Dorset Buttons

..... With all of that why wouldn't dorset buttons, purchased by a wealthy owner of an inn, be made with cotton thread?

It all comes down to economics, Silkie. In the book, "The Persecution of Huguenots & French Economic Development 1680-1720", by Warren C. Scoville.

The book states the by the late 1680s, both England and Holland were doing a great deal of domestic manufacturing and with the high tariffs walls protected their producers from French competition. Also, there were sumptuary laws against the use of cotton during this time.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

...And Michaels arts and crafts now sells linen embroidery floss. =) If ye have one nearby it's great. one skein makes quite a few buttons...

Oh, and I got my ego boosted this weekend when my buttons were complimented. =)

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

The book states the by the late 1680s, both England and Holland were doing a great deal of domestic manufacturing and with the high tariffs walls protected their producers from French competition. Also, there were sumptuary laws against the use of cotton during this time.
let me start with I'm going to get the linen. Let me add that the laws are guidlines with which a business woman is to run her establishment. That having been said I feel that I should point out the fact that "The Sealkies Hide" Deals with any who have the coin to spend. She is not beyond dealing with those in the black market.

...And Michaels arts and crafts now sells linen embroidery floss. =) If ye have one nearby it's great. one skein makes quite a few buttons...

Oh, and I got my ego boosted this weekend when my buttons were complimented. =)

darn right you were complemented! even the so called"ugly ones near the top" were bloody great! keep up the good work m' lady!

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

I used three strands as well. more than that made it too bulky and icky.

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

This is for Fionn. The linen will do. As you said even after waxing the snot out of it it is still tough to use. On the up side my linen dorset butons won't look new for long. lol Maybe I will wait until my hands are nice and dirty before sew them on. lol

I just picked up Cabone rings from WalMart (ugh) but they were quite cheep, 1.96 for the package and they came with thirty small ones (13 mm) and 15 large ones (20 mm). They are every so slightly thinner than the drapery rings I bought so I think they may make nicer buttons. =)

Oh, I never posted pics. of the other ones I made? oops. I will do when I get the coat back... I will be making some others for another project out of some silk thread that I "found" in a sewing box I picked up at the antique store (I'll post pictures of that in the thrift store finds or some such). I think they will go on hubby's waistcoat for now, until I get him nicer threads, then the buttons will go on those.

They do get easier the more you do.

I would....if I were happy with them! I've made a total of 10...and they all are ...cough...sick looking. I'm going to ask ye for help Master Roberts when I see thee at Pike. I will be the one with a glass of ale in one hand...swearing like a sailor, and a unmade Dorset button in the other.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

I would....if I were happy with them! I've made a total of 10...and they all are ...cough...sick looking. I'm going to ask ye for help Master Roberts when I see thee at Pike. I will be the one with a glass of ale in one hand...swearing like a sailor, and a unmade Dorset button in the other.

Ahh...Bess must be showing up. :D

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

• 5 months later...

After ignoring this style of button for a long time, I have finally given them a try.

However, as I wanted to use them on a shirt, and I like my shirt buttons very small... I think I may have driven myself insane with these. I also took it a small step in another direction by avoiding the use of any ring. The ring on these is nothing more than thread wrapped around my forming tool (wrapped about 20 times)...

Anyways, here is the picture. I had to use my stupid camera phone so the image is kind of grainy (good camera is still packed away somewhere....)

dorset-buttons.jpg

Michael_banner.jpg

I should probably learn to make these rather than just making up my own patterns.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

GET BETTER CAMERA........ I cant even complain OORR complement 'em mike................they look like they MIGHT be pretty, but eyes be damned i cannot tell...........

Dude, collectively the wife and I have three better cameras... But we are still unpacking. Word to the wise, never move over the holiday season... it just takes too much longer to get everything done. But yes, I will try and take a better picture and post it instead when I get the chance.

Michael_banner.jpg

Dude, collectively the wife and I have three better cameras... But we are still unpacking. Word to the wise, never move over the holiday season... it just takes too much longer to get everything done. But yes, I will try and take a better picture and post it instead when I get the chance.

MOAR BETTER CAMREAS!

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

GET BETTER CAMERA........ I cant even complain OORR complement 'em mike................they look like they MIGHT be pretty, but eyes be damned i cannot tell...........

just like canadians......making excuses....... whats this "mooovviinngg" with your crazy maple syrup mumbo jumbo....i dont know what you think but THIS IS AMERICA............we make chances...........

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

just like canadians......making excuses....... whats this "mooovviinngg" with your crazy maple syrup mumbo jumbo....i dont know what you think but THIS IS AMERICA............we make chances...........

Funny you should mention maple syrup... It didn't survive the move. True story, while moving the box with all the those types of things, the bottom of the box fell out just before I was going to set it on the counter at the new place, and all the glass bottles dropped to the floor... Only the maple syrup bottle broke. All of the other bottles (which included a couple of bottles of rum) did however survive. While I mourn for my maple syrup, I do however have the option of burying my sorrows in some really good rum.

Michael_banner.jpg

.............so you waste maple syrup now too..........your not even good at being canadian....thank god your buttons might be pretty....speaking of pretty buttons..i feel a new thread comming on.........(hope you guys like the new place btw <_<).........

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel