10 Gun Sloop

First post here (whoo-hoo!), and thought I'd share a illustration I just started. It's the first time I've attempted to draw a sailing ship and it still has a long way to go. I really wanted to do something elaborate and huge like the Queen Anne's Revenge or HMS Victory but I thought I'd start with something simple and work my way up.

sloop1.png

As I am a most accursed landlubber, any comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated! And one question; is anyone aware of a particularly infamous pirate who used a sloop akin to this? I ask because I want to draw a suitable flag on it when the time comes.

Edited by Yellowbeard

Practically ALL of them.

Blackbeard used two of them to capture the Queen Anne's Revenge and was killed in a battle between his sloop (Revenge) and 2 under Robert Maynard.

The sloop was by far the most common ship used by pirates and most used one at some point in their career. Many preferred sloops to much larger craft, as sloops were faster, more maneuverable, and has a smaller draft. Also, many merchantmen only carried a few small cannon, so as not to interfere with cargo capacity and limited manpower. So, a well-armed and manned sloop could outman and even outgun a much larger merchantman.

Sloops ranged in size from 40 to 70-ish feet, with most 50-60 feet (I think). Their firepower ranged from 6-12 cannon, which were called "guns" or "big guns" on the sea, with 4 or 6 pounders as normal for sloops. 10 guns is a typical arrangement.

What you have on your hand is THE classic pirate boat.

I am interested in making one like that myself. Which kit are you using?

-- Edit: It is an ILLUSTRATION . . . I thought you were making a physical 3-D model . . . I stand corrected.

Oh, at the time, a ship was only a large 3-master. Sloops were considered boats, not ships.

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Additionally, if you name it "Revenge," you can make it both accurate for some of the most famous pirate sloops and also fairly generic too. That name was used often and repeatedly on pirate boats.

If you look under Captain Twill on here and at Pirate Brethren's http://www.piratebrethren.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27 you should find many topics on ship colors and details.

Edited by Tartan Jack

First post here (whoo-hoo!), and thought I'd share a illustration I just started. It's the first time I've attempted to draw a sailing ship and it still has a long way to go. I really wanted to do something elaborate and huge like the Queen Anne's Revenge or HMS Victory but I thought I'd start with something simple and work my way up.

sloop1.png

As I am a most accursed landlubber, any comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated! And one question; is anyone aware of a particularly infamous pirate who used a sloop akin to this? I ask because I want to draw a suitable flag on it when the time comes.

Wonderful work. Very well done in my estimation. I look forward to the finish.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

From the looks of it you will need to add a dolphin striker under the bowsprit, just remember the forestays come down to the bowsprit and normally form a 90 degree angle with the line opp it on the bottom.

:lol:

I think I'll be doing some more research!

-- Edit: It is an ILLUSTRATION . . . I thought you were making a physical 3-D model . . . I stand corrected.

It's drawn using paintshop pro x2 based off some photos of a physical model. I use paintshop for technical drawings because its vector drawing interface is much more user friendly to me than photoshops. I use Corel painter for figurative work, I'll post some of that too once I do something in keeping with the genre.

And thanks to all for the feedback, its very encouraging.

Well, got her done:

sloop5.png

I'm sure there is a ton of problems with the rigging, but I'm pretty happy with it as a first effort. Total time spent on it was about nine hours. Lots of fun to draw, I'll be doing more for sure, hopefully improving a bit with each one.

Quick question Vintagesailor; can you direct me to any sites that gives a pretty detailed overview of the rigging of period ships? It would be so much easier to draw if I understood the hows and whys of the rigging rather than just trying to copy a bunch of references. I'm familiar with basic concepts like standing and running rigging, square and lateen rigged, but not much beyond that.

There are a number of books on rigging that explain what is what and why.

Here are a few from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Period-Fore-...d=1YNN0STKEXORK

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Rigging-George-B.../ref=pd_sim_b_2

Also, the GAoP was the tailend of this period:

http://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Ships-Sprits.../ref=pd_sim_b_5

There are more than that.

Oh, and your sloop pict is now my screensaver.

Anyway you can make me a gray hull, black underside, and red trim on the wales?

(What about a Scottish St. Andrew's flag -blue with white X-on the topsail?)

Edited by Tartan Jack

Sort of like this?

tartanjack.png

Just want to make sure I have the color scheme right. I did a real fast flood-fill on the hull colors which its why it looks a bit jaggly. It will only take about 15 minutes to actually redraw the colors and I can knock it out for you tomorrow. No prob on the St. Andrews. Glad you like it!

Make the underside more black (black tallow) and pretty close.

Keep the Jolly Roger, just add a blue/white Scottish flag on top too.

-I am making my street vehicle (an 09 Scion xB) into a pirate sloop-theme. That will help sell/explain what I am doing better.

THANKS!

Edited by Tartan Jack

I supose you haven't taken statics, try to think of ever force requires a force in the opp direction.

diagram.jpg

(3) is the bowsprit it is under compression the hull acts in 1 direction and the forestay (1) and bobstay (2) provide the counteracting force.

The forestay forces are broken into 2 90 degree forces one along the bowsprit and the other perpindicular. The force perpindicular must be counteracted bay a force in the opp direction which would be (2), these forces would need to be equal therefore the angle between (2) and (3) must be as great as possible. Usually when all things come together the angle between (1) and (2) is 90 degrees but not always

I hope this helps

id.jpg