Tripe

Cheeky Actress

This wonderful recipe is Haunting Lily's mother's.

You may use Cow, but Sheep can also be used...

Tripe

1 med onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 green pepper, chopped

1 28 oz can peeled tomato

1 6 oz can tomato paste

12 oz water

salt

pepper

basil

parsley

hot pepper

olive oil

Boil & clean tripe

cut into strips

saute onion, garlic & green pepper in olie oil until tender

add salt, pepper, basil, parsley & hot pepper

add tomato, tomato paste & water

add tripe

cook 5-6 hrs

Lily's mom unfortunately didn't believe in measuring spices. Her general rule was once around the pot,

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Thanks for posting this Cheeky.

As a note to my mother's recipe. Tripe can be a little tricky. When boiling and cleaning, change the water at least once, maybe twice. But be careful not to over boil or the tripe will get mushy.

Once around the pot means a thin layer that covers the entire surface of the pot.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I used to think tripe would be an awful thing then an old co-worker of mine had me try his mother’s homemade menudo and I was a convert!

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.

3660251270_1501aa649b.jpg

Yes, if you get over the fact of what it really is...it does have a wonderful flavor to it. I'm calling around some of the local supermarkets here to find out if they have the 'basic' ingredient. So far, I haven't had much luck. Need to call a butcher in Eden.

Member of "The Forsaken"

That’s funny to me that you are having a hard time finding it. Here in Denver because of the large Latino population it can almost always be found right in the local grocery mega-mart.

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.

That's funny to me that you are having a hard time finding it. Here in Denver because of the large Latino population it can almost always be found right in the local grocery mega-mart.

Same. And I live on a damn island!

It's worth noting that there are different forms of tripe, depending upon from what part of the digestive system the tripe was harvested.

You're quite right Quatermaster James,

I perfer the fourth stomach. The first stomach (looks like brain coral to me), doesn't have the same flavor. I have yet to try the second or third stomachs though.

Member of "The Forsaken"

That's funny to me that you are having a hard time finding it. Here in Denver because of the large Latino population it can almost always be found right in the local grocery mega-mart.

Well, Denver is a lot bigger than my little po-dunk town.

Member of "The Forsaken"

I have no doubt. It just makes me wonder how regional a thing it is too though. For example I know most of the folks here seem to live near a coast so I know they get better seafood than I do and can find it easier as well.

ok, so all this talk about tripe got me craving for it. It's been so long since I've made it myself, I had to do it. Who cares if O'Keeffe won't eat it. More for meeeeeeeeeeee.......................... :P

I also think I figured out the approximate measurements to my mother's recipe.

2 lbs tripe

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

2 tsp basil

2 tsp parsley

1/2-1 tsp crushed red pepper

adjust to your liking

Boil tripe 20 - 30 min. (It should have a grayish color to it). Run under cold water before cleaning and cutting.

Before adding to sauce, bring sauce to a boil. Add tripe, reduce to low.

I'll let you know how it comes out after 9pm.

ps. Cheeky can you please add the measurements to the original post. Thanks.

Edit: It finished cooking an hour early. Mmmmmmmmmm just like I remember. It's not mushy and has a little bit of crunch to it. The only thing I forgot was the Italian bread to go with it.

Edited by Haunting Lily

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

ok, so all this talk about tripe got me craving for it. It's been so long since I've made it myself, I had to do it. Who cares if O'Keeffe won't eat it. More for meeeeeeeeeeee.......................... :rolleyes:

I also think I figured out the approximate measurements to my mother's recipe.

2 lbs tripe

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

2 tsp basil

2 tsp parsley

1/2-1 tsp crushed red pepper

adjust to your liking

Boil tripe 20 - 30 min. (It should have a grayish color to it). Run under cold water before cleaning and cutting.

Before adding to sauce, bring sauce to a boil. Add tripe, reduce to low.

I'll let you know how it comes out after 9pm.

ps. Cheeky can you please add the measurements to the original post. Thanks.

Edit: It finished cooking an hour early. Mmmmmmmmmm just like I remember. It's not mushy and has a little bit of crunch to it. The only thing I forgot was the Italian bread to go with it.

I like my tripe with soy sauce and hot chilis in oil! That's how the Chinese eat it. YUM!