aging a replica flintlock pistol

Gunpowder Gertie

I took my Denix replica, which just looked too new..and also I hated the skull and crossbones on the grip.

I decided to repaint it to look old, my pirate persona's name is Dirty Gertie, so I wanted to reflect that in her choice of weapons.

First I used a letter opener and just tapped it around the wood to give scratches and wear marks.

I used black acrylic paint, and rubbed it into the stock. Then I used a combination of metallic bronze, burnt umber and burnt sienna and dabbed it on, and then wiped it off to give it a rusty, well used look.

I tried to keep in mind where the wear would be, around the trigger, and on the grip. Then I rubbed the paint off with a wet cloth, and a bit of fine sandpaper. It looked pretty dry by now, so I rubbed a bit o' vaseline into the wood to give it an aged patina.Then I used Ben Nye charcoal powder to simulate the gunpowder residue on the barrel and frizzen..

I'd appreciate any comments you have, since I actually have never held, or seen up close a flintlock pistol that'd been fired before.

Lady Barbossa saw my efforts and also assisted with the gunpowder residue information - and then suggested I post it here.

All told, I was very happy with the way it turned out.

I looked at some museum pieces in a reference book- and noticed a blunderbuss which had initials carved in the stock. I thought that would be a great thing for this pistol too, to add some authenticity.

so:

Here it is before:

gertiesgunbefore.jpg

and here it is after:

gertieFlintlockSmall.jpg

Please feel free to move this, if I got it in the wrong forum...

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Ya done GOOOOD !!! A huge improvement over the original. You made the metal parts actually resemble slightly rusted steel. The only other thing I could suggest would be to give the wood a soft gloss so that it appears to have been handled a lot. I think a coat of Kiwi Neutral shoe polish buffed to a soft sheen would work nicely. You should avoid a real glossy varnished look. The shoe polish finish will show handling wear after a while and look even better.

>>>>> Cascabel

Good job!

I was thinking about dressing up a brace of those so that I would have something to wear when I go to events that don't allow real weapons.

(I'm drunk too, but not as drunk as Bilge Munky)

Edited by CaptainSatan

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

Yay! She made it!

Aye, splendid piece, isn't it? I've half th' mind to send her my fake pistol to tarnish. LOL

But again, Gertie... ye did fabulous, lass! I'm beyond impressed... :::falls down at her feet and worships::: the gun make-over queen!

Bilgemunky... you and I... next event... drinking contest... what ye say? I hold my liquer all to well and don't get drunk easily. :::Evil grinz:::

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

nice job !! the removal of the skull and crossbones, and all the aging certainly give it a used, one of a kind look..

unfortunately, with some festivals, that would be the closest thing to a real gun that you could carry... wouldn't it be cool if some were skeptical that is is a fake ??

Bilgemunky... you and I... next event... drinking contest... what ye say? I hold my liquer all to well and don't get drunk easily. :::Evil grinz:::

Ironically me and mates refer to excessive alcohol consumption as "killing monkeys".

The term came about from corporate/social drinking with our Japanese and Korean associates.

They would become offended if we did not drink enough alcohol to kill a monkey. Besides the

benefit of having your company buy you your drinks. The philosophy is that after you bond (drink together)

and become friends. Then it is OK for you to do business together.

Back to the topic... Has anyone tried polishing Denix before?

It looks soft and squishy like pewter. And it seems like it would

be an easy metal to polish.

Any comments?

Edited by CaptainSatan

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ahh Tis a fine pieceO' work Lass, tis nice enough to try it out on one a me real ones, and for those were we cant or shant carry a brace a sure firin weapons, my true irons can be got with not a chance of shot escapin, eye non-firin for those places who don want it.

And wit my deals a showin ther heads, ye kin buy 2 a the same - one fer showin and one fer blowin'then ye can always carry yer piece, and always have to same kit

Asolfr

Captain of the Blacktyde

Purveyor of Asolfr's Workshoppe

"If I don't have it, i'll find it

If I can't find it, i'll make it

If I can't make it, I'll steal it"

So says Asolfr the Pirate

Funny thing it is , i was looking a new suppliers catalog (1 1/2 ich thick), there she was your denix i had to laugh out loud , your surly does put the original to shame lass, you be proud a yourself

Asolfr

Captain of the Blacktyde

Purveyor of Asolfr's Workshoppe

"If I don't have it, i'll find it

If I can't find it, i'll make it

If I can't make it, I'll steal it"

So says Asolfr the Pirate