Pirate Art & Comics

redhand

I'm just kinda curious

How many of you seadogs & Buccaneers out there

either collect or have any artwork (orginals or prints)

that are Naval, piratical or historical in nature,

or are even remotely interested in art.

What about "comic" artwork, any of you swabs have

any pirate comics or art? I'm always interested in that

format, I've never seen any myself, though I've heard somebody

had done some pirate comics recently. I have some old magazines

from the late 20's early 30's that have illustrated Rapheal Sabatini

stories in them. Just kinda curious to see what everybodies

interests are as far as art goes

I myself have a few pieces of original art, and would like

to have some orginal pirate pieces, Don Maitz's stuff is cool,

so is Angus McBrides, unfortunately out of my price range-LOL!

Redhand

:ph34r:

You have to check out Richard Becker's comics series. I know he has a web site, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

I happen to own a rubber art stamp company that specializes in rubber stamps of pirate themes, sea life, mermaids, etc. (Even have some designs by our own Jamaica Rose.) Rubber stamp hobbyists use the stamps to create artwork, anything from greeting cards to jewelry.

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

there is a lot of really good comic style art that has come out of the 7th sea collectible card game(ccg).I'm just getting into the card game and have found lots of the original art from the sets for sale online.the sets are no longer being printed,but still seem to be common enough and have not skyrocketed in price yet.

there are also two 7th sea comic series;"prelude to ruin" a three issue mini series(2001) and "absolution" (2001) a four issue mini series.havn't got my hands on them yet,but if they are anything like the cards,they'll be great.

my favorite card is shellbacks by edward p. beard jr.

here is a list of some of my favorite artists from the 7th sea card sets;

april lee

jim callahan

michael apice

raven mimura

ben peck

christina wald

craig maher

william o'connor

jennifer wick

john matson

paul herbert

diana vick

scott james

I also have one print of a female pirate captain by james wappel not related to 7th sea.

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

I'd be interested in seeing more pirate art!

BTW, there's an exhibit currently at the Disney Gallery (above the POTC ride) featuring art (sketches, watercolors, sculptures too) used during the design of the ride. There's also a related movie exhibit.

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Hey Pirate queen, that's cool, I'm sure

the scan doesn't do it the justice it deserves.

I'd love to get down to see the POTC exhibit

at the Disneyland gallery, I'm hoping they have

a small book or booklet out that's for sale

on the exhibit.

as far as art goes, I don't know if I have any pirate

images up on my website or not. But i'm hoping to

do some more as soon as I get a chance.

If you want to check it out it's

www.prechtelfineart.com

you have to click in the painting then pick a name

my page is the "jeff" page

I'll have to check out the pirate comics, as in buying some they look cool

Redhand

:(www,prechtelfineart.com

this site has pictures of april lee's art work

http://members.tripod.com/~AprilLee/

go to the colletiblr card game art gallery and then to 7th sea

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

I'm not into many of the comics, but, I am always on the lookout for various art work. I have found several pieces of art from local ren fairs and have seen a number of reproduction pieces of Howard Pyle and the Delaware pirate festival. Because of the large number of works we already have, I have now taken to looking for as much as possible in smaller form and have even found various books that are simply filled with great art. I do like the art of Howard Pyle a lot. I know that some of it is not "historically Acurate", but, who cares? Iyt's what I like. Arghhhhh The Capt.

We have a few pieces of nautical pr piratical art, just decorative stuff; we are not really collectors but just have some for wall decorations.

Have one of Blackbeard in his final battle, another of the Baratoarians, and a few drawings of medieval ships that we still have to hang. Also have a couple of Confederate Navy pieces, and a copy of sailing ships in battle, a naval cannon, and one of US Marines in action in the 19th century.

Capt. William

:(

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

• 2 weeks later...

going back to pirate comics. I remember reading a Witchblade comic where they were showing the various owners of the Blade. One of the story arches involved a female pirate captain getting a hold of the Blade. It was a standard form story, with the woman trying to find the treasure before some other guys did, and it was told from her perspective. Total fluff, but being a Witchblade fan and also being a pirate fan I was quite happy with it. B)

I have that issue of Witchblade. It's pretty cool. Witchblade is part of Rackham's crew....I forget, but she might even be Mary Read. Anne is there too of course. The "enemy" pirates are Blackbeard and his crew. If I get a chance I'll scan and post some shots here.

