Rum Cake

michaelsbagley

So I purchased Hatchet Meg's (of the BlackBeard Crew) rum cake cook book at the Hampton festival earlier this month... After hearing so much about how great her cakes were, and after tasting it first hand (she was selling samples at the festival) I had to have the recipe book....

Up until now, I haven't really had the excuse to make one, but later this week, we are having a pot luck at work for Independence Day, so I thought that would be a good excuse to make one. Well I just dragged the wife to the grocery store (against her will) to buy the ingredients we didn't have on hand (most of them), and then raced home to bake the cake (which Kate has lovingly done 99% of the work on)... I can't wait to taste it... But unfortunately I have to wait until Thursday (when the pot luck is)...

For those who have the book (and those who don't, should BUY IT) I decided to make the cake named for Dutch (bbcdutchman), as quite honestly it looked the best to me.... I'll let you all know on Friday just how great of a job the missus did on it. :P

Michael_banner.jpg

Who needs an excuse to make cake?

...but if you need one, I know of an event coming up where there will be a lady who likes cake....

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

I must also commend Hatchet Meg on her rum-fully delicious cakes. Were I more solvent (on most pressing problem at the moment), I would have most definitely bought one of her books. Suffice it to say, those who know me know I don't cook. However, I am inspired to by her fantastic rum cakes (particularly the one named after Silkie).

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

These were indeed quite tasty at blackbeards.....she even put me to work, and paid me not but with rum cakes( im sure you all have marcus hook pamphlets form me).....

...but if you need one, I know of an event coming up where there will be a lady who likes cake....

....... Lady Brower and i seem to be of a like mind, for i too know of and event comming up...with people...that like.....cake........im sure black john even likes cake...and bacon

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

but why spoil good rum by putting it in cake?!?!?!?

:lol:

Well... I guess one could save the good rum, and use the "bad" rum for the cake...

Which is EXACTLY what we did... Good rum is RARE in Ohio, most grocery stores only carry the "diluted" alcohols (aroun 20% alcohol), which is just sad... The better stuff can be gotten at some "State" Stores, but they are all out of the way and inconvenient to get to... :lol:

Michael_banner.jpg

Interesting. I find the various state and local laws governing alcohol sales to be very interesting. How does that compare to Canada?

In Canada it is by Province... In Ontario, one has to go to a specialized store for beer or other alcohols, and there are only two chains of any note, "The Beer Store" (guess what they specialize in?) or the "LCBO" stores (government owened, LCBO = Liquor Control Board of Ontario), which is where wine and hard liquers are sold (and more exotic imported or microbrewery beers). There is a smaller chain called "The Wine Rack" which sells wine only, that can be found in some malls... No alcohol is "dilluted" in Ontario (that I have seen), and the stores tend to be found regularly enough and in convenient enough locations as to not be a real problem. Quebec sells beer and wine in convenience stores and grocery stores, but I don't recall where to get hard liquer in Quebec.... I believe Manitoba's laws are very similar to Ontario's... Haven't travelled enough to the other provinces to rightly remember the other provinces situations.

For those who are interested, the LCBO is one of the Ontario Government's BEST money makers... Although there were strong talks about privatization at the time I was moving to Ohio from Canada, and I never bothered to follow up on how that ended.

Michael_banner.jpg

In Canada it is by Province...

Whodathunkit!

Here in Maryland most counties follow the same rules. No alcohol sales except in liquor stores, which can sell any type of alcoholic beverage. However, at least one county went the other direction, with the county owned liquor stores. The county owned stores are of two types. Basically, one type sells hard liquor, the other beer and wine. More or less. It gets a little arcane when you start delving into the rules and regs. Which makes it even more fascinating!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I have an excuse. The Pirate Brethren's mail list celebrates its 10th birthday today!

It's also Canada Day (think 4th of July, but in another country)... :lol:

Oh, I almost forgot... Congratulations on being the longest standing Pirate Re-enactor groups I have encountered!

Michael_banner.jpg

Oh! the fourth of July is the Lady Brower and Flintlock John's wedding anniversary! Another excellent "excuse" for cake.... Yum....

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

I have an excuse. The Pirate Brethren's mail list celebrates its 10th birthday today!

It's also Canada Day (think 4th of July, but in another country)... :lol:

Oh, I almost forgot... Congratulations on being the longest standing Pirate Re-enactor groups I have encountered!

Thanks!

And here's to Canada!

A lovely country!

And here's to rum!

In all it's forms!

In cake!

Drizzled over bacon!

etc!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Funny story about rum cake. This happened about 5 years ago still funny to me.

In my circle of friends our friend John every celebration or BBQ he would bring Rum Cake. There we sword fighting to get the last piece, he doesn't skimp on the rum. This Labor Day BBQ, he made a confession, well this rum cake has a little rum because I ran out by sampling to make sure its good for the cake. We gave him all kinds of grief because of "lack of rum cake" we called it. Someone from the BBQ tastes it and says" I can't eat anymore it has too much rum." Yet we spent a good hour tormenting John for not putting enough in.

Moral of the story make sure when you make rum cake and the usual sampling the rum(which is not hard to do), to put at least some in the cake :angry:

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!

What timing! I am searching for a good recipe for rum cake. How can I get a hold of this recipe book? Or does someone here have a good recipe they would be willing to share?

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.

3660251270_1501aa649b.jpg

Nuther funny story re: run cake.

When i were married the first time, we brought back 'overproof' rum from Jamaica, warranted to be at least 180 proof.

She made a rum cake shortly after that for a (new) family getogether and used that as the rum, aye, an liberally used it.

All my young nephews and nieces LOVED it ( ages 7 and under) so much, they started sneaking into the pantry to take more, with the result that all of them were good'n plastered.

New family rule - no rum cake for the wee ones!

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

What timing! I am searching for a good recipe for rum cake. How can I get a hold of this recipe book? Or does someone here have a good recipe they would be willing to share?

I don't have her contact info.... But I can reach her through another social network we are both on and ask her... It will likely take a day or two, but I will try and get back to you on the book. Or perhaps maybe Dutch or one of the other crew members that posts here occasionally will see this and respond.

Michael_banner.jpg

hey mates, I've been out for a day or two. sorry. i have a call in to hatchet meg about posting her info. in the meantime, if anyone is interested, pm me your info and i'll have her contact you.

-dutch

Well she was quick in getting back to me! Which is really cool considering the long weekend and all...

The book you have was made special for the Festival. It was just a precopy. The books are being printed as we speak and will be available soon at www.outskirtspress.com/hatchetmegs. Not sure of the exact date as i am waiting to hear back from the publisher. Once I have the date I will be announcing it on........and I have an add in Pyrates Way Magazine.

Well that say it all!

Michael_banner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

eh, they are ok i guess. we usually had one every sunday on the Luna site for taste testing while the book was being written. there were a few duds but we were compelled to eat them anyhow. YEAH OK. so the truth is we gave hatchet meg all sorts of grief if she did not show with one. What was fun was being around while some were being mixed. There were many polluted pirates who never had a drop of rum. huzzah for hatchet megs rum cakes.

• 4 months later...

I made the Sealkie's Rum cake for PiP ...I came home with half of it. Honestly I didn't think it was as good as the one Meg made even though I made it with her recipe ...maybe it was because she did all the work before. lol It was still good but lost something in transportation. hehe