After Action Review

Rats

What, no tornado this year? :P

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Politics entirely aside I think it was a great event. My administrative responsibilities spooled down to 10% after Friday night and I could return to being an entertainer all day Saturday and Sunday. I loved all of our sets - everyone is so responsive and supportive. CD sales were good on Saturday and the audiences were good all around. The weather held all night Friday, until 5:00 on Saturday and after a morning shower was gorgeoous on Sunday.

MerryDeath, I'm sorry we never crossed paths all weekend. I did not see you at either morning meeting so I couldn't publically thank you for all of your assistance in getting the event in order. I hope you had a positive experience.

I met a bunch of really great people, revisited a bunch of great friends that I see too seldom and really did have the best of times. I hope everyone else enjoyed themselves.

Dean Calin

(Cap'n Jake)

Bounding Main

www.boundingmain.com

Well, Sea Rover, the lads and I just got home - we stayed an extra night and took the long way home so as to visit the Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc. It turned out to be a great weekend, even though we had some trouble from the start (I forgot a few necessary pieces of my garb and my largest table for our Thieves Market booth). On the drive down, our youngest son came down with the flu so he spent Friday and most of Saturday out of commission in the hotel room. I did enjoy the Buccaneer Bash & the band at the Holiday Inn on Friday night. Saturday's weather was cold and windy but we did well at our sales table. I was too cold and tired Saturday night to venture out, which was a shame since I didn't get to drink with all the folks I wanted to. Sunday was nicer and the article-signing table was busier than the sales booth. The parade went great and the sun came out just in time for the event to be over. But we got some good pictures, sold some pirate stuff, bought some pirate stuff and had a great time.

That's my tale, in a nutshell. Hopefully we'll have a few pictures to post soon.

no teapot dance.. Master Rats wasnt' at the bash as far as I knew.. I did help with wine and beer sales for a while, and no not just for my comsumption!!

I would like to thank my crew for showing up and working above and beyond the call of duty. I know the few of us (and some of the crew were down with plague) helped out with the fest at the booths and helping move things, getting things, the invasion, and more then once, tasting the grog to make sure it was still good. I am so proud of all of you for showing top spirit and style!!

my cruise director Kris was working with your fest crew as volunteer coordinator, and so had several large hats to wear this weekend. I am very proud of you taking this task on and being so on top of it.. sorry the camping was a bit cold and wet.

Yes the weather was cold, but i'll take that over very hot. It was a bit surprising to have a day of 70 and then 45 the next, tho

I did miss meeting some of you, Dean, it was great to see you again, and Bounding Main too..

i heard someone got caught red-handed and I dont mean Jill... anyone want to comment on that besides me?? its sad when that happens to spoile a fest.. pirates caught stealing could be taken off ship and marooned or even tossed oerboard. Just an idea....

also, I had a nice pair of red earrings taken from my table. I hope the lass will wear them with style and class..

...the cold... and rain... and some interesting occurances!!

Anyone want to start??

What? No Teapot Dance this year?

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

we actually did cross paths a few times, but always at a run! Its a busy weekend all around. The best thing I did was coordinate phones so a few people could get in touch with the others.. I guess I was the operator.. lol

good to work with you all again, and see your smiling, piraty smiles.. cheers!!

Politics entirely aside I think it was a great event. My administrative responsibilities spooled down to 10% after Friday night and I could return to being an entertainer all day Saturday and Sunday. I loved all of our sets - everyone is so responsive and supportive. CD sales were good on Saturday and the audiences were good all around. The weather held all night Friday, until 5:00 on Saturday and after a morning shower was gorgeoous on Sunday.

MerryDeath, I'm sorry we never crossed paths all weekend. I did not see you at either morning meeting so I couldn't publically thank you for all of your assistance in getting the event in order. I hope you had a positive experience.

I met a bunch of really great people, revisited a bunch of great friends that I see too seldom and really did have the best of times. I hope everyone else enjoyed themselves.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

no teapot dance.. Master Rats wasnt' at the bash as far as I knew.. I did help with wine and beer sales for a while, and no not just for my comsumption!!