I also have a very cool Batman issue. I forget the exact name as it was a short running series of "alternate" histories of Batman. This issue is set in the Golden Age of Piracy. Batman is sort of like Capt. Blood - a wronged noble slumming it with pirates and is out for revenge. The Joker is the enemy pirate captain. It's pretty cool actually. Robin is this young wharf rat pickpocket who befriends Bruce Wayne.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

*ears perk up at the mention of Batman/pirate alt universe* *drools* *prepares to hit my local comic book dealer and search for booty*

*then paws through my pics and what not* *thinks* hmm.. found a scrimshaw kit.

oh, and there was a comic book out there called Jenny Finn(I think that was the title) It was a call of Cthulu type book, but I thought it was neat 'cuz well of Cthulu, but also because the story took place in a small sea side fishing town. There was a salt old Captain, the hero was a young sailor. The pictures kind of had that scrimshaw feel to it, well with something that had gone terribly wrong.

The moral of the story was something like: if you cut open an UGLY looking fish and there's a nekkid 16 year old girl in there, even if you have been out to sea for 9 months, it's just not worth it.

oh, and there's Disney's comic books, occasionally you find Captain Hook in there. Oh! Tangent, but there's the Disney Villian Dolls...*purrs* Captain Hook. he's so sezzy!

It seems to me that Robin would've made a better

"cabin boy" to Bruce Wayne's pirate captain, but hey that's just

my twisted & sick observation on the whole storyline of the

"unmarried millionare, who can't keep a steady adult relationship

while continuing to live with an 18 year old boy" thing!

Just call me Capt. Freud B)

Redhand

B)

The moral of the story was something like: if you cut open an UGLY looking fish and there's a nekkid 16 year old girl in there, even if you have been out to sea for 9 months, it's just not worth it.

I am SOOOOOOOOOO laughing my ass off!!!

you have a WICKED sense of humour and I would just love to get you an Capt Luigi in the same room with meself and a bunch of cabin boys.oh the fun we'd all have.

B)B)B)

Ms. Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Redhand: ooh. and a 'appy early birthy type day for ya. *searches around for me pirate shot glass and fills it all the way to the top* Slainte!

Ms. Cptn Weaver: *perks up at the word cabin boys* *is reminded of the most horrible movie by that name* *arches an eyebrow and then grins* so then would we have at the end of the night a few cabin men?

And on the Pirate Art thread....

There's an artist named NeNe Thomas who has a most wonderful print called "Cossair" if you like a swashbuckling pirate type with a hint of fantasy I'd recommend it. She's got fire lizards. though I hear that iffn' you go to the clinic you can get rid of that.

Charity-

well, lets see if I can keep from double postin this time-LOL!!

Thanks fer the early birthday wishes & salutations!

I'll be sure ta hoist a glass to ya on my birthday...

As fer those cabin boys.....I think they're best left ta

you & Mrs. Capt Weaver :D

Fire Lizards? That sounds like somethin ta seek a surgeon over :D

I'd like ta see the print tho, do ya have a link?

I want ta get down ta Disneyland to see the exhibit at the gallery

on the POTC, but doesn't look like it'll happen this year.

I'm hopin' they have a catalogue or book for sale on the pirate exhibit.

If not , I guess I'll have ta satisfy myself by drawing my own pirates,

might even do one ta give away at my party!

Gee, t-shirts & art for my guests....I thought I was spose ta get the presents-LOL :ph34r:

Oh well, another dram fer me & the good captain!

Redhand

I s'pose you could do worse than "Lady Rawhide," Zorro's girlfriend. I haven't heard much from her lately. She was quite the whip-slinger and swashbuckler. You might find some older comics...who knows? Maybe new ones, too.

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Redhand:

*pokes at this internet thingy* Mrr... er I mean Arrrrrrgh! *tries to kick it* bah

well the main web site is http://www.nenethomas.com/ and the title of the piece is called Corsair.

from the main page go to "Gallery" then to limited & Open edition prints, it's located about half way down the page.

*peeks through the merchendice page* *faints* *quivers* mermaids....*gets very much distacted with that train of thought*

Charity-

Wow, she's got some cool artwork.

Really liked the black & white work, it reminded

me of Patrick Nagel's work. Nice clean lines.

I enjoyed the design aspect of it, and the

Mermaid piece was cool too!

Mermaids :ph34r:

Maybe I'll have ta give drawing one of them a shot!-LOL

(raises eyebrow in thought, grins-uuumm, thinkin hurts!)

Thanks for the link

Cheers

Redhand

Capt Westin-

Boy, Lady Rawhide......

Seems ta me that's goin' back to "ye olde comic vault"

if I'm rememberin correctly. Wasn't she a female whip carryin'

version of the Rawhide Kid?, or is my bilge pump backed up???? :ph34r:

Redhand