...

But it was, back in the footprint thread back around Sept. 9 or there about...

Crewe of the Archangel

OK, I'm gonna throw my two cents in here. I really think that folks need to sit back and wait for Fayma's posts. She and Spike are in the thick of, we're not. Some are helping behind the scenes and that is most appreciated. I'm taking a wait and see attitude. As it stands now, I probably won't be there but that doesn't mean I'm not interested it the developments underway. If I can go, I'll have the information I need to plan accordingly. Let's just wait for Fayma's input.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Just for the record, I apologize. All the information had not been put out, and it was my responsibility to do so. I asked for something that I thought was a common request with the footprints to get a jump on the mapping. I did not realize that it was not known as to why I asked for it. Sterling was the messenger, so don't shoot him...at least until PiP...the pyrate hunter that he is... Please pm or email or call me if there are any concerns.

And again, my most humble apologies to all concerned.

Fayma

Hey everyone!

I think there's a lot of overreacting here. For those who've been here only in the last three years, there have always been massive changes in the off season for the seven years prior. The first years, the event was in Marathon, then split between Key West and Marathon. Then there was no encampments, then a few at the Historic Seaport, where the entire festival was. Then it was moved to the beach in 2005 and no one camped, except two of my crewe who hammocked there overnight to watch the vendor booths. All the shooting and battles took place on the beach there.

So it has always been changing. The sword issue only came to a head during the parade because someone pulled one on the crowd. I have always had my sword and gun when I walk the streets of Key West, not only during PiP but other times when I'm down there. I never have a problem with the police. But as soon as we get people who think they can do what they want in town and pretend they don't have to follow the rules is asking for trouble and will ruin it for all of us. Never pull a weapon out in the streets of Key West. It's just common sense, folks. You are all visitors - not locals and not real pirates. If you freak out a tourist and they tell the cops, the cops are going to err on the side of protecting the town's revenue stream - tourists!

The folks camping at the fort don't bring a significant revenue stream to town - not compared the 5,000 people that pour off cruise ships and the people who stay at hotels and inns in the area, do. They spend lots of money compared to us and their interests will always come first.

The fire pits have always been restricted. Nothing new there as others said.

We all need to remember we are using a state park - a place where most of what we do is prohibited by various Florida State laws. That includes drinking, camping there... the list goes on. The fort has been very good to us in allowing us to do what we do there while bending an awful lot of rules. Stop biting the hand that feeds us and learn to live with change. It has been part of this event since it was created 10 years ago. Get over it and roll with it instead.

Every event has changes. This year, the Pirate Gathering in St. Augustine is charging every re-enactor (the people who make the event worth attending) $60 to attend the event and camp. It's non-negotiable. No one was asked. That's just the way it is. So, our crewe said, no way, we're not doling out $600 for 10 of us to camp. Not worth it to us. Don't mean to sound heavy handed. But this event isn't ours - never was. The non-fort events (Pirates in Paradise) belongs to Julie McEnroe of the Schooner WOLF - the Fort Fest belongs to the BiBs. They are all doing their best within the rules that seem to be ever changing. And they have done one helluva job over the last 10 years keeping this event going, long before it became a re-enactor haven.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Fayma, you need not apologize. You have put out the information as it has become available. Unless I'm mistaken, you can't pull info out your arse that you don't have. It's not your fault that some have become impatient and critical.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I think the most helpful thing at this juncture would be for everyone to do some reality checking. Here are my thoughts towards that:

1. We are a large group of people who have diverse conversational styles, attitudes, and reactions to stress/anxiety who are communicating in a manner in which we are losing a great deal of actual communicative cues (body language, tone of voice, rate and rhythm of speech, facial expression - no, emoticons do not count!). This means miscommunication is a great risk. The problem is that once one person feels slighted, they react to that whether offense was intended or not - and there we have the snowball rolling down the mountain side and growing bigger as she goes.

2. Compounding the above, there is a large event that has recently changed management (and therefore management styles to at least some extent) that is being organized involving all the personalities.

3. All those personalities are personally invested in some way, shape or form in the success of any number of variables surrounding said event. (We all care)

Is it any wonder that people are getting snappish, really? I think not.

HOWEVER, what I think everyone needs to remember is that whatever changes are occurring, they are not being done maliciously to make the event less fun for someone. The decisions being made are not wrought by a mysterious cabal and those expressing opinions that differ from that group are not nefarious nay-sayers out to impose anarchy and discord. At the end of the day we all want the same thing: A successful, fun, safe event that we can all enjoy and take another batch of great memories from. Creating warring factions despite the fact that we all have the same goal is the epitome of counter productive.

So, instead, let me suggest this: If you are worried about the rules - ask for clarification. Ask why you are not allowed to carry a sword in town, rather than assume someone twisted a thin mustache and hissed "This will RUIN EVERYTHING! MWAhahAhahahA!!!" If you are concerned about being excluded from a group - planning or otherwise - reach out and ask to be included rather than assume you are being vindictively prohibited. And If there is someone you have a personal history of communication difficulties with...let it lie. Accept that you have different styles, that one is not more right or more wrong than the other - but that for whatever reason you push each others buttons needlessly and that you should stop before it gets any further out of hand.

