Partial shipwreck found in Cape Cod

Coastie04

News Article

It's an interesting find. There is speculation that it's not just from an old fishing schooner, but an even older vessel due to the curve of the hull. However, that's obviously speculation at this point. It would be exciting if more information could be discovered, or if more parts would wash up nearby. From what I can see in this one photo, it could easily be part of a schooner. One thing that would definitely help age the wreck is whether those pegs on the ribs are metal or wood. I'm not sure if they used wood ones in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries, but if they're metal, then it's definitely not from the 16th Century.

Coastie

truro_shipwreck_062309.jpg

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

ohh cool stuff!!! I'll lay bets on a Very late 1700 to mid 1800 new england fishing boat.

trunnels were used in the colonies well into the 19th century. northern colonies switched over to iron, then the southern colonies long before the civil war, but still used throughout. Then there were the folks from around the world using them as well.

Not enough detail to see if the planks are milled or worked. You could say they were worked due to the irregular surface of the wood. but that thing has been rolling around for years! Also, single layer of planks on the side. A serious ocean goer would most likely have been double planked or been a whole lot thicker than this appears to be.

So Where would this fit on our mystery craft?

If this were off the bottom, she would be a very long flat bottomed tub- not very conducive to new England coasts.

Might be part of the chine. This is the area from the bottom that starts to round into the sides. this could also explain the piece of wood inside the ship that runs the length of the hull, visible in the photo. I forget what its called, but this needed for structural support during planking. it holds the frames in place.

Tumble holme- the side of the ship characteristic of spanish ships???????? I don't see it. not saying it taint so, but it would make for an ugly ship. The bloody thing would be a barrel at that point and more suitable for going over niagra falls.

Lets look at the frames. Them be solid pieces and close together. This ship was built for work! This was typical construction for fishing and coastal trading in rough environments through the colonial era before iron fasteners were common.

Unfortunately, this may be chalked up as an idunno until someone gets a good look. I'd love to know what species shes made of. that would help narrow it down.

ah bugger. i cant figure out how to import a modified picture into this. anyhow. in regards to the trunnels being a metal, not likely.

iron is right out. there is no deterioration of fasteners or signs of being iron sick.

Brass... hmmm maybe until you look at the second frame from the bottom, right to left, second one in just above the water. I've never seen brass splinter.

Next, look at the holes in the planking closest to the camera. Metals would have worn the holes more oblong than what is there. It appears the wedges popped out of the trunnels and the frames slid off, of course after many years of erosion this was a cake walk. Which bring up another observation. The metal would have caused an electralysis issue and would have eroded the wood around the fittings, hence the iron sickness- yes it even happens with brass, it just turns green as it leeches.

Look at the top of the photo. there are two trunnels sticking out from the surface of the boards. Metal fasteners would have been bunged to protect them from the elements to prevent erosion. Those are not bungs- too long, they would have popped out leaving exposed metal INSIDE the wood, not as isolated protrusions like that. Also, metal fasteners would not have been round and there are no heads to hold the boards in place. they would just slide right off in cold weather.. square or multi-sided would have most likely been used. economically cheaper than round stock and round has less bite to hold the wood in place as there were no edges for the wood fiber to set against.

I lost the link, but I saw another article that did mention that there was a combination of wooden pegs holding the planks on, as well as square headed brass nails (possibly in the stringer on the inside of the hull?). From what little information we have, I would put money on it being a 19th Century fishing or coastal trader. I would love to know more information about it.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

TRURO - The mystery of a shipwreck that washed ashore last week in Truro remains a mystery this morning, reports the Cape Cod Times.

As of 8 a.m. today, at or near low tide, there was still no wreck to be found near Ballston Beach in Truro, Times reporter Eric Williams said by cell phone from the scene.

So the mystery Williams dubbed the "celebrity shipwreck mystery" remains, well, mysterious.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20090624truro_shipwreck_mystery_unsolved_today/srvc=home&position=recent

2c5d204915_ltpShipwreck062409.jpg

Sebastian Junger stands on a wreck found at Ballston Beach in Truro in this photo taken on 6/19/09.

Dances for nickels.

• 5 months later...

TRURO - The mystery of a shipwreck that washed ashore last week in Truro remains a mystery this morning, reports the Cape Cod Times.

As of 8 a.m. today, at or near low tide, there was still no wreck to be found near Ballston Beach in Truro, Times reporter Eric Williams said by cell phone from the scene.

So the mystery Williams dubbed the "celebrity shipwreck mystery" remains, well, mysterious.

http://www.bostonher...position=recent

2c5d204915_ltpShipwreck062409.jpg

Sebastian Junger stands on a wreck found at Ballston Beach in Truro in this photo taken on 6/19/09.

I found something simillar today on yirrel beach in Winthrop ma. Wooden trunnels 1" in dia on 12-16" planks 2" thick. Ribs are approx. 8"x6" thick. no metal anywhere. We took it home and will do more investigating. The pieces we found were not as complete as the one shown in these pictures, but is very simillar. The ones we found were 3 ribs about 12' long. I grew up in this area and when I was a kid old timers told me of wrecks that occured in Bostons outer harbor many years ago.