Sutlering at PiP

Hawkyns

Now that the East Coast Reenactorfest has been cancelled, I'm considering bringing the store to PiP. But I have a question. Are there period merchants in the fort with the period camps? We do a period store, only period merchandise in a period pavillion. Obviously, we are geared to selling to the reenactor, not the public. Is this sort of thing worth considering, or should I scrap the idea now?

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Now that the East Coast Reenactorfest has been cancelled, I'm considering bringing the store to PiP. But I have a question. Are there period merchants in the fort with the period camps? We do a period store, only period merchandise in a period pavillion. Obviously, we are geared to selling to the reenactor, not the public. Is this sort of thing worth considering, or should I scrap the idea now?

There were two last year, both members of the forum. One is Greg of Weeping Heart Trading Company and the other is Sutler John of...Sutler John's. There was also a cool journal-making store. You can see photos of some of the vendor on this web page of my surgeon's journal.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Hey Hawkins, one thing of note...

The re-enactors are almost all down on the beach (and may all be on the beach this year), the vendors are all inside the fort (both historical focussed and fun focussed). Not sure if that matters to you or not, but you did mention in your post about the vendors near the camps, and thought it might be worth pointing out to you that it is not the case.

Wait, Re-enactorFest east was cancelled? That's too bad, while I wasn't going to go, I do know a fair amount of folks that will be put out because of that.

Michael_banner.jpg

The goal of the vendors inside the fort is to sell period wares in a period environment. It's not quite there yet. There were several vendors selling period gear there last year. In addition to Sutler John there was a general store of wares, a great tailor and a few other less period vendors as noted, such as the journal store.

The re-enactors do buy there - I know I spent quite a bit on stuff there. It's one of the few opportunities in Florida (outside of the extremely awesome Alafia River Rendezvous (http://www.floridafrontiersmen.org/Alafia.html) to shop for really good stuff for our kits.

While the re-enactors are out on the beach, they do come into the fort. And if they don't, then they're missing some very good provisioners. And you may be surprised what the casual PiP goer buys there. Always amazes me.

Spike can give you the complete 411 on this year's vendor plans.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Is this sort of thing worth considering, or should I scrap the idea now?

Hawkyns

It's been the long term hope of the attending pirates and the planners at the fort to have more vendors selling material goods specific to the period theme. I for one would welcome another period sutler.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

OK, let me ask a couple of questions. One, the tavern that I've seen pictures of for after the public leaves- is that in the same area of the fort as the sutlers? Two, are sutlers allowed to camp in their booths? Three, what sort of food options are there for sutlers who do live in their booths( since I assume no cooking fires would be allowed in the fort)?

Hawkyns

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

The Tavern is inside the fort, unless they've changed it from last year.

Unless something has changed, sutlers are allowed to camp in the fort.

They usually have a food vendor with a good variety inside the fort.

That said, I would still watch for Spike's announcements coming up in July for any changes and specifics.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Mr Hawkins,

The tavern is inside the fort, in one the casemates.

There were a couple of food vendors in the fort.

Unless something changes this year, we are allowed to camp in our tents. We can cook our food in the fort, as I recall there were a few well protected open fires in the fort last year.

I personally don't like open fires on sutler row, for obvious safety reasons. Not everyone will be 100% safe all the time. That's why when I prepare food on the row I use a propane camp stove, that I keep out of sight when open for business.

That is my 2 cents from personal experience, I will defer to Capt. Hurricane's advice on this, Capt. Spike should be consulted so as to get the info from the "Horse's Mouth" (?) .......... so to speak

To get a better idea of the parade ground layout, I would suggest, as did Mission, that you refer to the photos in his link a few posts back.

Even when we do CW days in Feb. the re-enactors camp on the beach and we as sutlers are closer to the fort.

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

Fires in the fort have been standard in the past. Last year, we had a fire and the Callahans had a fire so we could cook in the fort. It was no problem and we used the wood the fort provided. Again, Spike is the expert on all this with Harry's departure.

Here's a good shot too by the Callahans:

F001DSC_2328%20PIP-1.JPG

SNA002PICT0259-1.JPG

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Reenactorfest East cancelled, hmmm, why am I not surprised? Any way... IF we have access to the fort...if not all will be on the beach this year...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Between my old eyes and the tiny type on this LCD screen, I thought I was opening a topic titled Suffering at PIP! :blink:

The reason I always try to switch my posts to BOLD!!! The fine type is so friggin' hard to read on my laptop on the new version of the Pub

Between my old eyes and the tiny type on this LCD screen, I thought I was opening a topic titled Suffering at PIP! :angry:

Will_work_for_drink_small.jpg

(The pub is closed. Suffered, we have.)

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hawkyns

Hello Hawkyns,

1 - Yes the tavern is inside the Fort and available to the public during the day and reenactors in the evening.

2 - Yes Sutlers are allowed to camp in their boots. We have several who have done so.

3 - We intend to have a few different food vendors, this will be operated a bit differently than last year. We will also have a free dinner on Sat and Sun for reenactors and vendors.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions. As soon as the FOFT have their web site updated, we will have vendor and reenactor applications available.

Thanks,

Captain Spike

• 1 month later...

Hey Spike, anything new? I checked the Friends page but didn't see anything. I also sent you a PM.

Hawkyns

Hello Hawkyns,

1 - Yes the tavern is inside the Fort and available to the public during the day and reenactors in the evening.

2 - Yes Sutlers are allowed to camp in their boots. We have several who have done so.

3 - We intend to have a few different food vendors, this will be operated a bit differently than last year. We will also have a free dinner on Sat and Sun for reenactors and vendors.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions. As soon as the FOFT have their web site updated, we will have vendor and reenactor applications available.

Thanks,

Captain Spike

rod_21.jpg

We will be posting all of the needed forms and current information here shortly. We will have the updated forms with mailing information etc. available from links on the Friends page and also here on the pub. There will also be site maps that will show the areas that everyone is talking about, and we will be asking for tent footprints so everyone will have enough space. Looking forward to seeing you all at PiP!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, still waiting for the forms and info, but a couple of quick questions as I try and figure out if thsi is really going to work. Is there a sutlering fee? How much? Is it neccesary to set up for the entire festival?

Thanks, All

Hawkyns

rod_21.jpg

Still nailing this down...

Hawkyns, please see pm...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

• 1 month later...

Please don't quote me on this one but I think the vendors app deadline is the same as reenactors. Nov 1st. Spike is handling the vendors this year so I would contact him asap. spikekeywest@yahoo.com

Good luck

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

My registration goes out today. It would have gone out a couple of weeks ago, until I read the part about insurance required. Took a bit to get that set up properly.

Hawkyns

rod_21.jpg

Island Cutter please see your pms. Thanks

Crewe of the Archangel