Current Doglock Reproductions

Black Jack Butler

I have a problem with my pirate interpretation. I portray a buccaneer of 1670-1680. In looking around for a proper pistol, I find that a doglock would be best. From what I've seen the only ones available are huge monstroseties circa 1640, English Civil War cavalry weapons. Granted that the Queen Anne pistol is available, but that is usually considered to be 1700 and later. I am seeking a piece which would be correctly representative of the period my portrayal represents. I've only found the doglock from Middle Village Trading Company and Loyalist Arms. Are there any ohers available? Are there any older ones, that might be around or available? Thanks.

Black Jack Butler

The only other doglock pistols I have found are beautiful, frightfully expensive custom jobs. John Buck makes some beauties, as does Tattershall Arms. I also saw one by Leonard Day on trackofthewolf.com recently, but it was going for around $1300.

I have one of the 1640 monstrosities you mentioned, but I can dream...

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

There is another Doglock pistol out there that's "a little" smaller than the 1615 "Horse Pistol"

I have a problem with my pirate interpretation. I portray a buccaneer of 1670-1680. In looking around for a proper pistol, I find that a doglock would be best. From what I've seen the only ones available are huge monstroseties circa 1640, English Civil War cavalry weapons. Granted that the Queen Anne pistol is available, but that is usually considered to be 1700 and later. I am seeking a piece which would be correctly representative of the period my portrayal represents. I've only found the doglock from Middle Village Trading Company and Loyalist Arms. Are there any ohers available? Are there any older ones, that might be around or available? Thanks.

Black Jack Butler

ihtcbanner.jpg

Im working on a smaller doglock now. Im still waiting for the lock to arrive (any day now) and should be pouring the bronze barrel (blunderbuss) within the week. When I get some of these done I will post pictures. Have you found any pictures or descriptions of what you are looking for?

id.jpg

Vintage, I can't wait to see what your doglock blunderbuss looks like. To be honest I'm working off a sort of dead reckoning. Taking the 1640's doglock and comparing it to the Queen Anne pistol. I guess I'm thinking Sam Colt and the Walker Colt, which got three downsizes as Dragoon models. When you see the Queen Anne, pistol, you just know that there are some intermediate doglock pistols. Locks could have been made a bit smaller and barrels lighter, conseqently the whole piece would have been shorter and lighter. The only other weapon might be a Spanish Miguelet. I am working offThe Buccaneer's Realmsame author as The Sea Rovers Practice). And to be perfectly honest my knowledge of black powder weapons is from a later period, from doing Civil War Reenacting.

Mooseworth, I wish you could tell me who offers this different version of the doglock. I do know it's not Pedersoli. I looked. Any help you cold give me would be appreciated.

Thank you all.

We all use the Loyalist one for our presentations of Buccaneer. They are great weapons, accurate, reliable and within the realm of the time period in design. For the price, you can't beat them and very similar to the ones excavated from Port Royal, circa 1692 at the time of the great earthquake (sorry earthquakes).

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

We all use the Loyalist one for our presentations of Buccaneer.

-- Hurricane

Second on the Loyalist Arms and Repair doglock. I've two of them, and they've been brick solid, and the service from the folks at Loyalist is amazing. I'd love to head up the Maritimes and meet the lads.

M

Ive been doing a fair bit of conversing with the lads at Loyalist and once I sell a piece or two and have some funds I may be expanding and possilby selling to them. I should be going to the foundry with the Viceroy and pouring out several barrels tomorrow.

CS

id.jpg

Gentlemen:

Thank you one and all for your comments and assistance. Hurricane, can you give me a weight on the Loyalist Arms doglock and how do carry one or more of them? Got to admit that this would be my first non precussion cap black powder weapon; so my knowledge is limited. I'm here to learn.

Black Jack Butlere

It weighs in at 3 lbs on the dot. I wear mine with the belt hook. When I wear more than one I simple slot them on the belt or on my baldric with the belt hook. They hold nicely there and look pretty bitchin' as a representation. Don't bother with the black version - the paint chips off and they end up looking crappy after a little use.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 4 weeks later...

Black Jack Butler

An option would be to buy a chosen pistol...say a discounted price, cut down the barrel and reshape the front stock, you get a good deal, a shorter pistol that is period and its custom, if you do this work, you can stick yer chess out an raiz ye hed up high, ya kin tell all tha others that ya did yer very own gunsmithin.

If you cant , then some of us who are training (a huum hmmm) may be persuaded to fix it for ye biggrin.gif

Edited by Asolfr

Asolfr

Captain of the Blacktyde

Purveyor of Asolfr's Workshoppe

"If I don't have it, i'll find it

If I can't find it, i'll make it

If I can't make it, I'll steal it"

So says Asolfr the Pirate