(edited because "bath" is not the same as "batch")

Edited by RedJessi

I think the most helpful thing at this juncture would be for everyone to do some reality checking. Here are my thoughts towards that:

1. We are a large group of people who have diverse conversational styles, attitudes, and reactions to stress/anxiety who are communicating in a manner in which we are losing a great deal of actual communicative cues (body language, tone of voice, rate and rhythm of speech, facial expression - no, emoticons do not count!). This means miscommunication is a great risk. The problem is that once one person feels slighted, they react to that whether offense was intended or not - and there we have the snowball rolling down the mountain side and growing bigger as she goes.

2. Compounding the above, there is a large event that has recently changed management (and therefore management styles to at least some extent) that is being organized involving all the personalities.

3. All those personalities are personally invested in some way, shape or form in the success of any number of variables surrounding said event. (We all care)

Is it any wonder that people are getting snappish, really? I think not.

HOWEVER, what I think everyone needs to remember is that whatever changes are occurring, they are not being done maliciously to make the event less fun for someone. The decisions being made are not wrought by a mysterious cabal and those expressing opinions that differ from that group are not nefarious nay-sayers out to impose anarchy and discord. At the end of the day we all want the same thing: A successful, fun, safe event that we can all enjoy and take another batch of great memories from. Creating warring factions despite the fact that we all have the same goal is the epitome of counter productive.

So, instead, let me suggest this: If you are worried about the rules - ask for clarification. Ask why you are not allowed to carry a sword in town, rather than assume someone twisted a thin mustache and hissed "This will RUIN EVERYTHING! MWAhahAhahahA!!!" If you are concerned about being excluded from a group - planning or otherwise - reach out and ask to be included rather than assume you are being vindictively prohibited. And If there is someone you have a personal history of communication difficulties with...let it lie. Accept that you have different styles, that one is not more right or more wrong than the other - but that for whatever reason you push each others buttons needlessly and that you should stop before it gets any further out of hand.

(edited because "bath" is not the same as "batch")

twisting my muostache...MUhahahahMUhahaha...my plan is working puurrrfectly.... :unsure:

Wait...WHAT???....darn you Red Jess...i wouldof gotten away with it too...if it wasnt for those pesky kids and that dog of theirs.... <_<

(picturing Red Jess in a Purple Mini and Mission in a White Sweater with a scarf)..... <_<

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Gee, and here I had pictured myself with a blue collar.

...and Willie Wobble in the green shirt....Animal in the Blue Collar....Spike as Scrappy....and...and....dang...i hate orange!! :unsure:

But you DO enjoy dressing as a woman....

noone ever said...ENJOYED...just CAUGHT...dressing as a woman....theres a difference... <_< ...isnt there? <_<

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

The final Pirates in Paradise schedule is available in a handy four-page version that just lists the events. Note: This is not the Fort Fest schedule - this one covers the events that happen outside of the fort itself.

http://piratesinparadise.com/Festival2009-short.pdf

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Greetings All,

I am really getting excited about the upcoming Fort Taylor Pirate Fest, a part of the Pirates in Paradise Festival. This is our fifth year as part of the event and the tenth anniversary of the Pirates in Paradise Festival. It is also the third year that the Bone Island Buccaneers have been the event organizers. I would like to thank each and every one of you for volunteering your time and efforts to make this event a success. We have had some changes this year in personal at the Fort and their management. So, change is always inevitable. I would also like to say that any changes this year are due to specific rules from the State management. From our point of view, it is still a very relaxed event and we don't want to overload anyone with rules. However, we also want to be specific. We have learned from the past that the more information the reenactors have, the better it will be for all. And in the past, we have always been asked to provide more structure, scheduling and organizing. I hope we can strike that delicate balance.

It is with a heavy heart that we said so long to Harry Smid, after he announced his retirement. His presence in the past 4 years was an amazing positive force to make this such a great event. And I think that truly, it was his vision that got the Fl State Park award. We just put the nuts and bolts together. Master Hairbone is still around in our hearts and we dedicate this year to him and his hard work in building the FTPF.

Once you arrive at the Fort, you will be asked for picture ID, please make sure to bring it. You can then proceed to check-in. You will also get a welcome packet where you will find the Black Powder Safety Rules (they are not guidelines), your parking pass and wooden pog. Please keep this pog on your persona at all times to use for special discounts and access in and out of the Fort and event.

We hope we have made for another enjoyable year. I would like to also give a big thank you to Fayma Callahan for all her organizational help with this events as well as Papa Ratzi and Callahan Digital Arts for another artistic year with posters, postcards and ads. And a big huzzah to Fort Zachary Taylor and the Friends of FT. Thanks to Hugh Callenish for the hot showers. Also thanks to our BIB Quartermaster, Nigel for his hard work every year and this one is no exception. And a big thank you to the Bone Island Buccaneers crewe, Julie McEnroe and Captain Finbar, Captain Sterling. And my biggest thank you of all is to YOU, the great crews and vendors that make up our Pyrat Family. I raise my glass to you all.

