Why artificially age clothes??????

Hawkyns

On the other hand, as QM James said, everybody has dirty jobs to do wherever they live, from painting the bathroom, to changing the oil, to mowing the lawn. That's why I asked the question. With so many opportunities to crud up clothing naturally, doing the movie FX stuff just didn't make sense.

Hawkyns

This is a good point - when this conversation started, I wasn't sure if wearing your kit to change the oil or stain the deck or something like that counted as 'artificially aged' or not. They aren't exactly period activities, in many cases, and they are generally very dirty chores, so part of me thinks they would be considered 'artificial.' On the other hand, they are real activities, with the counter-intuitive staining, accidental smears and whatnot of real work. Certain stains are earned in period-ish activities - for example, I accidentally dumped a .69 barrel full of dirty blackpowder solvent on the slop hose a few weeks ago. When I eat I eat with deliberate mess - wiping my mouth with my sleeves, complete disregard for what a I spill - but the spills themselves are accidental. I have used my garments to clean rusty or dirty equipment - is that artificially aging? I think it might be more of a spectrum than a dichtomy - plus, won't those artificially aged garments naturally age and aquire stains?

I don't mean to appear defensive. I'd say I've done it both ways, and all in all 'natural aging' is more... FUN, I guess, but even then you artificial aging will be covered up or complemented by natural aging. Although, to be clear, I don't really wash my garments much - I don't want to lose the crud that's accumulated. I do wash my shirts and socks, though, and I have washed clothes when blatently artifical stains are present (like those left by gatoraid). I use a few drops of baby shampoo, though, instead of detergent. I had a jacket that smelled like bug spray - don't ask - which is a smell that I can tolerate except when it's mixed with the smell of old campfire smoke. Plus it smells so artifical and modern to me that I doused the jacket in hot tea three or four time. I lost some grime but got ride of the smell.

Is there another thread on artifical aging? I would be interested to see what some specific techniques and their results are.

EDIT: Nevermind - here's one.

Edited by Bloody Jack Madd

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Can't say I'm a fan of artificial aging of anything as most of the time it winds up looking, well, artificial. Even if I didn't wear my gear as often as I do it will age over time and in fact has. Keep in mind that not all clothing was old and dilapidated and pirates, especially, had the opportunity to upgrade whenever they got the urge you might try the natural aging process even if you don't have a lot of opportunities to wear your gear.

I would question using your gear for modern tasks involving chemicals not present back in the day, like mowing the yard. This might be a great reason to buy a sailboat though. :rolleyes:

I do like QM James suggestion on cleaning though, I'll give this a try.

And I hear you Rumba. I kind of draw the line at the lice infestation. :) My first weekend at the Castillo here in Saint Augustine I had borrowed a shirt from the NPS. I rinsed it out after day one which didn't make much difference so I didn't for day three. By the afternoon of the third day I was apologizing to people who wanted a picture with me so now I have enough shirts and stockings to use clean ones each day.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

Well once again it seems to me that it boils down too how you have your "Pyrate fun". I can see both sides very well. I've been on both sides.

For my first PiP I "aged" 11 costumes for everybody that came down. Simple things really but a little went a long way. It was certainly fun and we didn't look like we just came out of "Ren Faires 'R Us." If all your doing is going from faire to faire then I see the desire for "aging" a kit. It really is a lot of fun. It helps to keep you doing stuff inbetween events.

Now on the other side my new kit is (was) new. I spent 3 days in kit at Blackbeard's Fest and believe me it took some damage. Close to a day and half in the rain. Only to dry out later. My coat needed a couple repairs after that event. :rolleyes: Both my shirts had nice sweat rings around my neck. Very hard to accomplish artificially and I've tried.

I must say I didn't shower or bathe for those 3 days and I didn't get any parasites or lice. I was actually surprised how accustomed I got to my environment. I changed shirts in the middle of the event and boy I'll tell you it felt like a shower. A clean dry shirt was amazing but I'm veering off topic.

I will say this though, I understand and agree with both sides. Each has their purpose and place in our realm of pyrates and portrayal of them. (Or in my case there adversarys. :rolleyes: ) I guess it's all in how you play. Have fun!

To echo some previous posters...

