Captain Sterling's New Cutlass

1stMate Matt

As many of you know I have been commisioned to make the great pirate hunter a special cutlass.

SOLD17THCENTURYENGLISHNAVALOFFICERS.jpg

I was asked to make my version of this sword.

I started with a 12" inch piece of rod that used to be an upright on 100 year old Trolley car.

l_abffe77e47b2426daa4bf65c8eab5205.jpg

I then hot forged the D-ring shape.

l_ee5e129ec1a644f0a93b4dc51af17d33.jpg

l_7bf866b13f684668810d6fa9a5c8451f.jpg

l_ce18c1e2478c4c4489f9eb8c0b57b89a.jpg

I didnt get any pictures of the start of the blade. What I did was I double fullered it on the backside. I used the edge of my sander and just took my time. I then ground the blade to shape and heat treated it. During the HT we cycled the blade a few times to get it good in scaled in the fullers.

I then added the details to the guard. I did most of this on the sander but some was forged in.

l_0d367bf6253c414bbae0b5225f48c60d.jpg

l_4432e21ffaad4c5998e995e9523ce099.jpg

I was a little off with the detail on the knuckle bow. I would have liked it to have been more in the center.

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

Here you can see the blade after heat treat and in 120 grit polish.

l_667845b1b6194a9aac4b6f489ae1f446.jpg

l_fc5b431dde5e4c66945afaddea6da4f0.jpg

l_8553f19ae792410993895d6849a8ef7a.jpg

l_69fc1fa375634b14bfa20507b9ee4109.jpg

I then cut the clamshell out on our Plasma cutter. I dished it in our screwpress and then chisseled the lines by hand. I left the finish nice and pitted and then gave it a light wirewheel finish with a buff afterwards.

I also cut a piece of wenge and started on the handle. I wanted to do an antler handle but I didnt have time to get any. I think the wenge turned out beautiful. I sanded it about 50% of the way to final shape then I drilled and slotted the inside of the handle to fit on the tang. This process takes awhile and it helps to have some nice small chissels to help out. I custom made some small chissels but you can buy them. I then finished the shaping of the handle on a finer grit on sander. You can see the subtle detail in the wood. Nice fine stripes...Love it!

l_d5be479f38654f0983c86047425a8899.jpg

l_ba54e02b911d460b96f8543e48676d14.jpg

l_11c9742e8ee946a6b424e7eba508a377.jpg

Here you can see all the parts ready to be put together. For stage combat swords like this I prefer to weld the clamshell on instead of the tradational rivets.

l_794ae1d6578c4627bac307757fb28c2e.jpg

thatworks.shop

I then made a little nut for the end I tapped it .25" and added threads on the tang and screwed it all together. Some people prefer a peened sword but I find that its nice to be able to tighten up the fit after fighting with it.

thatworks.shop

If you like the pictures wait till ya see the actual piece, It is sooo sweet! I was lucky enough to hold it before it was presented to Captain Sterling and it is absolutely world class craftsmanship. I loved the wood handle, it is much more comfortable to me than wire or leather wrap. I look forward to Matt's future work and hope he continues to do more with exotic woods! Great work Matt!

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

Very nice work, indeed 1stMate Matt! Impressive amount of time and effort that went into that, no doubt.

With any luck, I am sure that Captain Sterling is sleeping with his new pride and joy as we speak!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Heh, heh, heh,

mine, mine, mine... and she is a beauty...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Heh, heh, heh,

mine, mine, mine... and she is a beauty...

Well deserved and well done!

So is she stage or combat ready???

And when can rats get himself one???

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Yea she is good for light stage use. I wouldnt go beating on it hard and often. The reason we use leather for the handles most often over wood is because wood will eventually break. Its bound to happen.

I am open to take orders now that can be delivered in 30 days or so.

Glad you like it Capt.

thatworks.shop

Matt, is there a reason you put the shell guard down as a sword catcher, rather than up as a knuckle protector? I know it's an old and tired discussion, but I've always preferred the knuckle protector, so I'm interested in why people choose the other style. I choose up for two reasons. One, I think esthetically, it keeps the sweep of the blade intact, rather than putting a barrier to the shape. Two, being that I do a lot of stage and reeanctment combat, I find it protects my hand better. Inquiring minds want to know.

Absolutely drop dead gorgeous work. My compliments.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Matt, is there a reason you put the shell guard down as a sword catcher, rather than up as a knuckle protector? I know it's an old and tired discussion, but I've always preferred the knuckle protector, so I'm interested in why people choose the other style. I choose up for two reasons. One, I think esthetically, it keeps the sweep of the blade intact, rather than putting a barrier to the shape. Two, being that I do a lot of stage and reeanctment combat, I find it protects my hand better. Inquiring minds want to know.

Absolutely drop dead gorgeous work. My compliments.

Hawkyns

Yea, there is a quite simple reason why I put the shell that way on this piece... that is the way the customer wanted it. :) Best answer I can give. Both pictures that Sterling provided me were of swords with the shell facing that way.

I myself most often put the shell or plate covering the hand. I like it both ways though. 2 different styles of protection and I have found both to be as good as the other in combat.

Often you see "hunt" swords with the clamshell towards the blade. This would stop an animal from slipping up the blade to get to your hand.

I think I took a picture of it on the other way. I will see if I can find it.

thatworks.shop

mine, mine, mine...

LOL, reminds me of the seagulls in Finding Nemo.

But very nice indeed Captain, a beautiful piece.

Outstanding work Matt.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

she's a beaut, and she's going to one of the greatest spokesmen the world of pyracy has ever known.

She's in good hands, and a better pair I know not.

great job, Matt, and she's gonna look great on your baldric, Sterling!

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

As we chatted in Hampton lad, that is some gorgeous work! it has a great feel in the hand and the detailing on the back of the blade is quite well done. Sterling, you got yourself a beautiful weapon there. Congratulations on a job well done Matt! Hope you post more pics!!!!

I got to hold it ...feel it ...play with it before the captain! Hahahaha ...sometimes I don't have the typical luck of the Irish that I have long lived with! Don't tell the captain, he will make me pay for it. :unsure:

Fionnsignturea.png?t=1252109128

I got to hold it ...feel it ...play with it before the captain! Hahahaha ...sometimes I don't have the typical luck of the Irish that I have long lived with! Don't tell the captain, he will make me pay for it. ;)

Ha! He should just make you do some of the hand stitching on the objects of trade for this here sword.

thatworks.shop

• 2 weeks later...