Dorset Buttons

Aye, I'll second that! Very nice. Kudos an' good job. :lol:

Extra ration o' rum for this man.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

A fine job my good man! Very lovely, and quite inspiring. i must say this comes at a good time, for i was looking for a way to close my new waistcoat, but didnt want to buy a ton of pewter buttons(lol expensive to buy 30)

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

Well I took a crack at it today. I used 3/4'' plastic rings from Jo Ann Fabrics and linen thread.

Tell me what you think.

DSCN1453.JPG

hmmmm

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Well I took a crack at it today. I used 3/4'' plastic rings from Jo Ann Fabrics and linen thread.

Tell me what you think.

hmmmm

Uh oh, :blink: I think Sterling's wheels are turning. I'm a little worried. :blink:

I hope they look good enough Capt'n?

A fine job my good man! Very lovely, and quite inspiring. i must say this comes at a good time, for i was looking for a way to close my new waistcoat, but didnt want to buy a ton of pewter buttons(lol expensive to buy 30)

Good! Here is the website I used for directions.

Dorset Button Guide

If that doesn't make any sense Google Dorset buttons and you find other "how to's."

I'm really liking these buttons because they are so much lighter than a pewter button. My new clothes have pewter buttons and they pull quite heavily

on the garment. Almost to the point of annoyance. So I'm really excited to make a bunch of these and to top it off they look great too. Have fun Mr. Tignor

Uh oh, :blink: I think Sterling's wheels are turning. I'm a little worried. :blink:

I hope they look good enough Capt'n?

**heh, heh, heh, **

Knew that would get ye... um... no they look mighty fine fer a first attempt... keep up the good work!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Sterling... ye have some other examples of dorset or other style buttons somewhere? I think ye showed at one point in time (hell if I have the time to search through all those threads) a frock that had a very nice thread button with a most interesting pattern.

Jack... fabulous work, mate! Fabulous work. Ye inspire th' rest of us to give it a go.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm making dorset buttons and they hate me. For some reason, I can't get the spokes centered, when I pull them together in the center, they pull to one side. Is there a trick?

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

I line up the one side as perfect as I can. Then the other side, the one that doesn't line up, I pull and tug on those threads until I get them to line up. I use a needle or a small screw driver to give some leverage. Does that make sense?

Line up your spokes like this.

DSCN1531.JPG

Flip the button over and gather the threads like so. Using the needle to move them into position.

DSCN1534.JPG

Yes you can get them to line up. It takes practice. I'm still getting better at it all the time.

DSCN1535.JPG

I thank you for the helpful photos mr. roberts! I only pray that mine may come out half as well :P

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

Yeah... Mine didn't come out so pretty... the thread I am using is crap which is not helping at all...

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Yeah the linen thread I'm using kinda gets, well all Frayey. ( :( Is that even a word) I have heavily wax mine to keep it looking crisp.

Also I've noticed to, try to keep your backstitches along the spokes even, Don't let them overlap each other and pull them fairly taught.

a word of caution about dorset buttons. THEY"RE ADDICTIVE! I made 100 of them for me silk weskit. then I realized I have to sew 100 button holes..... um btw, sterling- hows that going anyhow?

How's what going???

:P

Crewe of the Archangel

Using cotton will work but as you and I both know it's not PC. (I'm trying not pull this thread into a "Twill" type discussion. We can argue PC'ness of stuff there. This reply is meant for Siklie.) I always try and go, WWCSS. (What Would Capt'n Sterling Say. :( ) and you being part of the Archangel crew I would defer to the good Capt'n.

If you can find silk that would be acceptable. I know linen thread is hard to find but if your going to put that much work into making these buttons wouldn't you prefer to do it right the first time? Anyways just my 2 cents.

My argument would be that Cleopatra wore the finest cotton grown in the Egyptian’s Nile valley. The first spinning wheel was thought to have originated in India about 500 years before Jesus was born. Columbus bumped into a big lump of land and called it America in 1492, he found cotton already growing. Cotton seeds are believed to have been planted in Florida around 1556 and in Virginia in 1607. With all of that why wouldn't dorset buttons, purchased by a wealthy owner of an inn, be made with cotton thread?