Hammer-Hatchet?

Tartan Jack

I have a tool laying around that needs a new handle.

It is a hatchet on one side and a hammer on the other.

(Edit: See post below for much closer pict)

Is there a proper name for it?

I was digging around stuff in my shed and found it with a rotten wooden handle.

I think it came with the house. I don't recall buying it.

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

I looked up it in those 2 "classic" Rev War books on kit ("Swords and Blades" and "Collectors Illustrated Encyclo") . . .

There is a hatchet in both that is very close. It also looks like the tomahawks, but as a hammer instead of a smoker.

Some on-line references show something similar as a "Riggers Ax" . . .

Does such exist for rigging?

(Or, am I making too much out of this?)

Edited by Tartan Jack

Cool.

So, I can just add a new pole and bring it as part of my kit.

It would be quite practical.

For those that actually, in real-life, work in ships rigging, is that something that would be expected to be used on-board?

uses on board include cutting fallen rigging (little use against current steel shrouds though), cutting cable in a hurry (cable as in really thick lines), clearing jambed companion ways, cutting heated cannon balls out of the deck to keep fires from spreading- no you cannot spike a ball with the pick end- you'll hurt yourself when it bounces off- the pick end is to pry it out- don't ask, personal defense. The axe is a piece of the ships equipment and a good boatswain would not let you debark with it, nor a belaying pin.

indeed it would go ashore for the good of the ship. sorry, just one of my pet peeves is "oh well i took it off the ship" as an excuse to remove anything from the ship and fassionably fasten it to a belt. if it goes ashore for a logical purpose anything can end up there. the belaying pins really don't need to go ashore especially since they have a designated purpose and if enough are lost... well the lines wont stay put as they are meant to. I once crewed on a vessel where many of the pins had been taken as souvenirs and not replaced. it sucked. anyhow, enough on that soapbox. GoF has some nice shots of various boarding axes. the one in your photos I believe would be more likely used by a cooper or maybe a shingle splitter, but would still be found aboard ship and used for various projects.

I have a pole hatchet that I use as a tool in camp. It came in handy when driving in the tent stakes, and it was carried into at least one skirmish. Still, a stone will drive a stake as easily as a tool plucked from off ship.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I hates ta toss a bucket o' cold on a roarin' fire, but it look like what ye got is a roofer's hammer. It be used fer splittin' shakes, dirvin' nails, and the notch in the blade be fer pullin' nails.

But don't let that stop ye from improvisin' use. Us in the sweet trade be used ta makin due with what we got to do what we must.

Evil Tiny

I'm not really evil...oh wait...yes I am!

Discipline is on the severe side of harsh, and I likes it that way.

Could be . . .

Some tools have been around for a LONG time and used for all sorts of things.

Some developed to look radically different.

Others stayed about the same.

I just found it and was curious is something similar was used in the GAoP on ship or not. The style certainly isn't modern. But, also one doesn't want to show up with something WAY out of date, either.

I figure it would be useful as a camp instrument during reenactments.

If unlike anything shipboard, I'd not be out anything and would just leave it at home or bury it in my stuff during the event.

Anyways, mine needs a new handle and if it WAS the same as a period tool, I'd go through the trouble of getting a period-appropriate handle. If not, I'd just get whatever the local hardware store had that fit.

It could be a rigging ax, pole axe, camping hatchet, and roofing hammer all at the same time.

I found it interesting that something similar has been used a number of places for a long time. Practical design lasts and lasts.

It be used fer splittin' shakes, dirvin' nails, and the notch in the blade be fer pullin' nails.

Oooooohhh... so that's what that notch in the blade is for! Thanks! I had no idea.

Anyway, I spent some time looking through axes in the archaeological record, and I couldn't find any that match this. I was especially curious about that notched blade. I don't recall seeing that on any of the axes I looked at.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.