Do aging however and with whatever makes you happiest. There's no right way to play pirate. If you don't like one way, don't do it. If you tried one way and it didn't work for you, do it another way next time. It's your stuff and your schtick. We're here to share ideas with each other, not enforce best practices or decide the way others should do something.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Edited by Caraccioli

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I would question using your gear for modern tasks involving chemicals not present back in the day, like mowing the yard. This might be a great reason to buy a sailboat though. :rolleyes:

Good point. Consider, however, that after it's aged and set a grease stain is a grease stain. Hard to tell the difference whether it was from whale oil or motor oil, or something in between. Don't have the documentation handy at the moment, but I think grass and vegetation stains might be PC :rolleyes: Oh! And ever slip and fall in clay soil? That's no easier to get out now than it was 300 years ago!

I do like QM James suggestion on cleaning though, I'll give this a try.

Thanks, but I can't take credit. Once again I'm just passing along more of what I've learned here.

Eye dirty myself with make up and my clothing to look like i have been working on a ship and not just making a trip to the galley... I even use Tar Smell from American Tar and rope Co. It has a nice dank piney smell Like ye been handling the Tarred ropes for a bit or six months dependin.. My Hollywood authentic as a deck hand/ look out has been on a burning ship that was boarded and pillage afore she sank..I have a fresh scar with blood under me right eye.. I have been in a good fight very recently.. And ye know..In my opinion I look rightly Identifiable to the public so it all werks for me..

As for me Authentic look..I ian't quite as dirty as me rank and position is higher on the food chain on the ship as a second mate and will never portray myself as a Captain! Devil Be Damned! Thar too many of those and not many to sail the ship in my opinion..Aye my shirt is still dirty. Me shoe buckles are historically accurate and not all buckles are huge like what I see most reenactors ware . the tounges on me shoes are a little short because I ate them when stores ran out once...( At Least till I gett A better pair) LoL ~

I still use make-up to look as though I have a leathery skin on me face and ears and hands..A lot of Sun on a sailing vessel you will get and wind takes its toll as well... Eye say every man /Woman to thar Hobby as they see fit and as That is the same that gives me the freedom..Ya I said it ! Freedom to represent My idea of GAOP Pirates using common sence and historical references. I respect the opinions and ideas i read here on this forum and some even have inspired me like Patrick Hand to work at becoming more authentic.. Most of all I have to mucjh fun doing this stuff and meeting poeple who share in this hobby. Ahh the sweet life..

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Anyone wants to "age' their clothes is welcome to spend a weekend here with us on the horse ranch doing farm/ranch work. Then we can go run jug lines for catfish on Truman lake, clean the catch and have a fish fry. By monday morning your significant other won't let you in the house with de-tox!

Bo

Oh! And ever slip and fall in clay soil? That's no easier to get out now than it was 300 years ago![/font][/size]

Hell man, you have been to Virginia and not stopped by to say hello?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Anyone wants to "age' their clothes is welcome to spend a weekend here with us on the horse ranch doing farm/ranch work.

Bo

Aye but then you'll smell like a horse not a sailor! ;)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

The horse part is just for the grime and stains, the catfish guts'll take care of the sailor part pretty much. The barbed wire and locust thorns will cover yer scars, and the tractor/machinery grease will do nicely too. Plus, I'm about to replace our faulty septic tank that's been in the ground since this place was built in 1971! One weekend, guaranteed!

Bo

Plus, I'm about to replace our faulty septic tank that's been in the ground since this place was built in 1971! One weekend, guaranteed!

Bo

One weekend? Hell, one slip and you'll be aged in an instant.... ;)

Crewe of the Archangel

seagoer_cream.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

This question carries the common presumption that we're all reenactors, and have the luxury of allowing clothing to age naturally. For me, waiting for natural aging has two primary flaws - first, I just can't make it to enough lengthy, dirty, outdoor events, so my clothing would end up looking new for a very, very long time. The second problem is regarding hygeine and smell - many times I need to look the part of a dirty pirate while amongst "normal" folks - folks that can appreciate a dirty, period looking pirate, but who might be less keen on historically accurate smells. I'm sure Spareribs would agree that sometimes you've got to be selective in just which parts of piracy you portray around the public, and which parts you gloss over.

HEHEHE no kidding! I sometimes have a very hard time NOT smelling like a pirate. Lets face it, no one wants to come up to shake your hand and put a fiver in the hat after a show....and smell THAT!

I can't HELP but have my gear naturally fade and get ruined. When I was crew on the Royaliste that would give your gear a good beating too! Nothing like salt water and sun to wreck a perfectly good wig of dreads!

Oh! And ever slip and fall in clay soil? That's no easier to get out now than it was 300 years ago![/font][/size]

Hell man, you have been to Virginia and not stopped by to say hello?

Sorry Captain, it's been quite a few years since I was last out that way; the "Father & Son Eat Their Way Through the South Tour of '94", I believe...

