batteaus

Dutchman

consider yerself stopped....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

so anyone know anything about batteaus? I feel another project, someone stop me. Its so close to me yet my plate is full. something would have to go.

http://www.batteau.org/

One of the last RevWar events I did was the batteau thing on the James River. The Americans were falling back, and we were providing transport. We'd pole our way over to the bank. The infantry would wade over to the boat and clamber aboard. Then we'd pole them to the far side of the river. While they were firing at the Brits! Imagine a whole boat load of infantry firing salvos across the river! Awesome! We had so many troops on board it was standing room only. What a blast!

As for knowing something about them in a historical fashion... no. But one of my archaeologist friends at work was the guy who excavated the one that these are based on.

Oh, the guy who owned the boat I was on... he was Oddball from Kelly's Heroes. I swear it. No kidding.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Oh, the guy who owned the boat I was on... he was Oddball from Kelly's Heroes. I swear it. No kidding.

Donald 'that's my other dog impression' Sutherland? :unsure: Awesome!

I always knew he was a legend, but he's gone up in my estimation...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I mean a colonial shoal water canal batteu. I know where there is literally a boatload of oak!

oi sterling- this event goes right by yer lillypad!

Edited by bbcddutchman

Donald 'that's my other dog impression' Sutherland? :unsure: Awesome!

I always knew he was a legend, but he's gone up in my estimation...

Oh, sorry. I actually was kidding.

Doh!

:P

But the guy was totally Oddball in his demeanor and appearance. Seriously. We were supposed to being going to pick up our first load of troops, and we were just hanging back in the comfy spot on the river soakin' up some rays.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Welll Dutch...

I'm gonna back Sterling in the stopping of you from the reckless course of action...

But since you brought up Batteau, I found This Quote some time ago in some colonial archives, which document the use of Batteaus to our period (the quote is from 1711)...

Michael, stopping and encouraging in the same breath? :P:P

That's like "Born to Kill" written on your helmet and a "Peace Sign" on yer flak jacket ......... :P

Symbolizing the Duality of Man, eh :unsure:

Dutch, I too know the feeling of a too full plate ..... get a bigger plate .... 'course there aren't enough hours in the day to "clean yer plate".

This oak you mentioned .... is it sawn an' dry? Perhaps we can make a trade an' ye can keep yer check. :P:P

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

I mean a colonial shoal water canal batteu. I know where there is literally a boatload of oak!

oi sterling- this event goes right by yer lillypad!

are we bringing the Explorer? we shall discuss tonight or at burn camp... um... remind me we have other things to cover this weekend as well...

Not that you are actually getting this message right now, as you are most likely on the road...so basically, I'm talking to myself right now... ack spent way too much time with Cousin Robbie on Sunday.... God, I seriously need some sleep....

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

...i have to play devils advocate........do it dutch..ddoo itt..... one thing though, are you wanting just to go, or build a boat for next year? Building a batteau would be quite the wonderful undertaking! Personally iv been trying to get to this festival for the past 2 years lol(well at least watch at the finish that is)

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........