a sort of knife...

LadyBrower

I found this at an antique shop this morning. I thought it looked kind of cool, and I wonder if it is/ resembles something PC and what it actually is, it looks to me like a butcher knife of sorts...

100_2116.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Going by the curve of the back of the blade, and the hole in it, plus the handle shape, I think it looks like a well-worn butcher's cleaver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cleaver_(PSF).jpg

>>>>> Cascabel

uh huh!

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

• 2 weeks later...

That is definately a type meat cleaver. I have been looking for an antique one like that for a while for my kit.

Cleavers are PC, but finding text to support that, or images to confirm that are few and far between.

Here are some of the few references I have found that mentions cleavers during the period we protray.

1)

A French Connection Psychic crime-solving dates back at least 300 years, judging from one published account from a government-appointed commission in 17th-century France. In July 1692, a wine merchant and his wife in Lyons were brutally murdered with a meat cleaver during the course of a burglary.

I could not find any reference to support the mentioned crime in the above paragraph found on a site discussing Psychic crimes.

Old Stone Mill - Contruction approx 1675

http://www.quahog.org/attractions/index.php?id=48

An extensive archaeological dig in 1949 uncovered some 20,000 artifacts, including a fragment of a rusty meat cleaver, bits of clay pipe, a horse tooth, and coins. Additionally, bits of grinding stones, a gunflint, and, believe it or not, a footprint, were found. The grinding stones seemed to lend credence to the theory that the tower had been used as a grist mill, and the Colonial-style shoeprint, found in a layer of clay deeper than the tower's footings, should have decided the question of the tower's builders for good. But it didn't, and investigations continued.

Edited by captjustinkase

Captain Justin Kase

Captain of the Dread Pyrate Ship SeaMonkey

Beloved of Anya Kase

Also Known As Silverback, The Naughty Bard

Quixotic Pyrate of the Desert Seas

Lots of documentation on cooking, but not very much on cooking utensils.

I have not experienced many folks putting my cooking utensils under much scrutiny becasue of this.

It has been generally accepted if it looks heavy and "old" then it passes PC inspection.

Edited by captjustinkase

Captain Justin Kase

Beloved of Anya Kase

It has been generally accepted if it looks heavy and "old" then it passes PC inspection.

True, but on the other hand, most original kitchen utensils that I have handled (granted, late 18th and early 19th century) are much like the swords of the period... Lightweight, finely crafted tools...

If I had to guess, I'd say that is a circa 1880-1930 meat cleaver... However, I'm sure it would be passable to the average event jury...

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

True, but on the other hand, most original kitchen utensils that I have handled (granted, late 18th and early 19th century) are much like the swords of the period... Lightweight, finely crafted tools...

If I had to guess, I'd say that is a circa 1880-1930 meat cleaver... However, I'm sure it would be passable to the average event jury...

Eeek. That's a LITTLE out of period, unless it does look like the same from the early 1700's...

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Eeek. That's a LITTLE out of period, unless it does look like the same from the early 1700's...

Here are some web resources with images that might help.

http://www.mamalisa.com/blog/domestic-life...e-17th-century/

Talks about cooking in colonial times, and some of the images show knives similar to meat cleavers

Here is also an image of colonial cooking utensils. There also seems to be a cleaver like blade in the bunch.

206510-main_Full.jpg

It came from a sight about the jamestown colony.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16277/16277-h/16277-h.htm

I hope these help.

Edited by captjustinkase

Captain Justin Kase

Beloved of Anya Kase

• 2 weeks later...