I would like to thank my crew for showing up and working above and beyond the call of duty. I know the few of us (and some of the crew were down with plague) helped out with the fest at the booths and helping move things, getting things, the invasion, and more then once, tasting the grog to make sure it was still good. I am so proud of all of you for showing top spirit and style!!

my cruise director Kris was working with your fest crew as volunteer coordinator, and so had several large hats to wear this weekend. I am very proud of you taking this task on and being so on top of it.. sorry the camping was a bit cold and wet.

Yes the weather was cold, but i'll take that over very hot. It was a bit surprising to have a day of 70 and then 45 the next, tho

I did miss meeting some of you, Dean, it was great to see you again, and Bounding Main too..

i heard someone got caught red-handed and I dont mean Jill... anyone want to comment on that besides me?? its sad when that happens to spoile a fest.. pirates caught stealing could be taken off ship and marooned or even tossed oerboard. Just an idea....

also, I had a nice pair of red earrings taken from my table. I hope the lass will wear them with style and class..

...the cold... and rain... and some interesting occurances!!

Anyone want to start??

What? No Teapot Dance this year?

Since I work with thieves and criminals everyday, I personally will not tolerate them when I'm off duty! They make all of us look bad in the vendor's and organizer's eyes. Upon confirmation from official sources, I'm sure that the result of the Archangel Crewe will be that of participation exile from future events.

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

??? no idea what that meant... elaborate?

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

??? no idea what that meant... elaborate?

Simple.. sticky hands can't be trusted. Therefore they won't get to participate in events we host.

sig2.jpg

Wish I could have been there. :rolleyes: :::sniffles:::

Glad the lot of ye had fun. I had hoped that the weather was not so rough like it had been the past two years. Glad it was a tad bit more cooperative.

Sorry to hear about the troubles. T'was definitely not I... I t'wasn't there. :lol:

So... Rats... I presume ye had a charmingly fun Bday nonetheless?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Say, does anyone know who won the drawing on Sunday? Merrydeath, Bess, Blackthorne, Jake? I want to make sure they HAD a drawing, since I bought tickets...

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

coomon.....someone ellaborate!?!?!...this suspense is killin me!?!?!

What raffle???

Hellfire, I just wanted a shirt from the fest!!

sig2.jpg

According to the festival producer and the police report one of the recent but regular particpants on this discussion site, indeed this event's threads, had the audacity to try to lift a flask from one of the vendors on Saturday afternoon. He got caught, the police were on him, and the only reason he didn't go to jail is that the vendor was from California and couldn't return to witness the theft in court. It was reported to me that he was drunk and that he had friends with him from California that were mortified by the events. This fellow was banned from the festival; his friends from California were told they were free to return without him.

I am appalled at this person's behavior. It is not simply that someone lifted an item from a vendor; shrinkage is a sad part of vending - it is that it was ONE OF OUR OWN. This wasn't a foolish teen on a spree, it was not someone in need, it was a costumed, self-titled pirate afficianado that regularly participates on this discussion board. This, as someone else pointed out, makes us ALL look bad. The vendor, understandably, started sharing with all of his neighbors "I was just ripped off by one of those pirates!" That rumor thing spreads all around, the police report is published in the paper and then next year it may become THAT MUCH HARDER for the producer to get permits to use the park, may have to pay for security out of the show budget, will have to work that much harder to bring in much needed vendors to a vending area with a "security problem."

After I receive confirmation that the name on the police report transfers to his online persona I will make his name available here as a warning to everyone else involved with him as to what kind of a person he has shown himself to be. Unless he wishes to offer his side of the story to everyone first.

Dean Calin

(Cap'n Jake)

Bounding Main

www.boundingmain.com

Actually Jake, we know the real deal, as one of our crew witnessed the ousting and spoke with the vendor.

It's just that many of us were waiting for confirmation and to see if he had the honor to admit to the infraction and bow out like a man or leave with his tail between his legs.

Still, I hope his friends came back and had fun just the same!

Cheers and here's to everyone.

BTW: loved your afternoon set! Those twins are simply stunning!!

According to the festival producer and the police report one of the recent but regular particpants on this discussion site, indeed this event's threads, had the audacity to try to lift a flask from one of the vendors on Saturday afternoon. He got caught, the police were on him, and the only reason he didn't go to jail is that the vendor was from California and couldn't return to witness the theft in court. It was reported to me that he was drunk and that he had friends with him from California that were mortified by the events. This fellow was banned from the festival; his friends from California were told they were free to return without him.

