Letter of Marque

PoD

PoD mate, not to take anything away from your work, your original was excellent and would be an outstanding addition to any display.

Since you are doing so much research on this, here's what I'd be interested in and perhaps others here. LoM on period correct vellum, weathered a bit, from Queen Anne dated during the War of Spanish Succession (Queen Anne's War) and made out to me. The high point of the GAoP being after Queen Anne's War up to about 1722 the document would be expired but indicate the bearer had been a privateer prior to starting the sweet trade. Such a document would make an excellent addition to my rig and greatly add to the background story for me pyrate.

OOO . . .

I would love one of those!

Whenever my finances balance back out, I want a George AND a QA one, printed on hemp or the like, and one wallet (maybe).

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool i'll have to get some hemp paper in stock. Just message me when you want them.

On a side note to the vellum discussion I have found somewhere that does fake calf vellum with the grain effect in it so i'll be printing the normal replicas on these now or Hemp paper on request.

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/produ...m-paper_091.htm

I am definately interested in doing some actual vellum replicas now as I think i may have persuaded my wife to do the calligraphy. Going to take Foxe's advice and head off down to the NAtional Archives to see some real examples.

Argghh what good is a family if you cant exploit them :wub:

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

PoD, when you get the Queen Anne LoM ready, please PM me. Can't wait! :)

OK i'll let you know. I am going for a research trip down to the national archives in London so i can try to get the Queen Anne LoM as accurate as I can.

bannerad.jpg

• 2 months later...
I just took the ageing off and printed it on plain vellum and it looks good like that too. I think thats a good idea to sell new looking ones as well as aged ones depending on who wants them.

Would you share the results of the sales of "new" documents, if you don't mind? I am all curious to see how it affects your sales now.

Just to update Mission on the sales so far, I have sold about 15 aged Letters of Marque now and only one non-aged document. So it seems that up to yet the eBay audience prefers the aged look. I'll have a better Idea of how the sales compare when I get my own website up and running in January and start to cater for a more discerning customer.

I still havent got to the National Archives yet to look at the Queen Anne Letters of Marque but hopefully I will get there before xmas. May also check out other Monarchs Letters of Marque from the GaoP period.

I have now sourced a supplier for real Vellum and bought my wife a new calligraphy set ready for creating a period correct copy. I have a feeling I may need a bigger seal stamp for the wax but thats something i'll find out after my trip down to London.

bannerad.jpg

Well, do not give up on the non-aged ones just yet! I still want t' get one; but right now me recent move has strapped me finances tighter then a bilge spider's last web strand...(but I hear I may have some Spaniards what live down th' road from me now...Bwhahahahaha HA!)

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my letter of marque today. It's LOVELY!! the leather wallet is beautiful, and the paper (vellum, whatever) is really nifty looking. I LOVE IT! And will definitely be showing it off at our events. =) THANK YOU!

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

I just got my letter of marque today. It's LOVELY!! the leather wallet is beautiful, and the paper (vellum, whatever) is really nifty looking. I LOVE IT! And will definitely be showing it off at our events. =) THANK YOU!

You are very welcome. Glad you like it :)

I'll be showing off the neckerchief and snapsack you made as soon as I find an event to wear em too

bannerad.jpg

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

glad to have helped a bit

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I just took the ageing off and printed it on plain vellum and it looks good like that too. I think thats a good idea to sell new looking ones as well as aged ones depending on who wants them.

Would you share the results of the sales of "new" documents, if you don't mind? I am all curious to see how it affects your sales now.

Just to update Mission on the sales so far, I have sold about 15 aged Letters of Marque now and only one non-aged document. So it seems that up to yet the eBay audience prefers the aged look. I'll have a better Idea of how the sales compare when I get my own website up and running in January and start to cater for a more discerning customer.

Interesting. See, I think this is sort of proof that the romanticized movie pirates will always be with us. (Unless there is some huge shift in the general pop culture to strict realism. Even then, such shifts are rarely total.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Does it really Mission? Maybe folks just like the "old, antique" look better because it blends in better with the house decor... after all does one really know why they are being purchased?

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

True. I guess further research would be needed as to what folks are doing with them.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Yes'r... While I forgot to specify non-aged... I have the aged one and it looks really cool... It doesn't look ancient. More like I had it in my hand and fell over the railing and the ink did a little bleeding, or some other coloring got on it and when I tried to dry it out it got messed up. I was ironing some linen the other day that was really wet with hubby's iron (yes, we have separate irons- one for his uniforms and one for my sewing) and it scorched the wet linen in a way that somewhat resembles this letter.

I think at some point I'll try to get my hands on a "new-ish" one, and frame this one for our piratical dining room. =) It's purdy.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle