Campeche Mexico

Tiki Pirate

Ahoy tharr mates. This being me first post, I feel it right proper to share.

These be pictures from an old Sisal Town in Mexico. Mark you, this be a rich town in the past, so it be raided by us sea folk often. Spanish forts, grog, wenches, and gold!

Enjoy me photos of me little raid into town..

img2045hwo.jpg

This be ye land gate,

img2051y.jpg

Another angle, mind ye the walls. Bring ye grapples!

img2041n.jpg

Heark ye, beware the lead.

img2049a.jpg

Harr! Atop them walls.

img2053c.jpg

Quick, down into town!

img2059ggk.jpg

There be wealthy merchants abound

img2048.jpg

I be fixing to be painted someday.

img2047k.jpg

Me be thinking this a replica.

img5146l.jpg

Me crew be scouring town fer grog and wenches all night.

img2058z.jpg

Tis a rough morn' to face yet another garrison.

Hope you all enjoyed my virtual raid on Campeche, Mexico. Truly a town of much import for us pirates, then and now. These photos were from a vacation I took there about 6 years ago.

Been a member here for a while; but, just lurked off and on. I attended the Northern California Pirate Fest last weekend and had a blast! Well, I am back don't intend to lurk anymore.

Here is some more information about Campeche for those interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campeche,_Campeche

Very cool. Mexico has such interesting architecture.

Plus they have Catrinas. What can beat Catrinas? My own Lupe:

Catrina%203rd.jpg

I wonder which my own Lupe it is?

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• 1 month later...
William Dampier visted Campeche, or "Campeachy" as he called it, in his early buccaneering days. I think it was near here where he initially tried to make his fortune in the logwood trade, and found that the Spanish harassment of the logwood cutters so upsetting that he decided to harass the Spanish for a while.

• 1 month later...

It appears from the photos that the homes have been built very close to the city walls.

Indeed they were. The homes you see pictured next to the wall were actually on the inside of the wall. Even in historical times people lived on the outside of the wall, as they also do today.

The people living outside were usually servants, slaves, or lower class citizens. People on the inside were usually of Spanish descent and would be the wealthier citizens.

The town was also surrounded by several smaller forts located on the hilltops surrounding the town. Today the city has expanded greatly; but, most of the buildings inside the old walls are historic. Sadly, the old harbor/sea gate that required ships to actually sail into the walled city was filled in during the 1950's.