Yes, I have dyed some of my garb in tea to give a well worn look

Tea does impart a nice brown. But if you're going to go down this route, allow me to suggest grape juice. Yes, at first blush it will look purple/pink but it quickly turns a nice dingy grey/blue.

Yes, I have gone this route. I have a shirt from my early days in this hobby that seems to have been made from the same stuff as cotton bedsheets: stiff, tight, and bright. I've dyed this with tea, used it as a rag, and finally used grape juice to end up with something I might finally wear in public! ;)

One thing I've noticed here is that no one has mentioned that it depends on what kind of clothes you are trying to age. Something I heard a while back (on Bilgemunky Radio) was that good, sturdy pirate apparel can age well naturally, while cheap or costumey stuff will just fall apart. I have found this to be very true. For instance, my prissy, plumy velvet hat isn't going to age properly no matter how much weather I subject it to - it will simply disintegrate. My felt tricorn, however, will take wear and tear well and look all the better for it. "Costume" pieces, for better or worse, may have to "aged" with some artificial means just to make them look more appropriate, if that's the look you are going for. For myself, if I'm going to wear the velvet hat, I might as well wear a fairly clean bodice and skirt - a look that goes well with my less-than-grizzled persona anyway.

My reason for aging clothing? I have only been reenacting for a few months and my character has been sailing all of his life (I can't get away with portraying a powder monkey or a sailor new to the sea). However, the clothes are aging rather well on their own. I just don't worry about getting them dirty. In fact I go out of my way to let the dirt find them.

Edited by Fionntan Murtaugh
Fionnsignturea.png?t=1252109128

Been following this thread for awhile...

Just some observations...

I come at this from a reenactor's viewpoint, so take it as yo will...

Is your kit a costume or normal clothes? Meaning is this something you 'get into' to entertain others and yourself or is what you 'put on' to be a person of the age?

If you have a costume and add a new piece to replace a piece that was lost/broken/worn out and have to age it to fit in... I'll go with that.

But, if your reenacting you have no need to artificially age anything. Back 'in the day' as it happens now, things wear out and are replaced to get worn out in time. Even if portraying an 'old salt', that old salt still gets new clothing every so often. There are occasions when a crew was on a long journey they wore their clothes til they literally disintegrated, getting a new wardrobe in the next port if possible. And when shipboard, you don't have the time to worry about getting dirty or fitting in with the seasoned crew, the dirt and all will happen soon enough!

As to smell, body odor, etc.

We are so screwed up these days in our modern world. Tarting ourselves up with cologne and perfume to a point where anyone with any breathing disorder has a hard time breathing around others is ridiculous. Within the GAOP there was plenty of that used to cover up 'mal-air', however it would be your upper class who could afford it. The cheaper way for a woman to have a pleasant scent around her was with a cloven fruit - a lemon, orange, etc, with cloves dotting the skin. I can't say for sure, but probably your foppish men had the same.

Us working stiffs, well, you smelled how you smelled... I'm not saying to do it right, don't bathe for a week, but lay off on the heavy scents. Use a non deodorant soap, find a deodorant that's of a 'period' scent. (Can't think of anything except for sandalwood at the moment) You could go exotic and find a heavier scent like Amber or a musk from the far east... as you just 'did some business' with a merchant from India (wink-wink)

Take it as you will...

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I am with Dorian on the smell. If you can't stand the smell of your clothing the perhaps it is a good time for a hand wash or Fabreez. However perfume STINKS! 2 or 3 days of smell is not going to make you or anyone sick. I enjoy a good shower as much as the next person but I am not opposed to not doing so for a few days. If you must clean then use something without scent.

I find that the natural way of aging is sufficient for most needs. Just don't try to stay clean. It is easy to get dirty.

Now, say your character has seen action, battle etc. There is a bullet shot in your shirt sleeve. You are dead from infection but your shirt lives on. The hole would be patched so you don't even have to damage the fabric. Neatly stitch a patch in that spot (everyone knew how to sew a patch on). In this case you are artificially aging the clothes. However not everyone does living history so you may not need the patch to lead into the lesson that you wish to share.

"M'mate Michael Smith died after the bullet lodged in his arm. Surgeon dug out the bullet, wearin it as a pendant I am." (show what a shot looks like after it has hit bone) "Surgeon even tried amputating his arm, fever got him anyway." (look of sorrow passes over your face) "I was his closest mate and was given his shirt as is custom. E'won't be needin it no more, "(remove hat and hold it over your heart) "God rest his soul. Was a new one afore he was shot. "

Again, it all depends on what your goal is.