I am appalled at this person's behavior. It is not simply that someone lifted an item from a vendor; shrinkage is a sad part of vending - it is that it was ONE OF OUR OWN. This wasn't a foolish teen on a spree, it was not someone in need, it was a costumed, self-titled pirate afficianado that regularly participates on this discussion board. This, as someone else pointed out, makes us ALL look bad. The vendor, understandably, started sharing with all of his neighbors "I was just ripped off by one of those pirates!" That rumor thing spreads all around, the police report is published in the paper and then next year it may become THAT MUCH HARDER for the producer to get permits to use the park, may have to pay for security out of the show budget, will have to work that much harder to bring in much needed vendors to a vending area with a "security problem."

After I receive confirmation that the name on the police report transfers to his online persona I will make his name available here as a warning to everyone else involved with him as to what kind of a person he has shown himself to be. Unless he wishes to offer his side of the story to everyone first.

sig2.jpg

First of all, I must say that I am truly sorry for my actions.

Not just because I did something completely horrific and stupid, but because of all of the steam I had going about how I want to help the midwest and such, but because what I did directly hurt everyone involved. It hurt the vendor themselves, it hurt the festival and it hurt its patrons. I can never fully live with that. Especially if I have now endangered the festival from ever happening again. Needless to say, if it does continue after this, you will not see my face there again.

The question why it happened no longer matters here.

The facts are there, we all know about it.

There were witnesses, speculations, accusations and now my confession.

I do have enough humility to admit to the travesties I have laid upon all of the involved parties. I will not tuck my tail and run.

I want to publicly out myself on my own behalf, for it is the right thing to do anyway. There need not be rumors.

I did steal the flask from the vendor. It is the biggest mistake I have ever made in my entire life. I have never stolen anything from anyone.

I really hope that you all can find it within yourselves to accept this apology.

If anyone wants to speak to me about this, I will answer any private messages about it.

~CTB

I could say a lot but I won't.

~Lady B

what i heard was confirmed by your statements......

i do feel sorry for your perdicament.....all the good you were attempting as been in vain with this latest action. from someone who is from the midwest(dekalb county ill)....now in Detroit (still midwest)....and has been re-enacting over 20 years now....i fully understand the up hill battle that Pyracy events in large has before it...trying to get some sembelance of orginization....trying to get us out of the laughing stoks...or looked down upon....and to attempt a truly historical presentaions...of one of the most turbulent and misunderstood times of our history.....

unfornately your actions has hurt us all...as well as the sword instance eralier.....once we get into the public eye....we are truly icons...and are looked up upon by the little ones....they want to emulate us...they want to be us.....even tho we are playin the bad guy...and no matter what our personal morals are at home...behind closed doors....once we don our apparel...its like we are doning our CAPE.....we then are held to a different set of morals....a different set of rules....we are no longer living for just us...whith just our needs and wants....but are now living evryones dreams....and most always uphold that responsibilty......

we are each of us...in this proffesion/hobby for a host of different reasons...each with different goals and agendas...but we most always strive...to never hinder their passions.

i truly hope you find your way in this .... for i see a difficult path before you.

sincerly,

Methusala Aluitious d'Dogge

M.A.d'Dogge

crewe of the Archangel

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

As a vendor, I can never condone what this man has done. As someone who has made mistakes in me own life, I can never deny him the opportunity to ask forgiveness. The real question is always "what of the second chance"? I've been a prosecuting attorney and a defense counsel. Our justice system is based on the ideal that people can make mistakes, pay for it, then start over again. I cannot tell this man what he must do, in any real sense, but if it were me, I would do what so many other criminals have done in the past - I would go away for awhile. Deprive meself of the society of these women and men who are living the life we all desire so heartily for a time and then return with hands ready to do the work of an Able Seaman and not a "Captain." There is no sin that a man cannot recover from except self-destruction. Or self-delusion.

But, I think, m'lad, that the issue of "title" be now moot. You've sullied your name. What you do now will determine your fate in this community forever. Seek the wisdom of Solomon a'fore ye take another, single, step.

And that's all I have to say about that . . .

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."