Who is What?

I was talking (well chat texting) Red Wake and wondered who was what part of the crew. He suggested I make a thread with that question, so as everyone could say (my interpretation).

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was more than happy to be a part of the Mercury Crew last year... Although I did the Red Coat thing pretty much exclusively all weekend and wound up fielding with the Archangels because of my chosen role. This year will likely be a lot of the same for me. Camp with the Mercury, field with the "anti-pirate" side with whomever that entails... Although I may make a point of getting out at least one day as a good to honest pirate!

Michael_banner.jpg

All kidding aside...well...not all kidding. After all the 'Captain' of the Mercury is a kind of tongue-in-cheek enigma. It was decided a long time ago that there isn't any captain of the Mercury. Or rather, there is a captain but everyone has a different answer about where he is and why he's never about. At PIP, the 'Captain' is always somewhere else. The proverbial ghost captain.

Me, I'm the Quartermaster.

A few people of the crew have suggested various roles they might play from abs to carpenter. Mission has played his part as the captive doctor as well as it could be played, and has suggested harm to every member of the crew in one form or another under the guise of a healer and with the deadpan of a true re-enactor.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Good Luck William... good to know the mistress and her maid are jumping ship to the Mercury... trying really hard not to laugh now....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

...after all Cheeks you are posting in a Mercury Crewe thread...not a who is what in any crew....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

The reason I am curious . . .

I am thinking of coming down this December, IF I can get into the period camp grounds (and the recently noted 150 people allowed).

As I don't think anyone I am presently attached is coming down, I need a crew and the Mercury folks include many of the people on here I like a lot.

My persona would be a sail/flag maker.

I am slowly looking into what tools I would need and how to abtain them.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

As a former member of the Mercury crew I have a few wordes that I have heard William use that sums the crew up well. "Pyrate pick-up crew". The catch? You have to work on a crew and cooporate with people you have never met. Thus far I have not seen an issue with that but what do I know Sterling has mads an "honest woman" out of Silkie ...who would have thunk it? lol

I am thinking of coming down this December, IF I can get into the period camp grounds (and the recently noted 150 people allowed).

As I don't think anyone I am presently attached is coming down, I need a crew and the Mercury folks include many of the people on here I like a lot.

My persona would be a sail/flag maker.

I am slowly looking into what tools I would need and how to abtain them.

Excellent. A demonstration of such tools and the purposes of them would be a very welcome addition to our crew.

As a former member of the Mercury crew I have a few wordes that I have heard William use that sums the crew up well. "Pyrate pick-up crew".

When did I say that?
I thought it was you ...perhaps I recalled incorrectly, someone at some time in the Ward Room said it. I apologize for putting words into your mouth ...especially when they were already in someone elses! ewwwwww lol Edited by Silkie McDonough

I actually don't like the phrase and I cringe a little every time someone uses it. The crew was formed, not by cast-offs of other crews, but in mutual accord to create a long term presence at the Fort Taylor Pirate Fest. That phrase has a 'dregs' sound to it that isn't fair to those individuals that proudly joined together under our standard. While it is true that we accept new recruits that come from other crews or no crews at all, this acceptance is period. Sailors signed aboard for work where and when they could get it, no matter their past service or previous allegiances.

We are the crew of the Brig Sloop Mercury. Step up and sign aboard.

I actually don't like the phrase and I cringe a little every time someone uses it. The crew was formed, not by cast-offs of other crews, but in mutual accord to create a long term presence at the Fort Taylor Pirate Fest. That phrase has a 'dregs' sound to it that isn't fair to those individuals that proudly joined together under our standard. While it is true that we accept new recruits that come from other crews or no crews at all, this acceptance is period. Sailors signed aboard for work where and when they could get it, no matter their past service or previous allegiances.

We are the crew of the Brig Sloop Mercury. Step up and sign aboard.

My apologies William. I saw no negative connotation to the phrase. I think of a pick-up team as a group of people with similar goals wanting to participate together rather than just watching it all go by. Like someone who likes to play "streetball". I have never been much for sports and guess I didn't know the meaning of the phrase. Again, my apologies to any I have offended. Edited by Silkie McDonough

The Mercury is the only crew I officiously belong to...and that's only because they captured me in late 2007 *cough* 1707. (This means I've been captured for, what, 14 or 15 years? I must not be trying very hard to escape.)

Where's Captain Jim? He's a Mercury guy! (At least, I think, he is...) Patrick, too...although I believe he's defecting to the buccaneer crew this year.

Isn't Iron John one of us? What about RedJessi? Captain Sophia? Silas and crew? These are all people who I believe have said they were part of the Mercury Crew in the PiP forum in the past. Perhaps you should have posted it in the PiP forum where these folks visit more regularly...

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg