Body Modification and Pirates.

I've been researching the subject and it seems the only thing I keep coming across is the boob/rib/organ abuse one underwent back in the day via tight corsets.

I did stumble upon this nugget:

"16th century in the New Kingdom of ancient Egypt a type of earring called an earplug became fashionable and these fitted snugly into a wide stretched hole in the earlobe"

But I am unable to find out if this was also done else where and for how long.

Really the question is, what "work" if any did they have?

I ask because I have a few things done, obviously my tattoos are not period correct and will be covered any how during PiP, I also plan on losing one piercing all together seeing as how putting a retainer in only draws more attention, other things I will tuck and hide away, but things like plugs in my ears (I thought about going to wood for PiP) and my implants along my sternum are kinda hard to hide.

Not that your eyes should be any lower then my face! :D

And aside from that I'm just interested, we all hear of crude tattoos and earrings, but I am wondering more about what was used, both as the piece (metals, woods, ink etc) and what methods did they use.

Thanks loads!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is at least one tattoo discussion thread around here some place. As to piercings and plugs I don't know anything about that. Remember that PiP does not require you to be 100% accurate.

If you wish to be period correct then by all means keep doing the research! Check the plug reference for accuracy, see if you can find other information to support that and make a story around it.

As to the implants on the sternum is there a way to cover them with a scarf or a piece of jewelry or some other PC adornment?

Yeah, one of the things keeping me from my microdermal was reenacting (I'm trying to be PC). My tattoos get mostly covered, (the one on my wrist is a pain, but at least the symbols date back a few thousand years or so, not that it's PC either! Tattoo artist and the like are actually really awesome sources for their craft. Many of the guys I worked with could tell you when and the country of origin in with a modification was developed, it's use and meaning, and probably have the documentation to back it up.

Though your best bet for the ears would be putting in a flesh colored plug and wearing a nice cap that covers your ears most of the time, it is lady-like of course. =) (I know a lady who can get you one at an exceptional price... lol)

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

The "New Kingdom" of Egypt was 16th Century BC, not AD. That is 3,000+ years too early for our period.

As I recall (not my expertise or particular interest in this time period), the sailors really didn't have tattoos or much in the way of piercings. I'm not recalling the history of the "famous" pirate earring or how common it was or wasn't.

Sailors didn't "go native" until later than our particular time frame for "period correct."

I'll fall back on others for that discussion.

Now, for the more "pop-pirate," Aztec and Native American Indian style stuff would be more acceptable, as would tattoos and earrings.

Of course, "pop-pirate" is a HUGE range that goes from "semi-historical"/legend/myth pirates based on the classic pirate literature/early film (which seems like a WHALE of a blast to do) and illustrations to Pirates of the Caribbean to flat-out fantasy.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Sailors didn't "go native" until later than our particular time frame for "period correct."

Lets not forget Lionel Wafer and his silver penis sheath...

Why I bow to those who know more on this than I . . .

I don't have any tattoos or piercings, so I don't spend to much time researching it.

Listen to HIM, not me! :blink:

Lionel Wafer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Wafer

http://web.princeton.edu/English/eng321/WAFER.HTM

http://www.bruceruiz.net/PanamaHistory/Pir...ionel_wafer.htm

There are exceptions to EVERYTHING!

(My point was that NORMALLY sailors didn't adopt Native practices. Of course, some DID join the natives, all out.)

Edited by Tartan Jack

Why I bow to those who know more on this than I . . .

Thanks, you are too kind.

I don't have any tattoos or piercings, so I don't spend to much time researching it.

Same here. But that being said, I am a big fan of going native. Someday I am going to reenact Lionel Wafer!

Listen to HIM, not me! ;)

No way. DON'T listen to me. My advice? Do your own research. Do your own thinking.

;):blink:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Lets not forget Lionel Wafer and his silver penis sheath...

No, let's go ahead. (Although, having read Wafer's book, I don't recall that bit. Wafer did have his body inked like the natives, though. See the above quoted post where I cite the interesting bits.)

I am of the opinion (as stated in the above linked thread) that while tattooing existed among sailors, it seems to have been rare based on the period comments made about it. And the tattoos were probably simpler designs - again based on period comments.

As for earrings, that is another discussion that you can learn about in the Twill forum (in fact several times, no doubt - there are probably at least 3 or 4 threads on the topic) for which the evidence seems to kind of thin.

I am not completely sure what sternum implants are, unless that is just a clever description of breast implants. Although why you would have to hide those seems mysterious. (I saw a girl I know a few weeks ago who had decided to get silver spikes all along her spine from the nape of her neck down to the base of the spine, so I am ready to accept any possibility for what a sternum implant might be..)

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Thank you all so much.

I figured it was easier to just hide the work I have that isn't period correct, like my septum and other various facial things, my snakebites will be lost, which is fine, nothing that can't be redone in the future.

And yes, I am picturing the nape piercings you are talking about Raphael, I've had my nape and madison (front/throat) done before, nothing along my spine as of yet, but the dermals are a straight line of 5 stars implanted along my chest, so no, not a cheeky way to say "boob job" ha. So could of been the same method you saw the girl with, or hers could of been less permanent surface piercings, no idea.

Like you suggested Silikie, I'm going to try and figure out a simple way to hide them a bit, granted they get snagged on everything, so it might be one of those things I will have to just have and not hide.

Everywhere else I am hoping to be as period correct as possible though.

If I hadn't dished out an ungodly amount of cash and blood to have them all done I would simply have them taken out, but I'm not ready to part with them! :lol:

LadyBrower: Exactly, I am hooked on getting work done, and since finding a local guy who does amazing microdermals and corsets, I can not hold myself back, I'm like a kid in a candy store with them, sheesh.

But all of it is an interest of mine, even though I am leaning toward the less mainstream things these days.

The plugs, thank goodness are now babies again, I had removed them and they healed up and I left em alone for years before finally getting around to redoing them. So hiding them with tiny flesh coloured plugs should fix it I hope, my tragus I am taking out any how thanks to it migrating for 8 years now, the poor fool is barely hanging on.

But I may hit this "lady" up :o

And my tattoos are luckily on my upper-arms, large but still easily hidden, another on my ankle and one on my big toe, none of which will be seen, so yay, one less thing to worry about!

William: Thank you so much, I am already pages deep into the thread!

Niko: Very cool find, I love wiki! I have snakebites AND venom's, obviously my venom's shouldn't be an issue seeing as how they are in my mouth, I am still going to go with a clear curved bar (I went with a single curved bar versus two separate straight bars, saves space in my mouth and healing time!) to hide them a bit more, and perhaps save myself from chomping on them as often.

Tartan Jack: Very true, I was just wondering about such things finding their way into "our period" and how, I'm much interested in the history of it all if there is any.

And I agree, I am going to go as PC as possible, of course it will only get better after being there in person and learning first hand from men and woman who have been doing this for years, but I would like my/our first go at it to be as authentic as possible.

Blackjohn: ...if I had one I dunno that I would get one, it sounds very uncomfortable. Says the woman currently trying desperately to get her husband to get an ampallang, look it up!

Any how, thank you all loads, I'm off to follow the links and learn a bit more!

I am going to go as PC as possible

Cool.

Philosophical question...

Do you want to reenact the norm, or do you want to reenact what is outside the norm?

And I'm curious, are you interested in a particular cultural background?

Blackjohn: ...if I had one I dunno that I would get one, it sounds very uncomfortable. Says the woman currently trying desperately to get her husband to get an ampallang, look it up!

Somehow I have a feeling I should wait til I get home.

:lol::o

My Home on the Web

3210042199_3a7d19a793.jpg

There ya go, a glimpse of the dermals and other things.

Both are me, before and after shots I put together :lol:

BlackHohn: Haaa, you may want to wait until you get home, that way there you can curl up into a ball and cry without getting the weird looks.

I really haven't thought to much of it, well I have, that's a lie. I spend hours on here when I can get a few, and dig and dig and write down and fav. etc. things and try to figure out which way to go, and also try to still keep it fun, of course if it feels like work it wouldn't be such a thing now would it? For now I am seriously enjoying all that I am learning, I had no idea how very fascinated I would become with it all. And I also haven't thought about THAT, I was wondering what sort of mix (characters and backgrounds) usually came to PiP, we are both currently fleshing out our characters, while simple things came easy, the real back bones of both are seeming more and more hard to get a hold of. But we will get there, I am far to stubborn (don't tell the Mister I just admitted to that) to stop now!

Am I the only one curious?

Picts?

(It might help on more specific recommendations and advise on how best to cover for events.)

Edit: HAHAHAHAHAHA She posts AS I am asking.

Edited by Tartan Jack

Picts?

(It might help on more specific recommendations and advise on how best to cover for events.)

Great minds think alike :lol: I had another shot, more of just the work and not the photoshop, yet I didn't know if it would be allowed, no nudity I swear! I'm just used to photosharing sites and not forums so much :o

Niko: Very cool find, I love wiki! I have snakebites AND venom's, obviously my venom's shouldn't be an issue seeing as how they are in my mouth, I am still going to go with a clear curved bar (I went with a single curved bar versus two separate straight bars, saves space in my mouth and healing time!) to hide them a bit more, and perhaps save myself from chomping on them as often.

It would be cooler if whoever wrote that bit had a citation for it. I'd love to read up on something like that. Maybe then I could get piercing that was less modern and more traditional. Hell I could get stuck by a real Aztec indian! lol.

Edited by Niko

Picts?

3192736652_820c9e022b_m.jpg

There, you can see that they are jagged little stars, which are hard to hide at times. I've switched to wearing longer necklaces, but still get snagged ever so often, higher shirts work, except when a stitch gets caught and I yank on them and yelp like a girl. I am going to get fitted into all my garb and then work around trying to hide them with a scarf or what something, because I really want to wear more layers in the hot florida sun :o Also depending on what my bodice does to me, a couple of the bottom ones may be eaten alive by cleavage, woman may have an easier time picturing it then men, who knows. I also think almost all of my visual work is seen in this shot, of course I will look alot diffrent come PiP, and even though I will have more layers on then I ever have, I will feel nekkid no doubt. So we've pretty much checked everything off, the plugs will be hidden, the treggus will be removed, the snakebite will be removed, septum tucked, tattoos hidden beneath my "normal" clothing and that is about it I do believe, oh yes, glasses ditched for contacts, very PC I know, but I don't want to be stumbling around :lol:

Picts? Are we painting ourselves blue again!?!?!

:lol:

Oooh... those kinds of picts.

I am learning, I had no idea how very fascinated I would become with it all. And I also haven't thought about THAT, I was wondering what sort of mix (characters and backgrounds) usually came to PiP

For the record, I can't speak for what happens at PiP, or most any other pirate event for that matter. But I do have experience in the world of reenacting, and there is a "when in Rome" sort of aspect to the hobby. To put it another way... it is easier to accessorize toward the fantastical aspect of things when your kit is spot on historical, than it is to go the other direction.

My Home on the Web

It would be cooler if whoever wrote that bit had a citation for it. I'd love to read up on something like that. Maybe then I could get piercing that was less modern and more traditional. Hell I could get stuck by a real Aztec indian! lol.

My aunt has pretty work done she got over in the Philippines way back in the day, done with traditional inks and bamboo etc, it's amazing how her work after all these years is still so bright and beautiful.

But I am also scared of the words "skin etching" go figure :lol:

And after watching little tribal boys get circumsized with a sharpened bamboo shoot on tv, I dunno about tribal piercings, I almost passed out watching it, haa.

*cries*

My aunt has pretty work done she got over in the Philippines way back in the day, done with traditional inks and bamboo etc, it's amazing how her work after all these years is still so bright and beautiful.

But I am also scared of the words "skin etching" go figure :o

And after watching little tribal boys get circumsized with a sharpened bamboo shoot on tv, I dunno about tribal piercings, I almost passed out watching it, haa.

*cries*

Yeah...I'd love to get traditional Polynesian tattoos on my leg. No matter how much it hurts lol.

But...circumsizion with bamboo tools? eeee...that makes me...not so comfortable. :lol:

Yeah...I'd love to get traditional Polynesian tattoos on my leg. No matter how much it hurts lol.

But...circumsizion with bamboo tools? eeee...that makes me...not so comfortable. :lol:

Mmhmm, it seems like a really interesting way about it, I can watch it, but I don't know how long I would last with getting any done, granted the dermals took alot longer then expected thanks to my thin blood.

Her's are also usually under her clothing which helps ease the aging, but still they are in darn good condition for how old they are.

She also picked up crabs and hep. while over there in the Air Force, haa, she isn't exactly as pleased with either of those as she is with her work :o

And yes, I hope to god that makes any guy uncomfortable, the worst thing ever seen was a GIRL having it done, granted that was not tribal at all (not the same show, and surely not an ancient tribe passing on a tradition) it was more scary and minus the bamboo for plyers, not awesome.

But to each his own, thank god I'm American!

For the record, I can't speak for what happens at PiP, or most any other pirate event for that matter. But I do have experience in the world of reenacting, and there is a "when in Rome" sort of aspect to the hobby. To put it another way... it is easier to accessorize toward the fantastical aspect of things when your kit is spot on historical, than it is to go the other direction.

Thank you, that really does help alot. I've been doing as much research as possible on every little thing, we have awhile before PiP so I am hoping to get it all ironed out and as pc as we can, now I just have to talk the Mister out of boots, which is harder then I thought it would be :lol:

We've role-played (get yer mind outta the gutter!) so I am good at fleshing out characters and getting into them, but this one and the who era is alot harder then I thought it would be, but still very enjoyable, I can't wait to have a few events under our belts and really know and learn and grow from it all.

So far you all have been pretty damn awesome with helping out where you can, which means the world!

We've role-played (get yer mind outta the gutter!)

A gutter mind is a terrible thing to waste.

so I am good at fleshing out characters and getting into them

Cool! I'm as much an rpger as I am a reenactor. So yeah... having that ability to develop a character comes in handy!

My Home on the Web

We've role-played (get yer mind outta the gutter!)

A gutter mind is a terrible thing to waste.

so I am good at fleshing out characters and getting into them

Cool! I'm as much an rpger as I am a reenactor. So yeah... having that ability to develop a character comes in handy!

Ha, yea as I typed "role-play" it then hit me that alot of folks who have never heard of RP may very well think I'm spilling my bedroom secrets, nevar!

And it is a terrible thing to waste, glad I'm not the only one, I swear at times this mind of mine belongs to a 17 year old boy.

And the ability totally does, I grow pretty fond of characters and can already tell I will love PiP, now to really hammer out the characters and get into them. This will be alot harder seeing as how I personally am used to Rp'ing online (sounds totally lame but isn't I swear!) and being able to using text versus myself, so this should be fun, I hope I do it justice.