Fair Winds and Followin Seas,

Captain Spike

Bone Island Buccaneers

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:

TIPS

Hammocks – Hammocks are allowed within the encampments. They must be taken down each morning before the Park opens and then can be put up again after Park close.

Fires – There are only a few common fire pits that will be allowed. All camps are allowed to use braziers to cook/warm at any time, but they must be attended. Modern camps are allowed gas stoves or braziers and NO open fire pits.

Trash – We will provide plastic bags. Please place all trash into those bags. We will also recycle, all recycle bags are white. We have two scheduled trash pick-ups per day. Please leave trash on back end of tent'encampment during those times and keep them covered during event hours.

CAMP:

Fayma Callahan and Nigel (BIB) will be managing all camp set-up and administration. Please check in with them when you arrive at set-up day. Captains are in charge of the their camps and volunteer lists. Modern camping will be provided in the same area as last year for RV's, campers and modern tents.

Footprint – You will be assigned a campsite area at arrival. We have created these areas in relation to the footprints each of you has provided.

Ice – Daily ice delivery for camping.

Gatorade and water will be available in common coolers at the event. Thank YOU Fayma!

No camp visitors during Guided History Tours.

Showers – There will be outdoor hot showers. Only Dr Brohners Soap products allowed. We will provide it for you, if you do not bring your own.

VENDORS:

Captain Spike and Park Staff are managing all vendor set-up and administration. Power is a bit limited as the Infirmary building is not yet open or powered.

Set-Up – You will be assigned your set-up area by Captain Spike. Set-up date is Wed., Dec 2. 2009.

Area – Our vendor area is larger this year as we have the whole fairgrounds (inside the Fort) available to us again.

Power – Limited areas for power, please keep to a minimum.

Ice – Some ice will be provided to those vendors who are camping.

BATTLES:

Battle Plan will be included in the Welcome Kit and provided in advance to each Captain. Your Captains will provide specific orders on placement and duties for each individual in their crew. Only those who attend BP Safety Demonstration and pass inspection of Park BP specialist, Kip, will given a ribbon and permission to participate in live black powder reenactment.

Volunteers

All participants will be still be treated as State Park volunteers and covered under their insurance and work comp.

Battle

Will be run according to battle plan. Each Captain in charge of the their crewe, Field Commanders noted on the Battle Plan.

Shooters

There will be a safety demonstration each day at 9:30. Kip will approve each shooter. their loads and a demonstration firing. Once completed, they will then be given their ribbons. As usual, Braze and Cascabel will be working with Kip. Constable Heartless and Dutch have offered to help out with the weapons/shooters approval, as well as volunteers from Arch Angel crewe and Searle's Buccaneers. All cannon will need to be approved by Kip also. There will also be another safety demonstration at sunset.

BP Rules

STRICT adherence to BP Safety Rules, as provided by Fort.

Gun Captains responsible for their pieces.

NO drinking prior to BP demonstrations, battles or sunset firing.

NO Loaded Weapons to be see/carried outside of Battle Reenactment.

NO shooters/weapons allowed without ribbon and Kip inspection.

NO powder horns. Loading only from single shot cartridges, paper or brass. Paper ladies will be provided.

Hey everyone!

So it has always been changing..............

-- Hurricane

Hurricane and Everyone on the Thread,

Thank you all for the excellent dialogue. This is exactly what we need in the post-Harry ever changing world of PIP. And Hurricane, thank you for the summary on the change that this event has always gone through. I am happy to be a party to all the changes, past and present. The Bone Island Buccaneers are proud of their part and hope that we can together keep changing together. And thank you Jess for pointing out the fact that whether the changes are perceived good or bad, they are not done so out of any evil intention, except for Not Nigel. Some of these changes came about due to the new management, some from the Park staff, after last years events. I want to thank Lily for getting together a GREAT volunteer list and for all of those who have volunteered. I believe by working together that a very positive impression will be made on those new Park management and staff who have never had the experience of PIP. My recent comments may generate more dialogue and if there are any questions please email me or Fayma. I would be glad to help smooth out any rough spots and the veterans of this event have already offered their expertise.

I don't believe that the changes are introducing anything new into the event. Other than battle placement and plans, nothing has changed. We have an area within the Fort that we must maintain, and this area is now specific. That is the reason for the footprint requests. But again, this is nothing that should be too difficult for those that attended. And as noted, some crewe are used to performing this task for other events. We hope that none of the changes create any hardship for you. It is difficult enough to make this journey and take the time, expense and work that each of you. I appreciate it very much and it is the highlight of my whole Pyrat year. I may share that sentiment with some. And it is you the family that make it successful, make the work and play so wonderful and always give 120% . I salute each of your for that. So, we want to do the best we can for you and by you. I hope you enjoy this year and this becomes a permanent spot on the calender.

Cheers,

Spike