Santa Maria pirate re-enactment weekend

michaelsbagley

I know people are getting sick of hearing about this one already....

But.... :rolleyes:

We are currently TRYING to arrange that the September edition of this event be an all weekend deal as well. We have a few obstacles to get around before we can firm that up, but please do keep that in mind if you had a great time and would be willing to come back out for a weekend, or come out for the first time for a whole weekend...

Also IF we can arrange for the September edition of the event to be all weekend, we will most likely be trying to work an evening ball into the deal as well...

Again please keep in mind this is all very speculative and tentative right now, but we are trying... ;)

The dates for September will be Talk Like a Pirate Day (Saturday September 19th) with the POSSIBLITY of Sunday Sept. 20th as well (and maybe Friday evening as well).

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let us know what we can do to help you make it a longer event.

At your command (and disposal)...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Let us know what we can do to help you make it a longer event.

At your command (and disposal)...

-- Hurricane

Your willingness to come is the biggest help you can be of at the moment (and THANK YOU for that!)... The hurdle for a weekend long event is that there is a wedding booked on the ship... So we are seeing if we can arrange for something else for everone to do (like a ball) while the wedding is going on Saturday evening... Assuming the arrangements can be made and the director of the ship is on board (and she really loves us for all we have done) it should be a pretty small hurdle to overcome.

It may mean promptly tidying the ship and vacating it at the end of Saturday for most of the evening, which would mean for more work for everyone... But hey it could work.

Michael_banner.jpg

if you'd have us again, we would love to do it all over... the ball idea sounds like fun...

Like we would have one of these without you after how good you and Lady Constance were to us last time!!! IN fact the rule for you, is you only get to come if you bring her along this time. Or maybe to make things fair, this time she can come and you stay at home. :rolleyes: (just kidding, we really want both of you here)

Michael_banner.jpg

if you'd have us again, we would love to do it all over... the ball idea sounds like fun...

Like we would have one of these without you after how good you and Lady Constance were to us last time!!! IN fact the rule for you, is you only get to come if you bring her along this time. Or maybe to make things fair, this time she can come and you stay at home. :lol: (just kidding, we really want both of you here)

But she has to bring cookies....and those brownies....and the crackers and dips. *ahem.* I don't cook. Is it obvious?

Banner.jpg

I know people are getting sick of hearing about this one already....

But.... :lol:

We are currently TRYING to arrange that the September edition of this event be an all weekend deal as well. We have a few obstacles to get around before we can firm that up, but please do keep that in mind if you had a great time and would be willing to come back out for a weekend, or come out for the first time for a whole weekend...

Also IF we can arrange for the September edition of the event to be all weekend, we will most likely be trying to work an evening ball into the deal as well...

Again please keep in mind this is all very speculative and tentative right now, but we are trying... :lol:

The dates for September will be Talk Like a Pirate Day (Saturday September 19th) with the POSSIBLITY of Sunday Sept. 20th as well (and maybe Friday evening as well).

I wanna come play again!!!

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

hmmm... everything revolves around food.... interesting :)

yeah, bring on the jerk chicken !!

The food in Ohio is a bland as the landscape... If we want anything good we have to have it imported... Which is easiest when people visit from out of state and bring it in with them! :huh:

Michael_banner.jpg

I wanna come play again!!!

If your Jerk Chicken is a part of the deal, you are MORE than welcome dearie!

perhaps i'll figure out how to cook it on the ship this time.... hmmm...... my habeneros are growing in the backyard and will be ready in time :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

• 3 weeks later...

Bump...

Okay, here is the latest skinny on the September edition of this event...

We will have the ship for the whole weekend (with a few interuptions), so those who care to show up early, can show up on friday and have a place to stay for free (as long as you are willing to "camp" on the ship. Although we will not have access to the ship until after 9:30 PM on Friday.

I am considering booking that Friday off (and perhaps the Thursday as well) to help with last minute arrangements and try to entertain anyone showing up very early (I have some ideas on cool things to do, but I have to flesh out the ideas first).

The ball (which is not definite yet, but looking VERY likely) will be Saturday evening. The ship is booked for a private function Saturday evening, so the ball would be a perfect diversion for the few hours we need to clear off the ship for. I am also considering other options for those who may not wish to attend the ball to keep them amused. At this point I am guessing, but I htink we will need to be off and away from the ship between 7:00 PM and 10:00 PM (+/- an hour at the begnning and/or end).

We're hoping the second boat (the ship's small boat) will be repaired by this time so we can use it. So this time we may actually have two small boats to attack the ship from (we expected that last time, but that was before the ship's small boat was damaged just prior to the event).

We are having another "Charity Auction" for this event, it will run the same as last time (more or less). If anyone has anything they would like to donate, please contact me. Again pirate or nautical themed items would be prefered, but anything will help and be most appreciated.

Judging from the responses I have recieved, this event is likely to be as well attended as the last one, and perhaps better attended, as we will be marketing this one a bit heavier, as unless we are able to make a serious impact, it very well might be the last (although we hope not!).

This event again is very open, historic clothing is preferred, but all shapes and styles of pirates are welcome to help. Any ideas on activities or suggestions on how to make this event bigger and better and more fun would be most welcome!

So again, this event is for the ENTIRE WEEKEND of September 19 and 20 (including the evening of the 18th) which coincides with Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Managed to get out and hand out pamphlets for this event this past weekend during all the big 4th of July celebrations... Between Mark, Kate and I, we handed out almost 400 flyers, wish I had have printed more and had the energy to walk the parade... I could have handed out WAY MORE.. :P Mark really did the lions share of the work with this one as he walked the parade handing out the pamphlets we gave him.

But during the parade, I did manage to get interviewed by a member of the local press... and made the front page story of the biggest local newspaper (no photo thought :P )

Columbus Dispatch article I doubt this story will stay active long, so the link may not work if you are reading this weeks or months down the road.

Michael_banner.jpg

Excellent!!!

well done!!

Managed to get out and hand out pamphlets for this event this past weekend during all the big 4th of July celebrations... Between Mark, Kate and I, we handed out almost 400 flyers, wish I had have printed more and had the energy to walk the parade... I could have handed out WAY MORE.. :P Mark really did the lions share of the work with this one as he walked the parade handing out the pamphlets we gave him.

But during the parade, I did manage to get interviewed by a member of the local press... and made the front page story of the biggest local newspaper (no photo thought :P )

Columbus Dispatch article I doubt this story will stay active long, so the link may not work if you are reading this weeks or months down the road.

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I should have just posted everything this morning.... But. since I am absent minded....

The Ship's boat has been repaired and is serviceable again... So we will be able to attack the ship from two boats (assuming Mark G is bringing the Firefly again, which I am fairly certain of). The ship's boat fits three comfortably, but can manage four.. Mark's boat fits four comfortably, but we have had 5 in it... So that is a maximum of 9 floating attackers (unless we can get another boat involved, which is a possibility).

The other thing is a web site Event web site. While the web site still needs work, it is there... If anyone has suggestions or ideas for it, please let me know.

Still trying to work out details on the ball, but a new suggestion was brought up this past weekend that is pretty good... But we will see.

Again another reminder, to those who may be willing to donate something to the cause, we are now trying to collect items for the Auction, we've collected a handful of items already, and have a few more pledged to us... So this is shaping up, but more help is always welcome and very much appreciated!

More media on this event... on The Experience Columbus web site, a travel web site focused on the city of Columbus.

Michael_banner.jpg

Can't wait!!

I should have just posted everything this morning.... But. since I am absent minded....

The Ship's boat has been repaired and is serviceable again... So we will be able to attack the ship from two boats (assuming Mark G is bringing the Firefly again, which I am fairly certain of). The ship's boat fits three comfortably, but can manage four.. Mark's boat fits four comfortably, but we have had 5 in it... So that is a maximum of 9 floating attackers (unless we can get another boat involved, which is a possibility).

The other thing is a web site Event web site. While the web site still needs work, it is there... If anyone has suggestions or ideas for it, please let me know.

Still trying to work out details on the ball, but a new suggestion was brought up this past weekend that is pretty good... But we will see.

Again another reminder, to those who may be willing to donate something to the cause, we are now trying to collect items for the Auction, we've collected a handful of items already, and have a few more pledged to us... So this is shaping up, but more help is always welcome and very much appreciated!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

• 2 weeks later...

New stuff!

First off, I have posted a tentative Participant/Re-enactor schedule and made a few other updates to the event web site overall (you'll have to read through the various sections for the updates.

Next off, the International Talk Like a Pirate party for this event is official, we are doing it! R-Bar Arena (which will be renamed to Arrrg-Bar for the night of Sept. 19th) has graciously agreed to host this party for us, and while many details need to be sorted out, they are being very cooperative with fund raising ideas for the event and other fun features for the party.

There is much more to come, this event will definitely outshine the May edition for those that came last time... And for those who didn't, well then you won't want to miss this one! :P

More updates soon!

Michael_banner.jpg

As I am planning to come and it is about 9 hours driving for me (each way), according to Google Maps . . .

Is there possible arrangements to stay somewhere Sun. night and leave Monday morning, rather than late on Sunday?

I am asking as there is likely more than just me . . .

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

As I am planning to come and it is about 9 hours driving for me (each way), according to Google Maps . . .

Is there possible arrangements to stay somewhere Sun. night and leave Monday morning, rather than late on Sunday?

You and whomever it is you're traveling with would be more than welcome to stay with us. We have a guest room. I am uncertain as of now how many people will be staying with us, but there is plenty of floor space to spread out on, and we have at least one guest bed and an air mattress (or more accessible to us). So As long as you do not require 5 star accommodations, consider yourself accommodated.

Michael_banner.jpg

You and whomever it is you're traveling with would be more than welcome to stay with us. We have a guest room. I am uncertain as of now how many people will be staying with us, but there is plenty of floor space to spread out on, and we have at least one guest bed and an air mattress (or more accessible to us). So As long as you do not require 5 star accommodations, consider yourself accommodated.

We have a guest room, also, although it only has a twin bed. On the other hand, the bed does look like a ship!

Mark

Edited by MarkG

• 4 weeks later...