Ransom's Nor Cal Diary

Ransom

My Nor Cal experience was just so full and exciting that a few posted pictures wouldn't be enough to describe it. So, with a nod to Mission and his PIP journals, I decided to post my much shorter version of a diary, with pictures. It may take me a few days to get it all posted, but here goes...

Friday June 19, 2009 Richmond to Vallejo on board the Aldebaran.

Chain Shot and I were given the privilege of being part of the crewe which would sail the 72' schooner Aldebaran from Richmond to Vallejo, where she would take part in the two afternoon gun battles with the shore battery and the British. We would also be part of the gun crewes for those battles.

Red-Handed Jill picked up Chain Shot and me at the Marina in Vallejo, where we left my truck, and where the Aldebaran would be moored during the event, and drove us to Richmond, where Captain Hayden, his wife, Fern, and Iron Jack were in the process of getting the schooner ready for our sail. The captain and Fern live in a lovely town house in a complex in Point Richmond, which includes a private dock. After loading the cannons, rail guns, and supplies, we spent about an hour in Captains Hayden's shop making powder rounds and quills for the guns while waiting for one more crewe member to arrive.

I must add that Captain Hayden personally built the Aldebaran over a period of 30 years, and the care, love, and extraordinary workmanship that went into her creation are amazing.

At around 3:30 in the afternoon, and all crewe members present and accounted for, we slowly pulled away from the dock.

IMG_0665.jpg

Heading into San Francisco Bay. Myself and Red-Handed Jill toward the bow, admiring the view.

IMG_0670.jpg

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

There are many islands in San Francisco Bay, including the prison island of Alcatraz and the pretty much abandoned, but huge naval facility, on Mare Island, which is just across the channel from Vallejo. Here is a picture of one of two small islands called The Brothers. One is uninhabited, and one has this light house.

IMG_0692.jpg

Then the wind really picked up and things got, well.....exciting! BTW, there are no pictures of us actually working the ship, since we were WAY too busy to take pictures. However, Chain Shot managed to get this one, taken from the stern. Then we all got busy taking in the mains'l. Notice Captain Hayden bracing with his foot to keep his balance while at the wheel! The rest of us were on the port side rail, hanging on.

IMG_0677.jpg

Iron Jack, Red-Handed Jill (climbing up from below where she had put on her new shirt she made, as it was getting a bit cold), and Captain Hayden.

IMG_0693.jpg

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Myself, just after getting the bottom of my pants drenched by a wave that came over the bow, and Iron Jack.

IMG_0683.jpg

Myself and Red-Handed Jill enjoying a great sail, while letting the bottoms of our pants dry out.

IMG_0697.jpg

We arrived at Vallejo Marina at around 6:30, got the ship secured, then enjoyed a great "help yourself" dinner of potato salad, coleslaw, pulled pork, nan bread, chips, and pumpkin bread. Fern (Captain's wife) also plied us the whole way with Pringles (?) potato chips, just so we could keep up our strength. :wub:

Most of the crew slept on board, but Chain Shot and I drove back to our motel room, looking forward to the next two days of pyrate fun! :P

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Saturday, June 20. First day of the event.

After a great continental breakfast at the hotel (The Best Western in Benicia), and a stop at a convenience store for ice and milk, to be delivered to the Aldebaran, Chain Shot and I got registered and received our wrist bands, which would allow us into the grounds before and after hours. The event itself is free to the public.

We went directly to the Tales of the Seven Seas camp, and reunited with friends we only get to see once or twice a year. Also, Oderless Eye brought a few members of the Stranglehold with him this year, so it was fun to meet new folks. First on the agenda at 10:00 am was an hour of meet and greet at the entrance, handing out programs and raffle tickets. Then Chain Shot and I did a quick stroll among the booths, before heading back to Aldebaran at noon for the cannon crew run through, and to get the ship ready for the battle sail.

Here are a few shots taken around grounds, to give you an idea of the diversity of garb you see at this HUGE event. Saturday the organizers estimated the crowd to be around 15K (going by the number of programs we handed out). I know on Sunday the crowd was slightly bigger, so I'm guessing that overall, for the two days there were around 30k. It's a really big event.

Main entrance.

100_3261.jpg

Looking down one of the lanes between the merchant booths. This was taken from the Tales encampment. Next door to us was a group teaching kids how to use swords — they dressed them in fencing safety equipment first, of course.

100_3258.jpg

Here's one of the many games available to kids...of all ages.

100_3273.jpg

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

The really kewl thing about Nor Cal is that you see the whole spectrum of pyracy — from PC pyrates to out-and-out fantasy, and everything in between. Yeah, some of the stuff you see can be pretty cheesy, especially stuff worn by the muggles, but most of it, even if it isn't your particular style, shows a lot of work and detail.

The British. I tired to get a picture of the inside of their tent, which was really well done, but it was too dark within for my camera to pick up.

100_3270.jpg

Py-rat

100_3267.jpg

Chain Shot...the pyrate of my heart. :P

100_3276.jpg

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Dread pyrates...LOL

100_3264.jpg

Yours truly and Bilge Munkey having a nice confab. He was commenting on how he felt so under-dressed compared to some of the amazing garb we'd seen. I thought he looked pretty spiffy. :P

IMG_0781.jpg

That's all for now. I'm still uploading pictures to Photobucket. Next to come, the Saturday afternoon battle sail. :P

RAKEHELL-1.jpg