Cannon., Go Boom!!!......, Maybe?

HarborMaster

I am having a problem here ..,if anyone can help please advise.

And if Captain Twill and Hawkyns or the Royaliste are reading this..., please advise.

I have a problem :ph34r: For starters let me describe what I have to begin with., my cannon is 30" from end to end. 80% stainless-20% nickel alloy.

A custom made critter done for me by a local foundry from a mold they had gotten.....,somewhere? 7 years ago I had it machines to a 1.750 bore at 23" long..., followed by 1" diameter by 3" more depth. totalling 26" of bore. the 1/8 " fuse hole being at about 25 3/4" .

You have to literally stand the cannon on end to dump BP ., then paper pack., then lower it., and stuff fuse..., this is a hassle ., not correct.,awkward., and has failed on a few occasions due to the fuse..., then it is tough to unload.

Finally.., O.k. I have it at the machinist NOW..., they are taking the 1 3/4 " bore to 26 1/4" this time..., (no-more 1 x 1 chamber we know thats bad) ., question to eliminate fuse..., I would like to light it with a hot stick., but to put BP in touch hole would be tough., so how big should the touch hole be drilled to ? (currently it is 1/8 for a fuse). so that I can pour BP in it easily but without having a hole thats to big.,and wrong.

Also., at new touch hole size would it be advisable to say use a 1/2" drill bit at say 1/8" depth to create a funnel effect for the BP to trickle down filling the touch hole?

Please advise this tired cannoneer. :lol:

HarborMaster

P.S. here are some photos of what we are talking about.,(6 years ago)

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage....asp?id_=7717265

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage....asp?id_=7717255

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage....asp?id_=7717325

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

My tubes have 1/8" vents. I prime with FFFF and don't have any problems getting it down the vent. I prime from a small (50gr) open container, and just make sure I pour carefully. You could probably open the vent up to 5/32", maybe even 3/16" although I wouldn't start by going that large. 3 of my tubes are smooth around the vent area and I don't have a problem piling enough powder there. Of course, I'm firing within 15 degrees of flat trajectory, not the way yours is in the pic. I have one piece, my mortar, that has a small cup around the vent. The barrel wall is 2 1/2" thick at that point. Whether you could countersink something would depend on how thick your breech wall is. Now, I would not just countersink a straight walled hole. I'd use a small reaming mill and just put a bit of a shallow cone there, if you have enough steel.

In the Service of St. Barbara!!

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

YES !!! Mr. Hawkyns..., Sir,

Sounds like I better start with the 5/32 and not the 3/16.., I dont know what they have down at the machine shop for a way to mill a "bowl"., I am thinking a 1/2" drill bit just sinking the tip into the metal..., not any of the 1/2 bits shaft.

The breach end of the Cannon is a 7" diameter and a 1 3/4" bore..,Wall thickness of about 2 5/8" ?

Any way I am appeciative of any suggestions you may have on firing this now that we dont have to stand it up any more to get powder down its length (same bore all the way).

Do you make pre-loads?., a paper ball with powder in it?... what would you do to gain speed and make loading easier?

We will be firing newspaper only no-projectile.

HarborMaster :ph34r:

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"